Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MFT 3.5.1 bugs

26K views 130 replies 50 participants last post by  dervari 
#1 ·
I thought I could start a thread specific for MFT 3.5.1 so anyone could report any bugs or glitches they find. Then ford could use the information to improve MFT on the next update.

Please try to keep it clean and no ranting or raving (you catch more flies with honey than vinegar) and keep it 3.5.1. specific, if you want to get 351 there is another thread for that.

I'll start, dealer installed 3.5.1 on 11-20-12 and so far all is well.

#51 ·
I had the chance to use the navigation yesterday. Substantially improved in my opinion. They got rid of several tiny buttons in the upper right corner and replaced them with a new menu button. It takes you right to several useful options and the larger button is much easier to use. The main screen is less crowded and looks a whole lot better.

As I mentioned earlier, my HD FM stations are locking in much faster and the signal is strong. Before, the HD would fade in and out which made it pretty much useless. I just thought I was in a weak coverage area. Now the stations come in strong. Glad to see the improvements.

#53 ·
Yet another lazy, uninformed or otherwise lying dealer. Ford really needs to get a handle on these guys because they are making Ford look worse than even Ford is making itself look. As for getting the update, if you don't have nav you might as well load it yourself.

#55 ·
3.5.1 did not fix my iPod Shuffle play bug.

The only way I can get my iPod to shuffle play is to use the Sync Voice Command each time the car is started. The Shuffle light remains lit, but the songs will only play in the order that they were placed on the playlist until I use the Sync Voice Command. After the command, the songs will shuffle as they should until the car is shut off.

On a positive note, I can now insert a keyboard Space character in the name of a Navigation favorite and I can make a cell phone call without the FM Radio switching on at the end of the call.

A definite improvement, but not there yet.

#59 ·
3.5.1 did not fix my iPod Shuffle play bug.

The only way I can get my iPod to shuffle play is to use the Sync Voice Command each time the car is started. The Shuffle light remains lit, but the songs will only play in the order that they were placed on the playlist until I use the Sync Voice Command. After the command, the songs will shuffle as they should until the car is shut off.

On a positive note, I can now insert a keyboard Space character in the name of a Navigation favorite and I can make a cell phone call without the FM Radio switching on at the end of the call.

A definite improvement, but not there yet.
FYI - they fixed that in v3.2.2.

#58 ·
Yeah, I thought about that. But on a pc, you can select boot device. They should give you the option so you can leave your usb stick plugged in or ipod or whatever w/o it playing on startup. It would very easy to make the last selected device (AM, FM, disc, sirrus or usb the default device on startup for the entertainment portion and still have the mft itself look for a usb device for updates on startup. All they need to do is include an .ini or .exe file on the usb stick with the update and have the mft look for it on startup, if it is not found then boot into last selection, that simple.

#62 ·
Dealer installed 3.5.1 on 11-28-12 and only two things "glitched" to a moment but cleared on next drive. The message "remote parking sensor ON" appeared and stayed in the display until I got where I was going - drive home was fine. And trying to switch to SiriusXM kept going to HD radio. Again, once shut off it was fine when started again.

Other then that, everything appears to be working, and performing faster.

And the temp now shows in the top of screen, which it did not before (I've only had this car three months and it came with v3.0.2 in it). And the NAV once again shows the street/road I'm on when displayed in the quad boxes.

#65 ·
I really hope that the next thing the mft team fixes is the media playback, it's so horrible. Just got back from Christmas shopping and the car decided to randomly index my zune 120 for no apparent reason, tune to a random radio channel and failed to keep my chosen station the next time the car was turned back on. Nevermind the teeny tiny scrolling of the station meta data and number scrunched in the corner of the display. What a joke. And this is on top of the problems I've already had with it. All bugs.

#69 ·
slightly off topic here but does anyone w/ v. 3.5 notice if mft dims faster at night when the headlights are turned on?

mine dims but it takes prob 30 seconds.. yea, i know that's not long but as all the other gauges are already dimmed it seems brighter and longer than it is.... just wondering if newer versions than my (perfectly working) v 2.11 dim faster.. thnx.

#71 ·
I had one last night. Leaving work and it took a while for my phone to connect. Didn't even notice because it usually connects so fast now. Switched to the nav screen while it was still trying to connect so I had "Connecting..." displayed in my phone tab for my entire drive. It did eventually connect and worked fine but the display never refreshed, even when I tried switching between various screens. Stopped at the store on he way home and when I restarted the car it was fine. Certainly not a big deal but a bug nonetheless. Hopefully just a one-off.

#81 ·
Just to add a "me too" to a previously reported bug. My reverse camera overlays keep turning off by themselves.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

I was one that mentioned this. I think I might have also figured out a way to avoid this bug. I used to immediately shift my car once I push the start button. When doing that it seemed like 50/50 chance my overlays would be gone. If, however, I wait until the boot animation completes on the MFT to then shift the vehicle into reverse then I have yet to have them disappear. It's almost like if you kick the camera on before the preferences have been re-loaded then they default to off.

#85 ·
Just got back from vacation and overall 3.5.1 is much better than previous versions but there are still some bugs. This first one on my list is especially annoying.

1. The fixed and active line settings for the rear view camera keeps resetting to off. I have had to reset it back to fixed and active at least five times in the past week.

2. I set my navigation destination to my home (about 250 miles away), went to a gas station to fill up, turned my car off, and when I was done filling up and started my car back up, the navigation showed my destination as Main Street, 3.5 miles away.

3. I have a thumb drive with all of my music. I selected an artist to play and selected all albums. I then selected the first song on the list (alphabetic listing). I then selected shuffle all songs. It played 8 songs out of 74 and was done. When I repeated the same thing, I looked at the display and the first song showed it was playing song 66 of 74, not 1 of 74.

#86 ·
Big indexed libraries of songs on thumb-drives trip up MFT bad.
Pretty pathetic in this day & age, when you stop and really think about it.

#90 ·
*Just* got it back from the dealer with 3.5.1 installed.

Entering WiFi keys that are not completely numeric is now BROKEN.

It still has the three buttons to select Alpha, Numeric, or Symbol entry. Only if you change away from the default Numeric keypad to the others, the keyboard displays all disabled. You can shift, caps lock, whatever. You can see (dark grey, disabled) the keypad. You just can't enter any data. Change to any of the others, including the numeric one which was working, and same thing.

Just spoke with Ford MFT Support. Agent said it was "a known problem" with no fix at this time. He said dealers were aware of it and they'd let us know when there was a fix. I'll take that bet.

Mind numbing. This was worked in every other version over the last year. The "best" version yet and this is all of a sudden broken.

#91 ·
Mind numbing. This was worked in every other version over the last year. The "best" version yet and this is all of a sudden broken.
Since their current testing method obviously isn't working, I suggest they make a tree diagram of every screen and make sure they have the correct alpha-numerical buttons allowed for each user-editable field...

#92 ·
My experience with v3.5.1 after one week (MFT no/NAV).

The Good
* Call quality is 1000% better! HFP is actually usable now.
* The system only crashed once this week!

The Bad
* Sometimes I have to manually power the climate system back on after starting the car.
* Sometimes I have to manually power the entertainment system back on after starting the car.
* Voice recognition is worse. Repeat the same command three times in a row to play a specific artist, get three different results.
* Can't answer incoming calls using the button on the steering wheel most of the time. I have to press the button multiple times to get it to answer.
* PAN still doesn't work right. I am pretty sure it's not my phone since I have it working fine with a Raspberry Pi and two Intel based Linux systems in my home lab.

All this after one week and I did a master reset pre and post update. Maybe I should run delayedreboot at least once a day now? The first four issues listed are new.

#93 ·
* Voice recognition is worse. Repeat the same command three times in a row to play a specific artist, get three different results.
Sorry to hear that. I know the pain. Going from 2.11 to 3.0.2 completely destroyed my voice commands, unusable for music. 3.5.1 made mine a lot better. Still not as good as 2.11 but way way better than the complete inability to use them I had with 3.0.2.

Still amazes me that while we all are installing the same software into cars with the same hardware the overall result can vary so significantly from person to person.

#95 ·
voice control wont work at all anymore

it was flawless before and I routinely was able to enter navi destinations on the first try using voice commands.

now I hit the button and no 'beep' or 'please say a command'. It just says listening with the little icon, nothing works. wtf happened?!

#97 ·
Sometimes it gets hung up, I guess. Whenever this happened to me, it meant there was about to be a "Performing System Maintenance" screen. I would use the delayedreboot to force it and it would go back to normal. [:p]

#98 ·
A few posts back, I reported that 3.5.1 has a bug that auto advances songs on its own (BT streaming on Spotify & Rdio). So in order to listen to music, I toggle off "Bluetooth Audio" and plug my phone into the USB. No problem.

But I noticed last week that my BT Audio screen no longer had the track number and elapse time displayed. So I toggled "Bluetooth Audio" back on and surprisingly, it worked flawlessly!

It worked for about a week and then one day, I get into the car and the track number and elapse time display was back...and so was the track auto advance bug. Damn.

My question is why is this happening? I have not done ANYTHING to the system. No master resets, delayed reboots, anything.
How can MFT change itself, by itself? I'm guessing it has to do with performing its own maintenance. By why does it fix, then break itself on its own?

#104 ·
Not really, it just means your previous mileage was not very good so the computer is predicting that you can't go as far.

The distance to empty seems to be calculated based on a running average of the vehicles mileage for that tank. At the beginning it starts off with the data from the previous tank and starts to adjust down from there until the vehicle is driven more. 310 /12.4 gallons is 25 mpg, 270 is 21.77 mpg. Both are quite low, but if you do a lot of stop and go driving and drive even moderately aggressively that would explain the low figures.

Unless there is also something mechanically wrong with the car.

But the only things that may affect the mileage that severely without making the car drive like crap are things like the tires air pressure.

#107 ·
This isn't new to v3.5.1 (I've seen it in older versions) but it sure seems to have gotten a lot worse...

My backup camera settings will not remain in place. Basically, every time I start the car, it resets the active guides to the 'off' setting.

I was at the dealer this morning and they told me their service manual (latest edition, but I didn't get a version number from them) states that this is normal. Specifically, my invoice reads, "customer states check reverse camera settings reset every time put in reverse - advise normal operation."

Certainly this can't be the case...? [scratch]

#108 ·
Normal is not always good...

It is happening to me as well, new car. Evidently, it is "normal" but that doesn't mean it is good... [gunfire]

#109 ·
I believe you posted this in another thread as well IIRC. As I replied, the issue seems to be caused by shifting into reverse before MFT has fully booted. Wait until MFT has booted and the setting will stick.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#121 ·
This is happening to me now after a remote start. So the car may have been running for 10 minutes. Also, this didn't happen at all for the first few months of this update; but is now happening all of the time. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the battery is becoming marginal; since the only other time I would see this behavior is after the MFT restarted.

Also, talk about bad updates, I tried to do this in my wife's Edge and the MFT suffered terminal hardware failure. After it said it would re-boot the screen went black and never came back up. The APIM is hopefully being replaced today.
MFT does not boot during remote start. It only boots once you get into the car, put your foot on the brake, and press the start button.

#122 ·
MFT does not boot during remote start. It only boots once you get into the car, put your foot on the brake, and press the start button.
I have a Viper remote start and the MFT comes on-line as soon as the remote start is engaged. Also the Viper has a proper remote start->key handoff so the car never shuts off when you get in.

#113 ·
Not generating the lines because the computer is "booting" might maybe be excusable. (But I doubt it's "booting"; may be waking up.) Changing the setting so it won't even try next time? That can't be "normal".

MFT continues to be far and away the least satisfying part of our '12 Focus.

#114 ·
MFT 3.5.1 is far from perfect but it is the best version out so far.

The entire reason of this thread was to compile a list of software related bugs in MFT 3.5.1 only so ford can fix these issues with the next major update. Eventually we will get a near flawless system, it will never be perfect as there is too many other hardware items that are tied into and part of the MFT that will keep it from being perfect. Not to mention there are customers out there who will never be happy and always find something to complain about.

#117 ·
Do you have nav? If yes then check what version of the SD card you have. the original 2.11 had the A2 card, when 3.02 came along it required the new A3 card, 3.22 still used the A3 card but when 3.51 came out a new A4 card was needed.

If you do not have nav then log onto syncmyride.com and download the free version checker tool and follow the instructions to check what you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.