crappy fuel mileage - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #51
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
PCM wouldn't care, 180 cam out is the same as dead on timing since both cam positions would still line up to TDC perfectly....................ANY TDC will work...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #52
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
PCM wouldn't care, 180 cam out is the same as dead on timing since both cam positions would still line up to TDC perfectly....................ANY TDC will work...............
Yep, there is no compression stroke TDC until after the cams and belt are installed. Then there are two TDC's and one can be 180* off.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #53
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Hmm - there is definitely a cam sensor in the later Zetecs - I'll have to check and see if there are 2 nubs on opposite sides of the end of the cam so that if it is 180 degrees out, the computer will still get the cam sensor pulses. Of course, the programmers _could_ could have put a routine in the computer to use the cam pulse even if it's coming in 180 degrees out...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #54
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108061
What I Drive: 2002 black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 curtisparker82 Good Standing Member
Changed ft rotors and the car rolls so much smoother...changeg pcv hose that was collapsed and the idle seemed to be better till i turned the heat off this morning and its still there...any ideas it seems to have a slight miss...there is oil in the intake you can see when you open the butterfly on the throttle body. Will that hurt it? If so how should i clean it out?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #55
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
i am going to guess that for some reason the engine is never moving to closed-loop operation. Drive it a while and get it nice and hot then take it to an auto parts store and have them scan it and look at all the sensor readouts and see if the engine is in closed-loop. If any of them look strange, then you may have a bad sensor.

The factory coil is going to be superior to any aftermarket coil. Get a factory coil from a wrecker and i'd bet the ilde miss goes away.
i have a gopoint cord and a ipod touch that works as a scanner how can i tell if it's in closed loop?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #56
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If the motor is missing it should through a cell right? The closed loop question may be a good question to ask in the ECU / Tuning section where some one their may know. I think its usually determined by the head temp or coolant temp. but that still would not tell you 100%. I think you would have to look at the fuel profiles and see when it switches. Or it could be even easier then that and their is a signal that says if its open or closed loop.

Oil on the intake may have a very slight performance hit because the walls are not as smooth as they may have been but this is very typical of all cars. Make sure you have a filter of some sorts between the valve cover vent and PCV lines going into the intake tube. The factory one can get clogged up bad when your PCV valve goes bad.

You can clean it if you wish, by removing the intake manifold to do so is not that difficult but is also not something you just do for fun. What do people recommend as solvents to use if he does decide to clean the intake? You will then want to make sure it has fully dried before installing it back in.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #57
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The last time it was missing when i had to get another coil it didnt throw a cel unless i power braked it to where it sounded like it was on the rev limiter @ 3k rpm...it's never really thrown a cel for anything not even when the alternator was going bad killing the engine at high rpm's...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #58
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Found my ipod touch and hooked up my gopoint cable for the obdii 02 sensor is reading .1v and sensor 2 .8v fuel trim 1-2% and that was at idle with coolant temp 167deg

Bookmarks & Social Networks