Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling

20K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  karmakc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I just got my tax return and I want to put the $ into my car.

I've got a 2004 ZX3 with just over 50k miles :) and in many ways I find the suspension to be satisfactory. I happen to drive over a stretch of highway that is 20 miles long and is a twisty bumpy road, I love it!

The deal is that I'd like less body roll, and more control over the car through the corners. The current suspension is still good and probably will last me a good while yet. So at this time I'm contemplating my options.

The SVT 3000ZX3 package makes a lot of sense, I've driven SVT Foci in the past and loved the dynamics of the suspension and the BRAKES. I'll probably get to the brakes later on however, my focus is getting the right shoes (tires) and suspension.

So getting to the meat of the question: What is the difference between the FRPP and SVT suspension in terms of ride and handling on a zx3?

I know the FRPP is a larger drop, does that mean the ride will be harsher as well? Also, many people in the forums have indicated that the FRPP settles in to a 2" drop rather than the stated 1.5" drop.

Ideally, people who have had both the SVT and FRPP set ups are the qualified individuals I would like to hear from.

My aim is to remain on the 16" stock rims and shoe them with Continental DW's. Any thoughts on those tires would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks![loveff]

See less See more
#6 ·
Santa Cruz= grab the FRPP's kit=1.5'' & a set of Star Spec's

Living in Santa Cruz, grab the FRPP's kit, you'll love it. I'd also do Dunlop's Direzza Sport Z1= Star Spec's, or for a little less cash, Hankook's Evo 12's. I use to race up & down 17.

#3 ·
I tried the FRPP suspension on my '05 ST, and for the roads I regularly travel, it was too harsh. I replaced the FRPP with a stock SVT suspension from Steve @ Tousley. Perfect compromise between handling and comfort, together with Conti DWS on 17" ST200 rims, (and 24"rear/22"front sways) its perfection, at least for the ST, heavier than your ZX3. However, my '04 SVT, with stock suspension, is one level above the ST. Good luck.

#4 ·
Soo your basically telling him to go with svt....lol.... I'm driving a 2003 svt right now and had a stock 2000 zx3........ Overall I can corner better then I ever have in any car I owned...... That's including a 2008 civic........ But the only thing bad about my svt is the header rubs the ground in heavy dips and tires sometimes rub fenders........ so really I don't know if I have stock svt suspension or if it has been modified......

#11 ·
The thing that is holding me back a little from the FRPP is that it drops the car, thus reduces the suspension travel. I'm okay with that sort of set up on the highways however local roads already has my car's front lip dragging at certain intersections.

Also, I suppose it is safe to assume the FRPP does not offer a sway bar?

Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming.

#15 ·
Another thought that came to my mind is if I were to go with FRPP or even the SVT, was that I may get into a little more trouble.

Mind you, my car has no ABS nor TC unlike the SVTF; so I guess I'm looking for a suspension that has mild undertones of understeer without any oversteer, unless induced by trail braking or lift off oversteer...

#17 ·
FRPP's spring's/strut's/shock's= Toulsey Ford

You really won't have any issue's w/ either setup. Your strut's/shock's are probably worn out= more body roll/ brake dive. Lowering your car lower's the center of gravitiy= Lot less body roll & brake dive= you will find your brake's work better, instead of having a lot of weight tranfer. You will find you need more work on your car to get lift throttle oversteer w/ this FRPP's suspension.

#21 ·
Just out of curiosity, how much does the FRPP set up cost? Does it include (at least) the rear sway bar?

If I'm spending close to $5oo on tires w/o installation, I can't really afford to stump up another $5-600 on the FRPP. And if indeed, they cost this much, I may very well just go with the SVT kit and call it a day.

#24 ·
As far as my research has taken me, yes the ride height would be similar (especially if both are wearing similar to OEM wheel/tire combo). If I'm not mistaken the ride height between a 16" and 17" rims are negligible because of the aspect ratio of the tires involved...

The SVT suspension is exactly the same suspension found on the 2002-04 SVT Focus, when sold by dealerships.

We're lucky that they're still being sold and to be honest, the price point is very hard to resist, on top of which - the reviews for a focus with the SVT kit are through the roof.

Now if only we could get an affordable brake package that would rival the SVTF.

#25 ·
Posted via FF Mobile When I bought my FRPP kit I asked about upgrading the rear sway bar and the front sway bar. Hilbish Ford got the kit and Eibach front and rear sway's for a little over 600 all together.

#28 ·
The FRPP kits are not really kits, they're a mixture of parts from the Ford Racing catalog. In telling me that you have a 2k7, I know that they're slightly different from the ones that I'll be getting.

So your car didn't come with a rear sway bar...and you paid for the Steeda? So it's safe to assume the FRPP package you got does not include a sway bar set...What sized sway bars did you get?

How does she ride? I'm sure it is true and firm, however I'd like to know if the FRPP is really that much better than the SVT kit. I'm looking for a DD with a bit more oomph. Will the FRPP be too harsh for a DD?

#29 ·
Posted via FF Mobile The front Eibach sway is 1 step up from stock and the Steeda rear sway bar I got was a 22mm bar.

I took the car in for service last year and the Ford mechanic told me that the frpp is almost identical to the svt set up minus the rear disk brakes.

For me it rides kinda rough but that has a lot to do with me having 18's an low profile tires. But it hugs curvy roads like you would't believe.

#39 ·
I believe the dampers/struts are the same as on the SVT kit, makes sense. How long have you had the FRPP?

My FRPP sedan will smack down on really rough spots in the road. When new, the set-up bordered on harsh on merely crappy roads; after it broke in until now (30+K on them), it’s been firm, communicative, and precise about going where you want to go. It reminds me of the ride qualities of well set-up motorcycles. It behaves very well indeed on fast mountain roads: comfortable and confident.
Very useful review of the FRPP Chrissy. What size rims do you have?
FRPP 1.5 inch drop is what I got, and on the roads of CT? I'm happy.
If CT is anything like NJ or NY, then what you're saying is the stiffer springs can handle anything...any issues with the dampers? I've read elsewhere on the forums that the FRPP springs are a touch too much for the SVT dampers and they may have to be replaced more often...

#30 ·
My FRPP sedan will smack down on really rough spots in the road. When new, the set-up bordered on harsh on merely crappy roads; after it broke in until now (30+K on them), it’s been firm, communicative, and precise about going where you want to go. It reminds me of the ride qualities of well set-up motorcycles. It behaves very well indeed on fast mountain roads: comfortable and confident.

#32 ·
How does the FRPP handle without a sway bar? I know my ZX3 has the stock bar...with the stiffer set up, would it be detrimental to get the system without at least the SVT rear sway bar or a stock rear sway bar?

#34 ·
I had my FRPP kit for about 2 months or so before I installed Steeda's 22mm rear sway bar (my car did not have a rear bar.) With out the rear bar, the FRPP was a noticeable improvement over stock but I feel like the rear bar was helpful in turns and when pushing the car harder (on/off ramps)

I also upgraded my front sway bar to the SVT's 21mm from my stock 18mm size. The addition of the rear bar was more noticeable than increasing the front but they work well together and I feel they help the car act more neutral and predictably in the turns.

#35 ·
I put the FRPP kit on my G/F's '09 SES and it handles great. I wish it were about a half inch lower, but it feels solid on hard turns, and it's comfortable enough for a daily driver even on harsh roads. The only time I rubbed was when the trunk was loaded with groceries and two (heavier) people were in the back seat.

#36 ·
Continental DW or DWS

Seeing that you're the manager at the Big - O, what is your experience with Continental DW vs DWS? I've wanted the DW but realize that in less than 40 degree weather the tire may become a liability. Know anything about that?

Why do you wish it is lower? And do you have a sway bar set up on it also?

#43 ·
Just called Tousley and got quoted $587.40 + shipping for the FRPP (dynamic) kit.
And 247 - 287 for the SVT kits.

I think this is a no brainer at this point. Steve and Mike were thorough and helpful.

#44 ·
We have the same car...exactly! The FRPP kit is really nice. The rebound is a little fast but that's expected whe the suspension travel is reduced. The Dynamic kit is what they used for spec Focus racing and I wish I could afford it but the SVT/FRPP Springs work nice. I would try to find a bigger sway bar as well...that's my next mod.

Tires...not sure if Conti has the DW/DWS in stock for our rim size. I got Yokahama S-Drives for a good price and I like them a lot.

Lastly, get an allignment and make sure you budget for it or you will not realize the benefits of the drop and your tires will get ruined.

#46 ·
Sup Homey

Hey Homey! Yup we have the same spec car. Mine was built in 2004 and sold in 04, there is some hybridization of parts between the 05 and mine...

Does your ride come with ABS or power windows/locks? If not, your car and mine are identical.

Some of the mods I've done include the Mach headlight swap, added fog lights, fog light/high beam mods, K&N FIPK II (keeping it CARB legal), DIY short shifter and more...

I'm finally getting down to the nitty gritty and I've pretty much decided on the SVT suspension, the FRPP (dynamic) set up is out of reach considering I really started out needing tires that don't surprise me in the wet.

The suspension was a bit of an after thought. And as I've driven several SVT's I know what to expect. As much as the FRPP kit is appealing, my budget simply does not account for both tires and suspension.

The DWS or DW are definitely available on TireRack in the 205/50R16 size.

Are you looking for a bigger sway bar than the one included with the SVT kit?

#47 ·
Alright folks, so the decision has been finalized based on the availability of funds. I'm going with the SVT suspension, as I started this endeavor needing tires...

Thank you to all for your input and guidance.

I'll be making the purchase later this week. If any of you know where I can get the FRPP kit for ~$350, I'll be happy to change my mind, but I believe that kit has been discontinued.

Happy trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.