Low Budget Homemade ZX3 Turbo Setup (On and Spooling!!!!!) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
bluballer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22553
What I Drive: 2000 Candy Red ZX3 5sp Turbo soon?

FF Reputation: 2 bluballer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Low Budget Homemade ZX3 Turbo Setup (On and Spooling!!!!!)

I saw this thread and said to myself basically I 'm doing this too (~$500 turbo kit). I'm doin' it a little different though ....Got it mounted and spooling going to the muffler shop this week ( down pipe :-) ). I will post pics and price list soon... P.S. mine is a T-3 setup using the GET THIS .....STOCK MANIFOLD MODIFIED ...To mount the T-3. I am going for mild boost 8lb w/no lag using a RELIABLE internally gated SAAB Turbo (oil and water cooled), a Volvo intercooler with a volumetrically matched electric cooling fan (for reducing idle related heat soak), To feed it I am using 42lb injectors and a matched 70mm Pro Mass unit.... Its a slick simple low cost setup that if it works correctly will push the envelope for DIY turbo setups for the ZX3 FOCUS!!! No disrespect TOM I LOVE YOUR (S_ IT) This is just so I can learn for myself. NEXT time you get my money ....engineering asystem that works correctly and low cost is hard work (respect)!!!! LOL and Tom, I'mma need some tuning too please so HALLA @ a BLU-BALLA!!! Can we work together on this thing?

Last edited by bluballer; 03-28-2006 at 09:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
dwdgsi03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2298
What I Drive: 2000 Midship Runabout

FF Reputation: 1 dwdgsi03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wow, from what I see, looks like pretty deent work. Did you do all of this yourself, the custom fabrication and stuff?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
R1ck 22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26054
What I Drive: 2002 fort knox zts

FF Reputation: 1 R1ck 22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
if you get it working write up a how too that would be awsome for us on a budget

mods: spectre cai kamakize hedder mbrp exhaust enki 17's kenwood ddx 7015 kac 7202 and 10'' mtx 5500s c/f oem style hood poison body kit 1.25 drop springs
Old 03-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 232,586, Level 100
Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I will give credit for getting this far. Do you have gear to measure AFR and EGT? If not, don't boost it at all till you get a tune. You have no idea what its doing.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
rockthezx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Never seen a top mount intercooler in a focus (minues the WRC car). I'd like to see a write up on it also.
...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
f00t
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25867
What I Drive: the old batmobile

FF Reputation: 1 f00t Good Standing Member
awesome, budget turbo systems are taking off. i bet were gonna see alot more of these in the future
Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
bluballer
Focus Enthusiast

dwdgsi03 believe it or not there is not much fabrication to it.....the greatest of which what the manifold mod. Im not a welder... but a decent one can do it relatively inexpensive.

I did design/manufacture the brackets (very reasonable) and engineer the system. Because of the intercooler location the pipes are straight line (straight pipes). The blow off valve fits on a preformed pipe so no special molding there. It's connected with silicon elbows and connectors.

viney266 I do have all the required gauges and will try not to boost unless I know whats going on. I agree with you I really need to know whats going on ....LOL I'm lazy I dont wanna swap to a built engine yet!!!! And TOM (if you help me I Love you man!!!!! ) on that tune!!!

And rockthezx3 You are right I hadnt seen top mounted intercooler before that much either but I did see some Wide bodied Foci (red and yellow) that had an air to water intercooler in the same spot. Looked so sweet to me so I had to have it. Some like'm great big but for the boost amount Im trying to achieve, that intercooler came off a car with the A. same size engine using B. the same size turbo running C. the same about of boost. so for me that was a no brainer....if it works reliably and efficiently on Volvo's and SAAB's it for 100's of thousand of miles it should work for my meager application here too. The only thing I had to do to put it there was to relocate the battery to the rear "boot" where it belongs (as on many european cars)

I've also gone through the additional detail of putting a electric fan on the bottom side that will flow the maximum required volume of air through it at idle. ( I used the intercooler core size/flow calculations to find my correct fan.

Speaking of European ..... I've got a WRC style front clip (Ibherdesign) special ordered from EUROPE along with other European Body Mods (Portugal, England, Germany) that I'm going to incorporate into this one of a kind EuR-A-FoCuS!!! and the A is for American!!!!

Much more on the way but thank you all for support so far.....I was glad to hear it spool and see no smoke!!!! Keep ya fingaz crossed for me on the downpipe... gonna be a tight fit....

HALLA@ a BLU-BALLA!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
How are you getting outside air to the intercooler???

Seriously it needs ALOT of fresh air blowing through it.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
lg03focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22162
What I Drive: 2003 liquid grey sedan

FF Reputation: 1 lg03focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 03OrangeSVT
How are you getting outside air to the intercooler???

Seriously it needs ALOT of fresh air blowing through it.
actuallyonly running only 8 lbs he doesnt need an intercooler at all. 9 lbs is teh common threshold for intercooled or not. and if i read right he said he is putting a fan on the intercooler kinda like a b+m tranny cooler setup
Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
bluballer
Focus Enthusiast

Egggggggggggzactly lg03focus additionally Im going to have a vented (EVO I think its called) hood that will provide a flow through location close if not exactly atop where my intercooler is located (a lot of thought and research went into my concept before I bought the first piece)..... This is not going to be some 500 hp, eat a Vette Monster.... (If I keep the car till I want a rip snorting monster I'll build an engine and go with a Tom's or equivalent setup )..... I just want something that suprises (stealthy and compact) and is commensurate with the eventual styling of the vehicle, and that I can use my otherwise stock (might add LSD to make it stickier and a stronger clutch when I burn this one up) drivetrain with .... plus im going to get the air from the same place that a volvo or a saab would get it .....and I dont think either has a huge front mout ic on 8lbs of boost either.

In fact my 84 SAAB turbo (with the original engine, factory APC tunning and turbo 186,000 miles no leaking or burning oil ) runs like a BULL reliably with NO Intercooler.....I'm convinced and will say it again though it's been said many, many, many, many times before .....for this car "It's all in the tuning" ....the physics is there and has been done and tested......everyone can achieve boost...... but the technology is definately in the tuning...... If I can achieve ~200 whp reliably with a low cost (hoping for less than a $1000) per smiles technology ....My Job is DONE!

O and if anyone is interested..... This link shows the first tuner car I poured everything into 1990 Acura integra.... she got totalled when an idiot ran a red light and caved into my side.... The focus is replacing it for now http://www.cardomain.com/ride/339883 not bad for a piece of crap I had to have towed home initially!!!! some of my other build ups are linked in the favorite links portion of that page....

Last edited by bluballer; 03-11-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.