2005 Gauge cluster removal - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
InfraRedZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28245
What I Drive: 2005 Infra-Red ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 InfraRedZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2005 Gauge cluster removal

I would like to remove the black gauge background on my 2005 ZX3 and replace it a white faced background. However, the how to's that I've seen show 3 screws that you remove to start with, and I can't find those on the 2005 dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
jabber
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24679
What I Drive: 2002 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 jabber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The screws are up under the dash as pictured below. I think these are the ones your looking for. Then the black surround piece comes off. Then there are four more screws holding the gauge surround and glass piece.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
floydzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17858
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black ZX3 ses

FF Reputation: 1 floydzx3 Good Standing Member
you know i was sitting in my car at lunch at work and was wondering the same thing.so if anybody has attempted this let us other foci enthusiast know
Old 10-01-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
jabber
Focus Enthusiast

Tried what? Replacing the gauge surround? I've done it! I actually replaced mine with the one that comes in the 05 ST. Looks like this:

Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
floydzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17858
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black ZX3 ses

FF Reputation: 1 floydzx3 Good Standing Member
what he is saying is on the 05 we dont have the two screws at the top of the dash to remove the outer surrounding. my guess is it must be clipped in there. so has anyone tried this on an 05,
Old 10-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
jabber
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry man! I get it now! Good luck figuring it out!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
InfraRedZX3
Focus Enthusiast

So is there nobody here that has taken their guage cluster out of an '05 ZX3?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
Nope havent tried it man. I dont even want to try figuring out how that thing comes out. Doesnt look as easy as the 2004 and later models.
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 10-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
InfraRedZX3
Focus Enthusiast

I did notice down by the stearing column there are two screws on each side. I wonder if these are for the dash?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Tools you will need:
A 7mm socket
A 10mm socket
Screw Driver (helps when sockets wont fit)

*IMPORANT* NO 00-04 GAUGE CLUSTER WILL WORK IN AN 05 THE CONNECTOR ON THE BACK LACKS 4 PINS THAT ALL 04'S HAVE YOU MUST HAVE AN 05 CLUSTER!

Ok now that thats out of the way!

Step 1: Move your steering wheel into the lowest position you can (I couldn't mine doesnt tilt or telescope can you say "next mod!")

Step 2: The plastic shroud around the steering wheel is 2 separate pieces pull up on the top piece by the back of the airbag cover it should pop right up, then push back on the rubber cover that goes down under the dash to loosen it up.

Step 3: Once the steering column cover is removed then you can get to unscrew the lower part of the dash. There are 2 screws 1 is located next to the cd holder in the dashboard on the right the other is on the right side of the steering wheel right in the line of sight the CD player buttons are. Remove both of them and pull up and out it should come loose about 2-3 inches

Step 4: Remove the bottom screw on the dash panel on the right side of the car in the foot well (you'll find it just feel for it) pull the rest of the left side of the dash down revealing a hidden screw that holds in the upper dash cover that surrounds the gauge cluster.

Step 5: Remove the screw holding on the plastic (and gauge cluster) around the light switch to completely free the cluster for removal.

Step 6. On the left side of the gauge cluster shroud pull up and out with your hands it takes some force but it wont hurt anything. Once it pops loose you'll notice that the trunk release button is still connected squeeze the connector to disconnect it or pop it out completely by pushing forward.

Step 7: Once the shroud is out of the way you can now see the 4 screw that hold in the gauge cluster there are 2 up top and 2 on the button by the steering wheel. Remove them to free the gauge cluster.

Step 8: Remove the cord from the back of the gauge cluster by pressing down on the top of the connector and pulling the lever half way up and then pulling up to loosen the connector and then pulling the lever to release the connector fully. Put the new cluster in by just pressing in the new cluster and locking down the lever back in place.

Step 9: Put everything back together and start your car an now enjoy having a tach and being able to race dRew and actually know what RPMs your doing so you can shift and win a race against him.

Thanks to BackNFocus for the info.

---Randy

Bookmarks & Social Networks