Rear swaybar mounting brackets solution - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
bigal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21961
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bigal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rear swaybar mounting brackets solution

For those of you that have no provisions to mount a swaybar such as the 05 S,SE models,I have a solution that works.I have tested it at the track and autocrosses and it has held up to all the abuse I could throw at it.
It is simple and cheap.
First of all,
I installed the bottom end of a HD 2.75" muffler clamp cut to the shape of the crossmember.
I purchased one strip of metal from Lowes 5/16" thick and 1.5" W and roughly cut it to the shape of the swaybar D clamp and also drilled elongated holes to match the holes in the Progress bar D clamp. I used two pieces of 5/16" metal behind each d clamp so it would push the bar back a little so the endlinks would line up properly. I had a machine shop cut it neatly so it would look almost factory.
The 3/8 bolts are Grade 8 and so are the washers and locking nuts. Bolts are 3.5"Long. That is basically it and I hope this helps some of you that have a problem. Here are some pictures of the install.
http://community.webshots.com/album/440036606XVfNty

Last edited by bigal; 11-30-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
05WhiteZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19917
What I Drive: 2005 Cloud 9 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 05WhiteZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford actually sells a kit to add the rear sway bar to those vehicles that do not come with it standard...just another option - although it might be a more expensive one

Team Duratec #28

K&N AirCharger, Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
Old 11-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
bigal
Focus Enthusiast

The last few months I researched this topic and went to Ford Dealers and emailed a few and no one had a solution. The only thing offered was a new crossmember since the original mounts are welded to it. My way has proven to be holding up quite well so far and cheaper I am sure. After several autocrosses and a couple of track days it has been flawless. So I guess it is up to the individual to make their choice. I sure would like to know the part number for that kit and see what it looks like.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
LittleCinqCoupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25729
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LittleCinqCoupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the pictures!

Do you have a pic that shows the other ends of the sway bar (i.e. where the sway bar endlinks are), and how it attaches to the body?

I haven't looked closely at the end-link area -- but maybe there are factory provisions on all cars, and I don't need to fabricate anything on the end-link side?

Thanks again
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
bigal
Focus Enthusiast

No need to fabricate anything for the endlinks,the holes are already there. Your'e welcome
Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Sweet, thankd for the post and method bigal! Gonna save mad money from this. How you like them apples, cheapo Ford?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
05zx3slowcus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13060
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ZX3 S...angriaRed

FF Reputation: 1 05zx3slowcus Good Standing Member
I just finished making the brackets for my '05 S model and put a Progress bar on. It's one of the best things I've done! Now I when I turn the wheel, the front tires just dig in. And while accelerating in turns, inside wheel spin is greatly reduced. Although it is more easily coaxed into oversteer, it is just a controllable as before.

I've got enough metal left to make 2 more sets of brackets. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'll ask for $5 + shipping, basically the cost of materials and a few extra Dremel cut-off wheels. It will include two meal strips with the proper holes drilled, and the two muffler clamps cut to fit the crossmember. I'll put a coat of black paint on them too. I could get you the right bolts too, but it'll be another $2 or something.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
What kit are you talking about, i work for Ford and havent seen a kit to add a bar. Or are you talking about the rear subframe that FRPP has?

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
05zx3slowcus
Focus Enthusiast

It's not a Ford kit, its home-made. Other than making them yourself, the only other way to do it would be to replace the entire rear subframe like FRPP has.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
05zx3slowcus
Focus Enthusiast

Just a quick update for those interested in the rear sway bar brackets:
I have gotten more requests for these than I expected, but unfortunately I am not a machine shop. I currently have to make these by hand with a dremel, so it takes some time. The two sets that I mentioned above are spoken for, and I'm still not even done making those. However, if I continue to get more requests, I may look into buying some better tools so I can make them faster. I could always use a good excuse to buy more tools. So please continue to post here or PM me if you're interested, but for now the brackets are out of stock.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->