How To: 05 center console/dash removal(part 1) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17881
What I Drive: 2006 white ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 GAfocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
How To: 05 center console/dash removal(part 1)

Okay, this is still a work in progress, so bear with me.

Tools needed:
rachet with a 7mm and 8mm socket.
phillips head screwdriver
Knife blade(or you can use a flat head screwdriver, I used the knife because it was not as wide as the screwdriver.
PATIENCE! I can't stress this one enough. If you stress out, you will break something. I stressed and now need a new armrest :(

step 1: Remove the bezel around the radio with the knife/ flathead srewdriver. Just insert it at one of the top corners, and gently pry out. Repeat with the other corner. Next, grasp the top of the bezel and pull outwards. There are a total of six clips.

Step 2: remove the wires connecting the lighter and A/C controls and set the bezel out of your way. Next, remove the radio and disconnect the harness, antenna, and RCA cables(if you have an amp). The radio is held in place by 4 screws that require one of the two sockets. Set the radio out of the way.

**Step 3 is a manual only step. For those with automatics, I have no clue how yours is removed, but part 1 should be about the same**

Step 3:Part 1: Removing the center console: Take out the two cup holders, and remove the two phillips head screws under them. Now, go to the back seat, and, using a knife/flathead, pry out the cover over the last screw. the cover is on the flat section right above the rear cup holder. Be patient with the cover, or you will destroy it (Just like me!)

Step 3:Part 2: Next, while still in the back seat, right below the armrest is a small panel that will pop out to reveal the two screws holding the armrest on. I belive they were phillips head too. After the armrest is out of the way, pull the e-brake up as far as it will go, then start to lift the console up from the rear. As you start to pull it over the e-brake, reach under and slide the boot up over the end of the brake handle. You might have to slide the console around a little to be able to fully clear the e-brake, and also might need to shift gears. Next you will need to pop the shift boot bezel out of the console. Just pop the retaining clip and lift out. Now, you should be able to toss the center console off to the side.

Step 4: Remove the four screws holding the panel underneath the steering wheel. These use the 8mm socket. After you remove the four screws, there is a clip on the top left corner. Just pull, and it will come out. I did not disconnect any of the wires attached to this panel, and just let it lay on the floorboard.

Step 5:Right under the dash there is a plastic panel that covers the area between the center console and the dash itself. it is held on by two 7mm screws and clips under the dash. unclip it and toss it to the side.

Removing the vents: the center and passenger side vents are held in by clips, and should be gently pried up from the bottom. they are a pain to get on and off. Thdrivers side is held in by a screw and a clip. to get to the screw, you have to remove a 7mm screw that attaches the piece of the dash around the gauge cluster. I tried to remove the whole pice, but I was getting frustrated and tired, so I just pried it up enough to et a stubby phillips driver in there to remove the screw.

Glovebox removal: three screws under the glovebox, and towards the back. they use the 7mm socket I think. then just open, push in on the sides, and toss out of the way. Right beside the glovebox is a small piece of trim that pops out. Just pry it and it should come out.

Door sill trim: the plastic pieces on the door sills just need to be pried, and they start to pop out. Then just pull the rest of the way, and toss in the evergrowing pile of parts :) The piece just above the one you removed is held in by two plastic, flathead screws on the drivers side, and I believe it is the same for the passenger(On the passenger side piece, watch out for the fuel stop button) Right above this piece, you pry out the bottom, and slide the top down and out. this piece gains you access to two 8mm screws(on each side) that connect the full dash panel to the car.

That's as far as I got before I felt like I needed a bottle of quervo, but maybe in the next week or so, I will figure how to remove the restof the dash. Hope this helps the rest of my 05 crew!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
I added this to the HOW TO archive, please let me know when you post up (Part 2) or however many more there will be.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

alright. I'll hhopefully have it next week or so

Current mods: None:(
Old 03-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
PM me and let me know.... great work. If you got pics, please add them to this thread also.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

Thanks. I didn't have my camera, but I'll get one for the next set.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
fishman1324
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22353
FF Reputation: 1 fishman1324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
when you took the pieces off the door, how did you get the door handle off?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

I didn't take anything off of the door, just the sill trim that is directly beneath the door when it is closed. I think the handle is held in by a screw that is under a little plastic cover.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
brandon0133
1fastfocus05

Fan#: 35345
What I Drive: 2005 zx4,

FF Reputation: 3 brandon0133 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
why are u taking all this stuff off anyways..just wondering...
TEAM DURATEC #150
Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
babyface
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
he's bored?
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
SpecialEd

Fan#:
this was helpful because now i know how to remove the console on my 05 to put switches for neons

Bookmarks & Social Networks