SVTF-Winter Tire reviews - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
shadrach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4319
What I Drive: 2003 Infared SVT Focus 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 shadrach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVTF-Winter Tire reviews

Can anyone who's running/ran winter/snow tires on the SVT leave a quick comment? I'd like to get a nice post covering the options for any other SVT owners out there, maybe something that can be stickified for the winter. (I've read through past posts here, on FJ, and SVTOA, but there is a lot of conflicting info.) This will probably be a hot topic over the next few weeks.

NOTES: SVT requires 16" wheels or larger (here's a good thread covering wheel/tire fitment choices.)

Wheels: Ford Focus/Contour/Cougar 16"x6" stock wheels
Tires: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 - P205/55/HR16
Comments: I haven't received these yet, but based on my research across Focus forums and reviews on Tire Rack, this seems like the best deal right now for my needs. Chicago weather can be a mixture of different conditions in a single day, but is dry more than it is wet/slush/ice. These tires only come in 55mm sidewall sizes, but some others owners seem to be running 50mm as well, although the size difference is marginal. With the factory offset there shouldn't be clearance issues.

03 SVT Focus #1612
95 Eclipse GSX - sold
98 Honda CBR F3

Last edited by WD40; 11-29-2004 at 03:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
svt_rodg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8742
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 svt_rodg Good Standing Member
i'm running those tires on my svt and they're great. decent handling and very little road noise. hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
biketcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3796
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black Focus SES 5-spd (D

Points 640, Level 12
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 biketcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have Continental ContiExtremeContacts on the stock rims - they work really, really well in rain and dry, but I have yet to use them on snow or ice. They must be a soft compound because they flatspot overnight, but I've gotten used to it and the tires only vibrate for a couple miles in the morning on the way to work before they warm up. Unfortunately, the snow has been hiding from us here in MN this year, so I can't give snow impressions.

Currently proud owner of a Pitch Black 2007 Focus SES 5-spd (2.0 Duratec) with all manner of options, but no mods...yet.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
SVTmonkey
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Continental ContiExtremeContacts:

Impressive in dry conditions, although obviously not as good as summer tires. Rain handling is awesome, it really takes a lot to get that hydroplaning feeling. Snow performance is really good, I took a trip up to Jasper, Alberta, where the highway was covered in snow/packed snow/ice, and these tires did really well! I was definitely impressed with how well these tires performed in the snow. Then again, they are the highest rated all-season tire for snow conditions. The reason i went with all-season tires is that we usually have a lot of dry roads between snow falls and I didn't want to deal with wear on the soft compound winter tires. The durability on these tires is really good (according to reviews on tirerack), and it comes with a good warranty, including a one year road hazard warranty!

If you get a lot of dry conditions in between snow falls in your city, I would definitely go with these, they are awesome! Oh, and I haven't experienced any flatspotting yet.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
Thin_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7370
What I Drive: 2007 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Thin_J Good Standing Member
About how much do the Extreme Contacts run?

Is that something I can just put on the stock rims?
Mac Axleback Exhaust
Old 11-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Tires: Bridgestone WS-50
Size: 205/50/16
Wheel: Focus premium pack 16"s
Price: $108 each w/ free mounting & balancing

Verdict: The good first. For the enviroment for which they were purchased for I couldn't be more pleased. In snowy, icy, and slushy winter driving these things just scream control in all driving situations with their best attribute being braking. You have to intentionally tray and very hard at that to get these tires to release traction under those conditions. They are also very quite too.

Now the bad. Dry road handling has been degraded substantially. I've actually had a few very hairy moments while driving with these on. Most noticeable would be braking while in the apex of a corner where the back end really feels like it wants to cut loose. It's so bad that twice I have pulled over to make sure that I still had a rear sway bar. The sidewalls are very soft so irregardless of what pressure you run the tires sag a good deal. Lastly, while it remains to be seen if my front springs are the culprit I have rubbed 3 times now at moderate speeds.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
SVTZX503
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2441
What I Drive: 2003 SVT CD Silver ZX5(TotalledOff)

FF Reputation: 1 SVTZX503 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have the Bridgestone Blizzack on my SVT F.
I got 17" as I couldn't find any 16 rims last year when I needed them real quick. They are great. No problems on dry pavement , great in snow and on icey roads.Very little roads noise. Last year I paid $1000 cdn for them installed and balanced.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #8
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
15's DO fit... just gotta find the right rim... I remember reading a post about a guy with an SVT and having 15's like 4 months ago.

Anyways, I'm glad we didn't get any snow yet, and I hope we don't for a while! That way I don't have to worry about the idiots driving in snow!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #9
biketcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3796
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black Focus SES 5-spd (D

Points 640, Level 12
Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12 Points: 640, Level: 12
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 biketcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've had Blizzaks on my old Jetta and they were so grippy that I couldn't do a proper ebrake turn even in very slick conditions - as soon as I let off the ebrake the car would instantly correct itself! However, being dedicated snow tires, they SUCKED in dry conditions (worked ok in the rain, though).

I bought my ContiExtremeContacts in our stock size (215/45-17) for $94/each on TireRack.com, but I don't know what their price is now (bought them about two months ago). They grip better in the wet and rain than any all-season tire I've owned before - with one exception - my wife's Altima's Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's (HOLY SCHNOTZKYS! These babies grip!). Why do they grip so well? Must be all that money that's molded right into the rubber - these suckers were $200/each. There are two reasons I bought them: 1. Michele (Mrs. Biketcher) 2. Logan (baby Biketcher @ 5 months).

Currently proud owner of a Pitch Black 2007 Focus SES 5-spd (2.0 Duratec) with all manner of options, but no mods...yet.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites
Tires: Bridgestone WS-50
Size: 205/50/16
Wheel: Focus premium pack 16"s
Price: $108 each w/ free mounting & balancing
Now the bad. Dry road handling has been degraded substantially. I've actually had a few very hairy moments while driving with these on. Most noticeable would be braking while in the apex of a corner where the back end really feels like it wants to cut loose. It's so bad that twice I have pulled over to make sure that I still had a rear sway bar. The sidewalls are very soft so irregardless of what pressure you run the tires sag a good deal. Lastly, while it remains to be seen if my front springs are the culprit I have rubbed 3 times now at moderate speeds.
You are definately feeling the excess soft sidewall... i cant stand the difference. strange that you rub though. i have a 205 55 16 and am down 1.5 as a normal hatch and dont rub. im sure u know since we kinda talked about it a lot :P

snow tires do suck, i bet your just as excited for spring time as i am to get the nice wheels back on.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.