Heel to Toe? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 841
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focuz ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 GaRyMaN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heel to Toe?

Hey i keep hearing about this Heel toe clutch work or whatever what exsactly is this can somone explain? also is double clutch something that worth learning, if so how exsactly is it done...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 03:07 AM   #2
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

hmmm i searched around a bit and i found what it all was but it really doesn't seem all that nessisary, unless theres some thing i missed....
Old 10-19-2003, 05:39 AM   #3
sydneyzetec
fOCUS Zetec 2.0

Fan#: 365
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Zetec - Machine Silver - 3 door

FF Reputation: 1 sydneyzetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It's used when you still want to apply maximum braking force into a corner, such as braking late when you're trying to outrun someone on a track or into a corner. No need to in general driving, but mainly when you're trying to get the absolute most out of your straights before cornering, also helps you keep engine revs up for a quick take off halfway through the corner...
2002 Machine Silver Zetec 2.0L, Manual 3 door, ST170 Suspension, 17" ST170 Wheels, ST170 front grille, ST170 interior handles, Genuine Ford Alloy & Leather Gearknob & Handbrake, ST170 clear side indicators, Electric Blue Zetec floor mats
Old 10-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Used very often in downshifting in a corner. http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.lasso

When used in downshifting, it allows for you to to brake, shift gears, and rev-match. Hence, using all three pedals with only 2 feet.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Dave
Focus Addict

Fan#: 507
FF Reputation: 1 Dave Good Standing Member
I use more of a toe-toe technique, and I use it whenever I have to downshift. (on the track anyways) Helps keep the car balanced.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
geekspeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 689
What I Drive: 2001 Silver F-150

FF Reputation: 1 geekspeed Good Standing Member
I'm a heel-toe fanatic. Actually, I'm a double-clutch heel-toe fanatic. The pedals in the SVT are set up pretty well for it, too. It keeps my footwork from getting rusty between real races in the Summer and in the off-season. Here are some more links:

http://www.modernracer.com/tips/heelandtoeshifting.html

Good article.

I'm addicted to heel-toe. I'm one of not many that actually does it at Summit Point. The majority of club racers just don't get it. Of course, who am I to talk, the majority of guys in my class were kicking my rookie ass this year.

Anyway, as a spectator, you can hear who does it and who doesn't pretty easily. The ones that do it are distinguished by several high revving sounds as they are threshold braking before turn 1 and turn 5 at Summit Point--the only places you need heel-toe there, really. Basically, any place that you need to get down on the brakes hard and need a different gear for turn exit than before you were braking into the turn.

For example, for me, as I get down on the brakes before turn 1, I'm in 5th gear. Then it's...

clutchin,shiftneutral,clutchout,BLIP,clutchin,shift4th,clutchout
clutchin,shiftneutral,clutchout,BLIP,clutchin,shift3rd,clutchout

All because 2nd is the optimal gear for me and that particular turn.

You can practice in slow motion on the street and such, but at the track, it's VERY fast--which is why I ran all those words together above. Say those two lines as fast as you possibly can, multiply that speed by two or three, and that's about the speed this all occurs. The only way to get good at it is obviously to practice.

Also, it's important to have a pedal setup that facilitates easy heel-toe. Like I said, the SVTs are good for coming from the assembly line with a decent heel-toe pedal setup. You can buy aftermarket pedal kits that allow you to have less room between the brake and the gas pedal--which lets you roll your right foot over onto the throttle while you're in neutral AND braking before you make the shift into another gear.

You CAN do heel-toe with a normal pedal setup, I just don't advise you do it. It's awkward and might get you into a little trouble going into a corner. I do it on my Dad's Miata, which doesn't have a good pedal setup, but using the actual OLD heel-toe method, which just as it name implies, revolves around using your HEEL on one pedal and your TOE on the other. Your foot is basically SIDEWAYS and it's a pain in the ass.

Get a good pedal setup, practice this religiously, and when you get to the track it will pay off. Eventually.

And yes, I actually let it sit in neutral with the clutch out while I blip the throttle--this is double-clutch heel-toe downshifting, and it is a variant of heel-toe. With double-clutch heel-toe downshifting, you're in neutral for a VERY short time. Just long enough for the blip. While in neutral with the clutch out, you're bringing the engine RPMs AND the layshaft up to match the next lowest gear's complimentary wheelspeed, aka the spinning driveshaft. This method, blipping in neutral with the clutch out, reduces synchro wear (a good thing, some would say), and in actual racecars like the Formula Dodge I've had the pleasure of driving, it is NECESSARY, as there ARE NO SYNCHROS. Ack!

Bringing the layshaft up to speed with the engine RPMs isn't really necessary with modern vehicles like ours that have decent synchros and low-mass layshafts that can be matched up to driveshaft speed easily, but a snooty distinguished downshifter wannabe racecar driver will do it anyways. LOL

Sorry if this was more info than you were expecting, but I just LOVE heel-toe, man! Have fun learning it!

Sincerely,

Beetle
Kid Haulin': Dark Grey 2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD
RIP: Silver 2003 SVT Focus 5-door
Old 10-19-2003, 09:28 PM   #7
Dave
Focus Addict

Um, why do you double clutch, I see you mentioned cars with synchroless tranny's, and thats what thats for, there is no need to do it on our cars, and its probably slowing you down a bit, also I see your going through gears when downshifting, thus using engine and brakes to slow car down, thats also not the best technique, as the brakes can slow the car down way better than the engine ever could, so I would believe it would be faster to just go from 5 to 2nd, instead of through every gear.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
GaRyMaN
Focus Enthusiast

its my under standing that the heel toe is not to slow down but to match rpms so you can get a nice burst of speed out coming out of a corner, anyways im looking into some driving class's at Sears point they seem nice they teach you the fundimentals including heel toe and what not and how to controll your car properly in a race. Also Double Clutching is somthing used for Racing not draging right?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #9
Dave
Focus Addict

Yes, its not used in dragracing, its used for downshifting in a car without synchro's. Also, heel-toe, is used for have rpms right for speed through corner, but a big advantage is, when you are braking hard, when you put in gear, your car is balanced with alot of weight on the front wheels, but you want to try to nuetral this as much as possible, and if you put in car at to low or high rpm, it throws cars balance off, and you can loose a decent amount of speed.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
geekspeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 689
What I Drive: 2001 Silver F-150

FF Reputation: 1 geekspeed Good Standing Member
Not to mention, swap ends. Been there, done THAT!
Kid Haulin': Dark Grey 2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD
RIP: Silver 2003 SVT Focus 5-door

Bookmarks & Social Networks