"How To" - VF Engineering Rear Mount-Install Pics - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 PM   #21
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yep...that's what it is.

My next mod..:)

Paix...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #22
frogg5872
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if you heard that bang then yeah its the mount......get a new one (not that yours is BROKE its just the VF or Mac (what i have) is alot better). The mac mount is like $30 cheaper than VF. I have the mac my friend has the VF.....i like them both a lot. I cant tell a difference while driving.

Here is a cool test to show how much movement you have. Start you car and pop the hood. Reach back to your t/b and pull the spring forward to rev the engine. Do it real quick and pull back far. Notice how far the engine moves. With the mount this is down to nearly NO movment.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:27 AM   #23
sexy2002svt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
very good detailed pics i'll probablly be coming back here when i get my mounts!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #24
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Hey! My first "sticky"!

Thanks to whomever set it up. I appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #25
Sublime

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
You're welcome! Thanks to Shady R too for the heads up!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #26
faultlessfocus

Fan#:
Wow, that looks pretty easy to install..I may think about getting one of those for myself!

Old 10-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #27
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I just got done installing mine...all I have to say is what a PITA that was!

If you're doing this to a non-SVTF, don't remove or loosen the bolts on the retaining brace. Its not the same; it's not a plate like the SVT, its one solid piece so you can't rotate it out of the way (I wish someone else would've added this before I did mine... )

1) Skip removing/loosening the three bolts holding the brace. Its just a waste of time since you can't remove it, there's a fourth bolt at the back of the brace that won't come off without air tools, and even then you'd have a hell of a time getting an impact wrench or even ratchet up in there.

2) Remove the bolts holding the mount in place.

3) Get a prybar and rock the engine forward. Make sure you pry against something solid, and be sure to miss the brakeline running directly behind the transmission. I found the ideal spot to pry against was the black sheetmetal (?) frame between the two wheels. Once you get it far enough forward (and you really have to move it, you'll probably need something to brace your feet against if you're laying down) wiggle the stock mount out.

4) Repeat the process to get the new one in. I found that putting it in the back first and starting the bolt there works best, because the brass bushing in the middle of the poly insert (in the front) is a very tight fit with the brace. Using the same strategy as before, rock the engine forward until you can manuver the front mount into the brace. It probably won't line up perfectly, and you'll probably have to relieve some of the tension from your jack to get the mount to settle into place, using the weight of the engine. I used a large flat-head screwdriver to further line up the holes so the bolt could run through. Then its as simple as redoing the bolts and applying the proper torque (35 ft-lbs.)

I'd have to say its great having the mount installed. The car doesn't nose forward when dropping from first to second, and the rest of the gears seem a lot firmer now. There is a little added vibration, mostly felt through the pedals in your feet, but not enough to be of any concern. Had I known how to do this on a non-SVTF it wouldn't have taken me two and a half hours of trying to get the whole brace off the transmission.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #28
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Good deal, Frogman283.
Thanks for the update for the "standard" models.
If I can still edit my first post, I'll point the MTX-75 folks to your alternate instructions.
Done.

Last edited by WD40; 10-20-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #29
Fernymack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12375
What I Drive: 03 ZXcubed

FF Reputation: 1 Fernymack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Kudos on the "HOWTO" and the PICS as well. Helped me a ton.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:34 AM   #30
Focus Racer S2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14203
What I Drive: 2002 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Focus Racer S2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
One of my engine mounts gave up on me today. The engine is now a bit jumpy on the road. Those things seem to be really good. You think it would be worth installing them on my ATX ZX3. Let me know.
<---<<Zetec Crew #66 / ATX Faction #21>>-->
To modify or not to modify ? ? ? That is the question right now ! ! !

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.