Avoid Tires Plus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Marketplace > Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews

Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews Good or Bad dealings? Post your vendor, dealer or seller recommendations, feedback and comments here. Members who knowingly post false or malicious information will be banned from the site.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
BCESVT1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25298
What I Drive: 2004 Mustang Mach 1

FF Reputation: 1 BCESVT1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Arrow Avoid Tires Plus

I had my 17x7" Speedy Lite-5 wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force Sports mounted and balanced at Tires Plus today, and they didn't even get the balancing done correctly. I have vibration at 70MPH, and I am extremely pissed because of it. I told the guy, "don't use any face weights on my wheels." His response to that was "you won't get a good balance if we don't." Wrong. Not only did I speak to a Ford service technitian about it, I've had another set of custom wheels/tires in the past with no face weights and they were balanced perfectly. Apparently Tires Plus' technitians either don't care, or they don't know what they are doing. At any rate, I'm taking the car to a different shop in the morning to have all four wheels/tires rebalanced and I'm going to be sure to let them know that Tires Plus didn't do it correctly. This is a frustrating situation.

/rant off

Last edited by BCESVT1; 03-15-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Shadowrunner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31568
What I Drive: 1996 Dk. Green Mustang GT Conv. MTX

FF Reputation: 4 Shadowrunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Go to Wal-Mart, they'll treat you right. We use those sticky weights that go on the inside of your wheel, not on the bead.
returned fiance's engagement ring, since she returned me, made nice pc funds lol
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
BCESVT1
Focus Enthusiast

They used the "tape" weights on the inside and didn't use any face weights, but it wasn't done right. That's what pisses me off, because I know it can be done using the tape weights if the person doing it knows what they are doing.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To "properly" balance a wheel the location of the weight is critical. The new hunter balancing machines (9700's) tell the tech exactly where to place the weight both in terms of where "on" the rim plus where "in" (outside, inside, middle etc.) the rim. When you say you don't want it on the outside face you have limited the ability to fine tune the balance in favor of aesthetics. Your choice, but don't expect a precision balance that way.

Last edited by Geezer; 03-16-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 235
What I Drive: 03 Infrared Focus SVT, 01 Mercury Villager

FF Reputation: 1 jollyjohnj Good Standing Member
Not true. I have my tires mounted and balanced, "properly" by the instructors that teach how to use SnapOn's machines. They always use tape weights.
SVT SQUAD #39
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
BCESVT1
Focus Enthusiast

I took the car to a different shop today and had the wheels rebalanced and then remounted using hub centering rings. They did it right the first time. I am related to the technician that worked on my car so that helped out too.

I'm glad I didn't try going back to Tires Plus.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
So, the centering rings were not used after Tires Plus did the balancing?
They should have come with the wheels in the first place...

And, Geezer's recommendation of the Hunter GPS 9700 is right on the money.
Not only does it balance the wheel/tire, it also puts a load (Road Force Measurement) on the entire assembly.
In addition when using this system, they will match the low spot of the wheel, with the high spot of the tire.
I've had my last two sets (summer and winter) done on that machine, and I've never had a car ride so smooth.
^^^ Sorry, just my personal plug for the Road Force Balance. ^^^

Bookmarks & Social Networks