How To : Cup holder LEDs - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
DetroitBass
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23602
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 DetroitBass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
How To : Cup holder LEDs

I finished doing this earlier today, but wanted to get some night shots before I posted the thread. Mods feel free to use this in the How To section if you would like.

How to make LED lit up cup holders

Needed:

- 4-8 prewired LED's (depending on how many you want to use). Prewired are not necessary, but make the job much faster and easier. I got mine from Oznium.com for $1.19 each, with resistor already soldered on. I only used 4 in my install.
- Equal amount of LED holders, also available at Oznium.com
- Approx 5 feet of wire, 18-20 gauge is fine
- Wire strippers, wire crimpers, crimp locks
- Dremel (or similar cutting device)
- Drill with 15/64" drill bit

This is actually a fairly easy mod to do. It takes just a basic knowledge of wiring.

The first thing you need to do is remove the center console. There are other write ups on how to do that, so I'm not going to explain it here. Next, take your center console to a nice work area.

This is how I did the cutting. At the time, i didn't even think about it, but if you don't want to do all of the cutting I have listed in the next step, simply take about a 1/2" drill bit and make a few holes instead.
Remove the plastic cup holder inserts (these may only be present in older model Foci, I'm not 100% sure). Take your dremel with a cuting disc attachment and make a cutout in the bottom of the cup holder that looks similar to this:

Leave a strip of plastic in the middle as seen in the picture. This will be strong enough to still hold a bottle no problem. Here is another picture :

Next step is to put the plastic cup holders back in the center consoles. In the freshly cut openings, take a marker and mark where you want your LEDs to go. I used only two in each cup holder, and it is plenty bright, but use as many as you want. Mark the spots, then remove the plastic cup holder.

The following steps are assuming you purchased the LED holders and prewired LEDs from Oznium.com. If you didn't, your directions may differ slightly. Take your drill and get each opening up to 15/64" (this is the bit I ended up using, yours may differ if you use different LED holders). I suggest starting with a small bit and working your way up to the 15/64", this will help prevent the center console plastic from cracking.

Drill all of the marks you made, then from the top, slide in a LED holder into each hole. It will look something like this:

Now take an LED and, through the bottom of the LED holder, push it up until you feel it sort of click into place. Do this for each hole. Next comes wiring. For ease of wiring, we are going to wire in series. View the picture below, then continue reading :

Starting with one LED, leave the red wire untouched. Take the black wire and crimp it together with the red wire of the next LED. Now take the black wire from this LED and crimp it together with the red wire from the next LED. Continue this process until, like you see in the picture above, you are left with one "loose" red wire at the beginning of the chain, and one "loose" black wire at the end of the chain. Now, leave your center console here, and head back to your car.

Now you will need a way to power the LEDs. I have mine wired so that when the radio is on, the LEDs light up. You can add a switch if you would rather have that, but honestly the soft glow from the cup holders looks good even if there is no beverage in it.

Get a piece of your 18-20 gauge wire approx 5 feet or so. Run this wire from where your cup holders will be all the way to your fuse box, which is in the dash by your left knee (at least in the 00 Focus it is). Check your owners manual for the fuse that is listed "Radio". In my Focus it is fuse #50, and is rated at 7.5A. There is a radio fuse that is always hot, and one that is only hot when the car is on. The always hot one is around 15A, so don't use that one. Strip some of the wiring and wrap it around one prong of the fuse, I used the top prong in my install. Reinsert the fuse. If you do not want your LEDs on all of the time, this is the wire you will want to install a switch in. It will look something like this :

Now, cut another piece of wire and find a nice grounding point for it, Any one of the bolts near where the cup holders usually are should work, just make sure it is one that will touch metal. Strip the end of the wire and tighten the bolt down onto the wire, this is your ground wire.

Go grab your center console. Before reinstalling it, hook up the wire from your fuse box to the red wire, and crimp them together. Do the same for your ground wire and the black wire. Turn your key and confirm that everything works. If the LEDs are on without the key turned, choose a different fuse. Reinstall the center console, and enjoy the light show!

A top view of the bottle and the LED lights :

Last edited by DetroitBass; 03-14-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
jabber
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24679
What I Drive: 2002 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 jabber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thanks for the write up! I was thinking about doing this someday soon!

-Ben
Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
bensoulchin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32690
What I Drive: 2000 black sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bensoulchin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
nice job looks good!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Scion owners, eat your heart out.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
grenada_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7055
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 grenada_focus Good Standing Member
Now that is Cool... Good Job
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
Kayak_man
KayakOfTruth

Fan#: 30025
What I Drive: 2001, twilight blue ZX3

Points 5,193, Level 46
Points: 5,193, Level: 46 Points: 5,193, Level: 46 Points: 5,193, Level: 46
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 13 Kayak_man Great Standing Member
WOW thats cool! Thanks for writing up a HOW TO :)
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
Ripped ST 151
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29959
What I Drive: 05 Black ST

Points 2,615, Level 31
Points: 2,615, Level: 31 Points: 2,615, Level: 31 Points: 2,615, Level: 31
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Ripped ST 151 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
nice work man!!

ST Crew #13
Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
t_bone_c34
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17718
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 t_bone_c34 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hey detroit! Great job man, it looks INCREDIBLE! Could you post up a pic of it off during the day so I can see what the remaining cup holder looks like?

This Lambo once tried to race me. Yea thats right, I said tried... Because he didn't know about my Turbonator.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Couldn't you do this with just a simple battery and LED? I mean, you could somehow do a pressure-sensor with that too.. have the bottle press down on the wire which connects it to a ground or power or something.. right?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
zx34me
Focus Revolution

Fan#: 12063
What I Drive: 2000/zx3/infared/atx & 96 dodge neo

FF Reputation: 1 zx34me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
wow very very nice! wheres the sticky @????

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.