race day - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
fresnofocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11499
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 fresnofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
race day

hey,
i am going to famoso raceway,ca on feb 25. 2006. what i want to know is where should i launch at? when i went last time to the track i lauched at 3000 and had a good start and reaction times. when ever i launch any higher i get a lot of tire spin. any suggestions..also when should i switch to 2nd and 3rd gears. should i go into 4th gear? should i buy the higher octane gas that they sell there too? the first time i went my focus was stock and i ran 16.3, now i have cai,headers,downpipe,pulley kit,msd wires,short shifter and street tires still. any idea on a time i should be able to get??? thanks for everything in advance..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
AC21365
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2039
What I Drive: See Sig..

FF Reputation: 2 AC21365 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
With your mods, you won't have to revv extremely high to get going. 3500 should be sufficent. If that doesn't work, play around with launching to find your sweet spot. Also, revving above 6000 rpm's with stock cams is pointless, since power stops increasing after 5200. High octane gas means nothing if you don't have the tune to make your timing take advantage of it. Stick with 89 octane until you get a chip.

Times are up to you and your car. You'll know what time you run when you pull up to the hut at the end of the track
Present:
2005 Silver Focus 2.3L ST Sedan - 5-speed w/all the options
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
fresnofocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11499
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 fresnofocus Good Standing Member
thanks for the advice.... does anyone else have any suggestions???
Old 02-09-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
ozan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29069
What I Drive: 2006 ink blue Mondeo TDCI

FF Reputation: 5 ozan Good Standing Member
i launch at 4000rpm.... i hold the clutch pedal very close to the stick point of clutch and leave it not very fast but also not very slow something in the middle... in 1,2 and 3rd gears i go all the way to the 6750rpm... i only dont shift very quick from 1st to 2nd gear as it spins to much...

But i think there are so many things to effect your launch... so you have to try and find the best for u and your car... this waries from car to car depending on your tyres, your clutch, your engine... so you have to try and try and find the best for u...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
MyBlackST
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i launch at 2500 in mine...but you have a 2.0 so it may need more rpm.

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7
Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
jaimz
my car breaks!

Fan#: 23734
What I Drive: 02 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 jaimz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
here's my run down..

launch : 3200rpm
1st->2nd : 5500rpm
2nd-3rd : 5200rpm
3rd->4th : 5000rpm
4th->5th : 5200rpm

i run a stock DOHC zetec with a short ram intake and VF motor mounts, and fuzion tires, by time is shift into 5th i'm going roughly 90 - 100 mph. the reason i shift into 5th a little later than i shift into 4th is because i try to squeeze every little bit of speed out of 4th as i can.

the reason to decrease the rpm for each shift point is because (in my experiance) the rpms won't hang as high or as long for when you shift to the next gear, so it kinda gets the tranny in the "sweet spot" for the next gear a little faster.

like i said before, i launch at 3200 because i'll still get grip and power, much more above that and i just spin.

i have a little bit of experimenting to do after i install my nos (been waiting it's too damn cold here in ohio) i'm thinking i'm going to be shooting my nos at about 3500 on each gear past 1st.

anouther thing to do but takes alot of practice if you've never done it, and can potentally harm your engine if you you don't practice, is to not take your foot off the gas when shifting, and not pushing the clutch in all the way to shift. on the focus (i don't know how many people noticed this) you only have to push in the clutch about an inch or 2 before you can shift, you don't have to go to the floor with it. which means faster shifts, and with the gas still on about 1/2 way you have more entry power for each shift when you left off the clutch.

just my two cents :) i've ran a 15.3 with the practice. but it may have been off as we do it on the backroads with stop watches and radios. but our 1/4 is a true 1/4. time could be off 4 or 5 1/10s

Last edited by jaimz; 02-09-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
bruinsh
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18989
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bruinsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
not suggested unless you are ready to replace a clutch VERY fast. lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks