does a camera help in autocross - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
zx3freak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20544
FF Reputation: 1 zx3freak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
does a camera help in autocross

me and my buddy are gonna run in the nasa events for mid-atlantic this year. I running stock h in my focus. I decided to listen to carrera26 and only get rims and tires. Does a camera mounted inside help or should i hold off and save my money for going to big events like mid-ohio?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you already have a video camera, then all you need to mount it in your car is $3.50 to spend at Home Depot, a drill, and a Dremel tool.

Camera Mount Thread

I have taped every race I have done, and my entire driving school. I made it quick-release to use in my buddy's WRX as well, and after he reviewed the tape he cut almost 2 full seconds off of his time the first time he used it to review his driving. He never thought he was as far from the cones as he really was!

Make sure that you can get a bit of the "peripheral" in the shot, which will give you an idea of where the sides of your car is when you go back to review it, then take a look at it between runs and try to analyze what you are seeing. Distance from cones, do you hear wheelspin, etc.

Even better is to have that and have a buddy outside taping as well.
Even better than that is to tape somebody who is a really good driver, and compare your lines with theirs.

Really take a look, and show it to somebody who really knows their stuff too and get their input.

Good luck man!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
MyBlackST
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I will be one to admit that the info. you'll get from the video will help you out tremendously. You can see your line and where you can improve. And you will have some cool videos to show people. I love having it in the car with me.

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7

Last edited by MyBlackST; 01-10-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
You will see things that you never realized you do. Bad habits, better ways to do things etc. They are a help.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30771
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FSP Focus ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ohhh.... it helps. If you notice at an autoX meet, the guys with the cameras are always fast.

You sound like a guy who takes racing and driving seriously. I think you would gain alot from watching a camera. Like the others have said, you notice bad habits, and you might be inclined to try something (after watching) that wouldn't have occured to you "at the moment".

It never hurts. Plus, if you've got a buddy with a similar setup (FF Hatchback), you can compare and contrast your styles and approach. It's like an instant coach. And as for the mount, that's cheap, look at the thread Carrera posted.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Le Mans (1971)
Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
if you and your buddy have a camera have both inside and out. mount one using the thread aaron linked, the other held by your friend in the spectator area.

it's well worth it, and your driving will improve tenfold.
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
check this out

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...846#post870846

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->