So you want to buy an intake? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #71
ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC
Project All Motor

Fan#: 1114
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE with Zetec engine

FF Reputation: 1 ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about a CAI. Just get a short ram intake. If you don't mind sucking up water and screwing up your engine then get a CAI, but if you don't want to suck up water and not screw up your engine then get the short ram intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 AM   #72
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
its the throttle body. you need to upgrade to a bigger throttle body then u can use any of the DOHC intakes. black diamond racing makes one (BDR) and i think www.myfordperformance.com carries one and so does www.focus-central.com

Ice man is a good intake choice for the SPI
Old 02-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #73
TickfordZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3146
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3= GONE!!! 2004 SRT4= start of something good!

FF Reputation: 1 TickfordZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
GO AEM --- its no problem with suckN up water ( just use the by-pass valve) andit gives good increases in HP and torque-- but u won't see it on a dyno-- got to test it another way- but it works well for me and i dont have the by-pass valve on it- i never had a problem sucking up water- i had the volant but i got rid of when i tried my friends focus with just an AEM on it and i loved it- better response - could feel better gains- so if u goin for speed go AEM
Old 02-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #74
mrorange7878
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3313
What I Drive: Gold LX

FF Reputation: 1 mrorange7878 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
intake

i plan to get an intake off Ebay. there like under 30$, is it worth it? i plan to buy a K&N filter after i get it so is it worth spending way more money for AEM or K&N intakes, i am going with short ram cuz they don't make CAI for the SOHC 2.0L engine that i have.

OO and if anyone knows how good or bad the Springs on ebay are? like DropZone? i know EIBACH are the best but i don't have the money to spend, no steady income. still in highschool. and no job :( and :)
Old 02-23-2004, 10:37 PM   #75
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i think if you get the SPI throttle body upgrade you can use any intake you want off the DOHC
Old 02-24-2004, 01:07 AM   #76
ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC
Project All Motor

Fan#: 1114
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE with Zetec engine

FF Reputation: 1 ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Yea, in order for the SPI engine to use a intake that is made for the zetec engine, you must buy a 60mm throttle body, you an get one from focus central. That allows you to use the bigger size intake tubing.

Even though this isn't a suspension thread but you asked about it, I wouldn't go with drop zone. From what I've heard they suck, heard they don't drop your car down much anyways. Save up your money and get the Eibach Pro-Kit.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #77
garyk

Fan#: 171
What I Drive: focus race car, stock svt street ca

FF Reputation: 1 garyk Good Standing Member
steeda shortie

ran the car at vir 2/14 and 2/15 with the steeda. seat of pants says no difference from aem cai. still touched 125 on the straights. biggest difference was no oiling probs.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #78
lunarc
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343
What I Drive: 02' Silver SVT RIP 2007

FF Reputation: 1 lunarc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Anyone have the Focus Sport intake? I am interested in it but i would like to hear what others have to say about it. If anyone has one for sale pm me, i am interested.
2002 SVT Focus #1848
---------------------------
New ride E36 DINAN BMW, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Stg1 Suspension, Dinan Stg1 Chip
Old 04-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #79
sloth33
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4039
What I Drive: 2002 met. red zx5

FF Reputation: 1 sloth33 Good Standing Member
I hear all of u ppl talkin about the cai and i really want one! I am down to choosing from the ice man and the volant. I do have a couple of ? though. 1) i live in ohio, get alot or rain and snow, what best with that. 2) what is the noise everyone is talkin about with the cai, i have never herd of that. 3) what really is the hp/torque diff, i mean really how much do they add??
Old 04-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #80
ILLINI zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2521
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black ZX3...86 Regatta Blue Lincoln Mark VII

FF Reputation: 1 ILLINI zx3 Good Standing Member
question 1: Either setup should be fine in snowy/rainy conditions, they aren't long tube CAIs that can get water in them.

question 2: the noise people are talking about is engine noise. You will hear your engine more with a CAI, it is less restrictive and doesn't insulate noise like the stock intake.

question 3: expect 2 - 5 hp gain and some decent low end torque gains (maybe up to 8 ft-lbs)...but a CAI by itself is not going to make a huge performance difference.

If anyone doesn't agree with my responses, feel free to disagree!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->