Urethane vs. Fiberglass (Body/Lip Kits) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Urethane vs. Fiberglass (Body/Lip Kits)

Fiberglass or Urethane, the question gets asked all the time and always comes up in threads based on exterior modifcations. I figured I would post up a thread on this since it seems there is always a battle between the two and there are very good reasons why to go with one and not the other. Basically I'll start by explaining some of the differences.

Urethane parts are made of reaction injection molded polyurethane, a material that is lightweight, flexible and resistant to rough weather conditions and everyday road hazards. Because of its flexibility and light weight, parts made out of urethane are usually easier to install. Wings West is an example of a company that manufactures a body kits using high quality urethane. There are several other companies as well, all are very 'reputable' in brand name.

Fiberglass is a material well-known for its resistance and rigidity. It is crucial to choose the highest quality fiberglass for your body kit. Many companies create bad quality parts containing wavy patterns on the fiberglass and unsatisfactory fit. Fiberglass components that are hand laid have no waves and are not brittle or weak. When a part is hand laid, the part will be uniform and will have an even amount of fiberglass throughout the component. Hand laid fiberglass takes the longest, and costs the most but are worth it. Unfortunately I have YET to find out any companies that make good quality fiberglass kits for the focus, and yes this includes JTAutostyle kits which have been 'rumored' to be a decent fiberglass kit. To this day, I don't know of ANY companies that offer high quality hand laid fiberglass kits for the focus, nothing common in North America anyway.

The biggest issues, more common, are below......

Urethane kits are FLEXIBLE so any slight impacts or bumps will not crack the kit.
Urethane kits are RESILIENT to weather so hot or cold, they can withstand the climate (rain, hail, snow).
Urethane kits are EASIER to install since they have some flex to contour to the body parts.
Urethane kits are EASIER to prep before the painting process thus costing you less at the bodyshop.

Fiberglass kits are NOT FLEXIBLE so the slightest bump and she's cracked.
Fiberglass kits are NOT RESILIENT to weather so they can get even damaged even easier due to this.
Fiberglass kits are HARDER to install cause they almost always require cutting, sanding down, etc to actually get the part to fit properly.
Fiberglass kits are MORE EXPENSIVE to prep and paint, due to the needed shop time to get the kit to fit properly.

What it comes down to in the end is you can 'usually' get a high quality URETHANE kit purchased, prepped, painted and installed for LESS then the cost of a fiberglass kit.

Another thing to keep in mind, NO brand name body kit company out there (commonly) uses fiberglass to construct their kits. That should say something if you haven't gotten the point already.

URETHANE > FIBERGLASS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Boogyman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14074
What I Drive: 2000 Blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Boogyman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hehe, i had a fiberglass kit on my focus. As far as i know its still in the ditch by the railroad tracks. I now have a full poly kit and couldnt be happier. Ya it cost ALOT more then fiberglass, but i have a problem with my rear bumper getting waves it in and i have to rebolt it on to straight'n it out. any suggestions??
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Which kit is it, like which company?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Boogyman
Focus Rookie

Avenger kit i believe is what it was called. Ill post a pic of my car finially got new pics. I think the kit was made my west wings but not sure. I just liked the way it looked in the picture so i ordered it.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

Waves at the edges, example where the top part of the aftermarket bumper meets the hatch? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but once you get those 'waves' your pretty much SOL.....

Might be a warranty issue with WW......
Old 09-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Boogyman
Focus Rookie

we fixed it. Made an exact plaster mold of the inside of the rear bumper We set it inside leaving about an inch clearance between the plaster and the inside walls with spacers. *3500lb epoxy held them fine, i was too sure how it would work but it did the job.* anyway then we filled the cavity with a superlightweight expanding liquid foam, put the pumper in our hot room. " wood heated room we have about 5x5 about 140 to 150F sometimes hotter. My mother uses the room to mold her wax blocks. but anyway. The heat softened the poly and the foam reformed it. Afterwards we let it cool down i stripped most of the foam out left in a little but not much waves were gone and now it looks good as new. Alot of work but it didnt cost me more then 20.00 for the plaster and 5.00 for the foam.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
S2
Retired Fanatic

That's awesome, happy it worked out for ya!!
Old 09-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #8
silvermist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11184
What I Drive: 2001,bright atlantic blue,zx3

FF Reputation: 1 silvermist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
urathane has a memory if you heat it up is should go back to it's origanal shape as long as to don't try to bend it back into shape.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
nystyles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 910
What I Drive: 2000 ford focus se 2.0 ztec

FF Reputation: 1 nystyles Good Standing Member
yea i bought my kit a few days before jtauto came out with there urathane i was sooo mad
and full N-1 touch screen navigation
Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
S2
Retired Fanatic

Yeah JT AUTOSTYLE, strange company. Apparently they started with fiberglass, then upgraded to urethane and now there back to fiberglass. I had a member on here order a kit from them after consulting with me and after I contacted JT AUTOSTYLE myself regarding the material they made their kits out of. I was told urethane, told the member it's urethane, he got a fiberglass kit.....

Personally I have no clue why they would have went back to fiberglass.... very strange.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.