Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it? - Page 55 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is 'Car Modding' Worth It?
Yes (Worth it)..... 1,476 82.23%
No (Not Worth it)..... 319 17.77%
Voters: 1795. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #541
UltegraSTI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 466
What I Drive: 2001 Yellow Honey

Points 1,612, Level 23
Points: 1,612, Level: 23 Points: 1,612, Level: 23 Points: 1,612, Level: 23
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 UltegraSTI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
think of where cars would be (not be) if guys (and gals) didn't tinker with them.

R

2014 Cloud 9 White Focus ST
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #542
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Modding is definitely worth it.

And by 'worth it', I don't mean a delusion that some have that you're adding to the car's value somehow (in fact, outside of very specific circles, you're lowering it). But it's worth it for the fun factor. It's for granted that you need to know what you're doing, however...
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #543
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 11,972, Level 71
Points: 11,972, Level: 71 Points: 11,972, Level: 71 Points: 11,972, Level: 71
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabuga View Post
I think massive modding is a waste of time and money.
By that I mean attempts to make your car into something it is not. I did that with my 1992 Toyota Tercel and made it into a 200whp beast from the original 75hp and it was fun but cost me a lot of time and money. Then I got a 1999 miata and loved it in STOCK form. My 2004 Mazda Rx8 is great too and cost less than the money I spent modding the car.

IMHO small tweaks are worth it, like a bit of suspnsion work, a bit of brake work, a few other small things but generally I will never do "total transformation" type of project.

Not to mention you don't recover any of your money that you spent on mods, when you sell the car. Total money pit.
A great cheap mod for you is a bsd plug. Adds a qtr of oil & removes about 19lbs of static wetght + the rotational weight & makes the motor more responsive. Oil/filter, rtv & a plug to block off the the bs feed hole & a few hrs of labor & your golden. A great saturday morning project.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #544
Super 7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 169826
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 SVT Yellow

Points 108, Level 2
Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Super 7 Good Standing Member
I've built cars to autocross. That was worth it. Generally, when parts require replacement, like shocks, I'll pony up for upgrades rather than installing over priced OEM or cheapo replacements. Might as well upgrade if you have to replace anyway. Plus, cars, motorcycle, and bicycles are a hobby of mine. Upgrades are fun.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #545
shaunCW78
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 180417
What I Drive: xxxx

FF Reputation: 1 shaunCW78 Good Standing Member
I know a lot of people like to put performance mods on their cars, but it just doesn't appeal to me. if I wanted a faster car, I would have gotten one to begin with. body/paint/wheel mods are okay because they individualize your ride. plus, when you try to performance out your car, you kill the mpg. I just cant see getting a cheap on gas car and making it get the same mpg as a challenger or Camaro or something like that. kinda kills the point. might as well have just got the faster car. just my 2 cents though.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #546
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Points 11,972, Level 71
Level Up 81% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunCW78 View Post
I know a lot of people like to put performance mods on their cars, but it just doesn't appeal to me. if I wanted a faster car, I would have gotten one to begin with. body/paint/wheel mods are okay because they individualize your ride. plus, when you try to performance out your car, you kill the mpg. I just cant see getting a cheap on gas car and making it get the same mpg as a challenger or Camaro or something like that. kinda kills the point. might as well have just got the faster car. just my 2 cents though.
Who says when you make the engine more efficent, you can't have power & mpg. Isn't modding your motor similar to changing wheels/body & paint? Its a mod too. I can get 35mpg on the freeway w/ my 23, so yea motor mods helped w/ mpg.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #547
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 313, Level 6
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunCW78 View Post
Morning Shaun, there are some car mods that actually can increase mileage. Factory built engines serve a lot of masters, some of whose goals are economy of manufacture and also one size fits all tuning.

One example is the traditional old cast iron exhaust manifold. It is often just rough iron exit piping, shaped all wrong. When you add headers, they are smooth tubing shaped to let the exhaust gases escape as efficiently as possible, which in turn leads to more air being able to get in and netter combustion.

Headers usually go hand in hand with a more efficient exhaust system as well, further reducing back pressure to the engine.

Conversely a better intake manifold aids intake/exhaust for the same reason.

Along these same lines is an item popular these days with import tuners (and american cars as well) the cold air intake. Within reason, the cooler the air that goes into the combustion process, the more air available to combust. Cold air intakes usually draw air from down by the number, which is better than hot air drawn in from the engine compartment.

Each of the devices above can actually increase mileage, because they are increasing the efficiency of the existing process.

That being said, I'd fall into your opinion however, of preferring a car all tricked out by the factory, like my 1900 mustang GT which came from the factory with roller cams, stainless steel headers and anti-windup bars on the rear axle.

Unless you have a great deal of money to spend, nothing beats a factory built and designed performance car, as they have the inside track to properly blending all the go fast parts to work together
Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #548
Focus-dude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 168346
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SE 2.3L

FF Reputation: 3 Focus-dude Good Standing Member
I'm only 24 and feel like the old man in the room. I like to keep the car as OEM as possible. The closer the car is to how it looked and drove the day it came off the lot the better imo -- I'm a purest
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #549
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Points 11,972, Level 71
Level Up 81% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus-dude View Post
I'm only 24 and feel like the old man in the room. I like to keep the car as OEM as possible. The closer the car is to how it looked and drove the day it came off the lot the better imo -- I'm a purest
What about upgrades? There are a lot of upgrades that the engineers would love to do, but the bean counters put the cabosh on. So that leave the cunsumer to upgrade. Look at the 1st Mustangs= They were designed for upgrades to begin with.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #550
Mr Orange SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10430
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST2

Points 1,033, Level 17
Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17 Points: 1,033, Level: 17
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 3 Mr Orange SVT Good Standing Member
I always mod everything I get motorcycle or car to some degree. I started out slow on my SVT. When I bought it in 04 I immediately did the Borla catback system and then stopped. To me the car did everything so well I couldn't see doing anything else at the time. My first big mod was the stereo in 08. The stock suspension started to give out in 13 so then I upgraded to the Eibach kit. I'm still very happy with the stock bits on the car but I'll continue to do little upgrades as they come up for replacement.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.