LED bulb swapping - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #51
Gudziel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Here are the round LED's on the right:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
Gudziel
Focus Addict

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Now here are both side by side. The Round bulbs are on the right and the Tower bulbs are on the left. It is hard to see with glare. It was very close. So close that we were torn which were better (we is gf and I).

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #53
Gudziel
Focus Addict

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
In the end, the whites destroyed the original yellow-tinted filaments. The Tail/Brake/Turns were close to the filaments and each other. It was very very hard to discern which LED was brighter than the others. I'm also going out on a limb by saying that it did not help either red LED with the fact that the housing is red also. With an all white tail light housing with red LED's, it might be brighter.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Now I just need to install some load resistors to stop my hyper-flashing.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #54
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 742, Level 14
Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14 Points: 742, Level: 14
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Which bulbs are the towers?

(i.e. - you bought three sets of bulbs - the round bubs would be the superbright led's, but you also bought Cree/Samsung tower reverse lights and 18 SMD 5050 tower turn signal lights.)

I'm guessing the Cree is the towers you ended up testing.

Not really the results I expected, but maybe it was due to the camera effects.

I previously experimented with cheap LED's like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-White-31...item2ecdb3ed67

(but they were red and probably LESS than 19 LED's) and I thought they were about as bright as stock - just didn't want to deal with load resistors at the time.)

I expected your 18 SMD 5050's to be MUCH brighter than those and the round and Cree LED's to be even brighter than the 5050's, but to me in the photos, they look about the same brightness as stock - although obviously whiter and not as yellow.

Was that your impression, or is the camera missing a lot of the differences?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #55
Gudziel
Focus Addict

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Which bulbs are the towers?

(i.e. - you bought three sets of bulbs - the round bubs would be the superbright led's, but you also bought Cree/Samsung tower reverse lights and 18 SMD 5050 tower turn signal lights.)

I'm guessing the Cree is the towers you ended up testing.

Not really the results I expected, but maybe it was due to the camera effects.

I previously experimented with cheap LED's like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-White-31...item2ecdb3ed67

(but they were red and probably LESS than 19 LED's) and I thought they were about as bright as stock - just didn't want to deal with load resistors at the time.)

I expected your 18 SMD 5050's to be MUCH brighter than those and the round and Cree LED's to be even brighter than the 5050's, but to me in the photos, they look about the same brightness as stock - although obviously whiter and not as yellow.

Was that your impression, or is the camera missing a lot of the differences?
When I say towers, I mean these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270751797527...84.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281127244158...84.m1497.l2649

The rounds were the two from superbrightleds.com

When on, you can see that all of the LED's on all of the bulbs are on at all times. Now when the brake/hazards/turns are on, all LED's just got brighter on both bulbs.

When I was done and had a pair of each bulbs in the taillights (one side was a tower reverse and tower brake, other was round reverse and round brake) it was EXTREMELY difficult to say for sure which one(s) were brighter. Honestly, we were standing there talking about it for a couple of minutes going back and forth.

I apologize for the pics as the glare is horrible. But if I had done the test in daylight, it would have been very difficult to see any differences. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Maybe I'll try again tonight. But I honestly spent some time yesterday trying to look at them all objectively and provide the best pictures.

Believe me when I say this. The differences in the LED's is minuscule.

ETA: Minuscule = red LED's were about even with one another and close to the white filament originals. White LED's blew away the original filaments but were close to one another.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #56
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Points 742, Level 14
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Okay - I didn't understand what you did originally.

So the towers pictures are the Cree lights in the reverse sockets and the 5050's in the tail lights?

Basically, if I look at the pictures again, I see about what I would have guessed, but I don't know if I am biasing my opinion on what I expect to see or really seeing that. (i.e. it isn't like a blind test where you show me photos and ask which looks better and I pick and THEN you tell me what bulbs were in the photos.

Looking at them from my perspective:

The 5050's are clearly less bright than the round bulbs (which is not surprising) (and presumably the Cree's although you didn't test them against each other). They look about the same brightness as the stock taillights and LESS bright than the stock brake lights (which is a bit surprising - I would have expected them to be fairly significantly brighter than stock).

The round brake lights seem about equal to stock in both brake and tail - no worse, but not really better either (which is surprising - I would have predicted them to be much brighter than stock).

Both reverse lights look less yellow than the stock lights. The round ones have a bit better dispersion (which I would probably expect), the Cree's look slightly brighter than the round bulbs and also more tightly focused (a projector lens - so there is more light straight back from the light, but less to the sides and into the reflectors.)

Based on the pics, I would probably go with the Cree (tower) reverse lights and the round brake lights.

I appreciate the effort and the info and I learned a good bit too, though!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #57
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Points 742, Level 14
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Probably depends a bit on what you want with the reverse lights - if you want to see behind you when you back up (tinted windows for example), you are probably better with the Cree's. If you want people to see the lights and know you are about to back out, you are probably better with the rounds - although I don't think either would be a bad choice.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #58
Gudziel
Focus Addict

Points 2,703, Level 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
No problem, Tiger. It was a learning experience for me and if I can help to show any differences for the members here, then I'll definitely try anything.

Again, sorry about the pics. I tried to get it at a decent time when the sun setting would have provided a little bit less glare. But once it starts going down I'm not provided much of a window to test.

I am currently using all round. I was torn with which to go with and, to be honest, felt the same way about how they appeared in comparison to one another as you did. I decided to go based off of the brakes and kept the bulbs the same type. The tower reverse did appear slightly better but for me personally, they were both considerably better in white/cool white than the yellowish filaments. That's what really drove me to get LED's in the first place.

I have the towers so if you would like to purchase them, let me know.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.