Problem: Lowered Suspension & Tires - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
mzdoggmann
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19711
What I Drive: 2002 silver Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 mzdoggmann Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem: Lowered Suspension & Tires

Bought at used '02 Focus ZTS 4 door not too long ago, it had aftermarket 18" rims w/ directional tires and obviously suspension lowered too. Took it with me to military duty in Missouri.. bad roads out there and every pothole and uneven surfaces were noticed, SEVERELY, to the point that it ruined the CD player. Thought it was those skinny rubber tires so had them swapped out with new rims with fatter rubbers, all season. AFter that, you could hear the rubber sound like it was grinding against the wheel well, and you could definitely hear the grinding when carrying passengers or extra weight. After some research, looks like it's the lowered suspension that's the problem, probably done in a chop shop type joint. Maybe springs cut too short, bad shocks, etc...
Does this sound like the right diagnosis, and if so, any optimal repair recommedation??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
funkad3llic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15273
What I Drive: 2000 SE

FF Reputation: 1 funkad3llic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
change the whole setup. but if you cant afford the shocks and struts try getting the tein s tech springs. thats what i have on right now and the ride didnt really change a lot.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
mzdoggmann
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by funkad3llic
change the whole setup. but if you cant afford the shocks and struts try getting the tein s tech springs. thats what i have on right now and the ride didnt really change a lot.
How much out of pocket for a decent shock and struts job?? As my ride's suspension had aftermarket work done, I imagine it'll cost some more, esp. since it was a lousy job. (I know some places won't touch it if it had previous aftermarket work done and it wasn't them).
Old 08-08-2005, 01:09 AM   #4
abrock124
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12450
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver ZTS (SVT Wannabe)

FF Reputation: 1 abrock124 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i live in Missouri and the roads SUCK. I saw on the news we officially have the worst maintained roads and highways in the entire country....sucks for our cars
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Verify if its rubbing and where its rubbing. There should be marks on the tire as well as on the wheel well, fender lip, or on the springs. There are the three main areas where it will occur. What offset do the new wheels have? If they're 40 mm or less these are probably the culprit. An offset like this will rub on the fender lip. Having the lip rolled under will usually solve this problem, but have someone who knows what they are doing do it. It's very easy to crack the paint.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
mzdoggmann
Focus Rookie

Bad Roads of MO

Quote:
Originally posted by abrock124
i live in Missouri and the roads SUCK. I saw on the news we officially have the worst maintained roads and highways in the entire country....sucks for our cars
My sentiment exactly.. got to the point I cringed everytime I got out on the roads. Wonder what this does to the longevity of the overall suspension package for Focus and just about every other passenger vehicle.
Guess the roads are fit only for truck chasis if you're concerned about durability??

Bookmarks & Social Networks