2012 Focus Ti - Need Tires Badly - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Captain Zyrain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 175169
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Captain Zyrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus Ti - Need Tires Badly

So my 2012 Focus Titanium (w/ Handling Package) has just about completely wore down it's stock PilotSport 3's. I got about 42K miles out of them, but they are seriously bald and in need of replacement.

So I start shopping around local places, and NO ONE HAS ANYTHING in 235/40R/18 95W.

The only set of 4 tires I can find are:

Mayrun MR800 (Never heard of them) ($72/each)
Winrun R330 (Never heard of them either) ($63/each)
Kumho Ecsta AST (Heard of them, but doesn't look favorable ($82/each)
Continental ControlContact Sport AS (America's Tire Exclusive) ($170/each)

I also got offered a set of Pirelli Pzero Nero tires for $170/each but they're a slightly larger size, 245 I believe. Does anyone have experience using slightly larger tires on the Focus 18" rims w/ Handling Package?

Any other suggestions for tires? The car is used for commuting, I enjoyed the Pilot Sports, I guess, but seemed like overkill, as they're really-really expensive to replace.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I just looked on Discount Tire for L.A. and found a Falken ZE-512 for $68. I put a set on my Mazdaspeed 6 and loved them. The've got the ZE-612 for $98 as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Captain Zyrain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 175169
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Captain Zyrain Good Standing Member
Thank you, I'll have to look more around LA (I see my location says LA!).

I'm actually north of LA a little bit, Los Angeles is a _very_ large place.

Does anyone have any experience using the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on the Focus Titanium w/ Handling?

(Side note, I wish I would have realized how much the damn handling package KILLED my turning radius.. our Ford Explorer turns in a tighter circle than my Focus! /rant lol)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zyrain View Post

Does anyone have any experience using the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on the Focus Titanium w/ Handling?

(Side note, I wish I would have realized how much the damn handling package KILLED my turning radius.. our Ford Explorer turns in a tighter circle than my Focus! /rant lol)
Do you plan on seeing any snow? If not then the ExtremeContact DW would be a better handling tire choice as the DWS is an all season with the S for snow.

Are you able to shop online? Places like www.tirerack.com will ship to your house or one of their preferred shops. Should be able to get a much better tire selection.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Seth@TireRack.com
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 132618
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 Seth@TireRack.com Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zyrain View Post

The DWS will not have nearly the grip or the on-center feel as the Pilot Sport 3 but will last longer being all season tires. A max performance summer tire usually will get around 15-17k miles, some more some less. I am surprised you got yours to last that long.

If you want similar handling at less cost look at the Pilot Super Sport's, less cost because not OE. Or less cost yet and still similar handling Bridgestone Potenza S-04.

Remember to reference Seth/Focus Fanatics in the "previous contacts" field to make sure the forum get's credit!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
Your best bet for tires is to order them from Tire Rack. Looks at the reviews and the survey results. Take your time doing your research. Once you get them take them to the dealer QuickLane if you have one near you. They will mount and balance for $60.

The other option is to visit the dealer with quotes you already have and they will beat the price. My mom got an awesome deal on tires for her Escape Hybrid a few months ago at the dealership.
- MFT
Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Kumho sounds familiar to me, good tire for the price, I had them on my Peugeot 207RC
Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i'm astounded you got that many miles out of this tire. i would expect at 40k miles to see through to the cord on these.

i think my next tire will be the Conti ExtremeContact DW, tirerack has a pretty good price on them :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks