Rally car build model decision - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Mobius
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 138393
What I Drive: 2006 Focus zx4 gfx, 2002 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Mobius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rally car build model decision

hey guys i am at a cross roads as to what to do with my cars, I haven't started my build yet but I am planning to this summer. my problem is now i am not sure what vehicle to set as my daily driver, and what to build on (over a few years mind you) as my rally car and am looking for advice/opinions on what to do.

right now i am running my 06 Focus GFX as my daily, and the car sitting is my 02 Focus SVT. the original plan was to run the SVT, but seem to be more expensive to run over several day events. so currently i am thinking of switching gears and putting the SVT on as my daily and taking the GFX off the road to work on.

now that being said, my SVT needs work, there is a bit of surface rust (not of my doing i only bought the car a few weeks ago) and it needs new tie rods, and a shifter cable adjustment as well as a major interior overhaul. the GFX on the other hand is in good shape over all less a good paint job, but there is 0 rust on the body and rockers etc. of course the biggest difference is the power output of each engine 170hp vs 145hp, which i realize is not the most important factor in rallying or rallyX but it helps. the bonus though, ive already done most of the work to the GFX, which means i could begin running it much sooner, but could be disappointing results before boosting or doing engine upgrades in the future. The GFX is already set up with 15s which means i wont have to go through the hassle of changing the brake sizes and finding wheels to fit the 4x108 pattern. also it already looks like more of a rally car lol. being as i work in the parts business I have parts for both, stock and performance, available to me readily for the initial build, but the costs over time seem to be better with the GFX.

they both have their pros and cons and i want a second opinion on this, i am certain that i have other thoughts about this but i am at work and typing this in segments, so if something does not seem to make sense thats why.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108959
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SBK86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The GFX may be a better option. If it's got the 5 speed it will be better suited for rally imo and easier to find a good diff for.

Also it has the duratec engine which I hear is lighter weight and better built to handle FI if you go that route so it has lower power starting out.. but you can potentially get it higher. I could be wrong on this though, I own an SVT and don't have experience with that car but I remember hearing that from someone.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Mobius
Focus Rookie

It is a 5speed. it seems the more people I talk to, even at work, I am leaning towards the gfx, the frame is in almost perfect condition, the only hurdle ill have is the suspension, but theres a group buy for an omni kit for it so even that is do-able. thanks for the input!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
janzalone2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 160162
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 janzalone2 Good Standing Member
Find this guy

First I think you're in the right place, collectively there is a lot of knowledge on this site
Second, If I were doing a Rally build I think the first thing I would do is find my way to NH, look up MaxAtk, buy the guy a beer or cup o' coffee and learn what he knows.
The work he's posted so far looks pretty special http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=324166&page=3
Good luck with the build, I'm jealous already
Anz
Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Mobius
Focus Rookie

thanks for the tip, ive been pouring through his thread looking at everything, its awesome, I wish I had the facilities to do what he's doing, just so much awesome.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->