Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it? - Page 54 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is 'Car Modding' Worth It?
Yes (Worth it)..... 1,461 82.31%
No (Not Worth it)..... 314 17.69%
Voters: 1775. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #531
janzalone2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 160162
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

Points 33, Level 1
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 janzalone2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I bought the car for transportation; 7 years and 100k miles later its served its purpose.
I know I should get a new car, but I'm having fun with this one and until it becomes un-fun, its worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #532
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 9,453, Level 65
Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%
FF Reputation: 56 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
The same question could be asked= Is it worth it to buy the top model vs the base version of the same model car? Or a $1500-$5000. option?
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #533
Mk3grl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 186521
What I Drive: 2012 smoke mk3

FF Reputation: 1 Mk3grl Good Standing Member
I think it worth it.. it depends what u trying to get out of it through. Like is it for speed, show, gas mileage, track. Im going for the show look
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #534
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118189
What I Drive: Black '02 ZX5

Points 1,147, Level 18
Points: 1,147, Level: 18 Points: 1,147, Level: 18 Points: 1,147, Level: 18
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 foxmustangman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3chick View Post
I think it worth it.. it depends what u trying to get out of it through. Like is it for speed, show, gas mileage, track. Im going for the show look

Exactly. If you're doing it to try and get an investment out of it, you're shit out of luck. At least if you're trying to do it with a Focus lol
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #535
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2 View Post
So what do you think? Personally unless you spend $15,000 on the car, go insane with performance I feel it's not worth it. Sure you get the 'fun' from it for a while but it does fade out and in the end, your getting 'pennies' for what you actually spent on the car. Not to mention all the problems that come up (example FI applications) among other things including legality issues, tickets, BS like that....

So my question is, in your opinion do you feel 'car modding' is a good thing (worth it) or a bad thing (not worth it)?
I;m speaking as someone who did this many years ago on older cars but also has seen it done on a Nissan Spec V.I have seen cold air intakes work, lowered suspensions, koni shocks, and better anti sway bards.

Years ago I saw the effect of upgrading to the mildest version edlebrock cam as well as its paired edlebrock manifold, teamed up with headers, free flow exhaust.

I have driven the cars plus owned over 15 total in my life, from mild to wild and yes, properly done mods, with am eye to overall matching, can give spectacular performance improvement.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #536
FriskyDingo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145578
What I Drive: 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 FriskyDingo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I;m speaking as someone who did this many years ago on older cars but also has seen it done on a Nissan Spec V.I have seen cold air intakes work, lowered suspensions, koni shocks, and better anti sway bards.

Years ago I saw the effect of upgrading to the mildest version edlebrock cam as well as its paired edlebrock manifold, teamed up with headers, free flow exhaust.

I have driven the cars plus owned over 15 total in my life, from mild to wild and yes, properly done mods, with am eye to overall matching, can give spectacular performance improvement.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, most people just toss a bunch of mismatched mods at a car and expect it to work.A fart can and an ebay cai/sri arent gonna do much if anything for a small 4 banger.Especially where most of the piping on these intakes is 3" which is too big for most engines, a drop in panel filter is better in most cases.

Also with a smaller engine you want parts that make more power in the low to mid range because you barely go over 4k rpm on the street and even lower with an auto transmission.For example a sri will provide a gain in acceleration on the low to mid range but its also sucking in heat from the engine once it warms up so the gains are moot then, while a cai will suck in cold air (duh!) but you will only see gains on the top end so its pretty much useless unless you're revving over 4k all the time.

In my opinion the best bang-for-buck mod is a nitrous kit, but that depends on how often you use it.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #537
04-ZX3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 158314
What I Drive: 04 blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 04-ZX3 Good Standing Member
Modding a car - is it worth it? If you have to ask, then the answer is probably no for you.

I'm new to the board, but not new to modding, been doing it for about forty years. Started with dirt bikes, moved to cars and street bikes when I was old enough.

For me, dirt bike mods were about winning. Same with street bikes. cars too. But with cars, its become a more an extension of me and the personality that I feel from the car.

As soon as I saw her, the ideas started to flow. It was in one sense, love at first sight.

She'll be mild as a build, but she will become herself as I see her.

Is modding worth it, only you can answer that. I know it has been, and will continue to be for me.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #538
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head, most people just toss a bunch of mismatched mods at a car and expect it to work.A fart can and an ebay cai/sri arent gonna do much if anything for a small 4 banger.Especially where most of the piping on these intakes is 3" which is too big for most engines, a drop in panel filter is better in most cases.

Also with a smaller engine you want parts that make more power in the low to mid range because you barely go over 4k rpm on the street and even lower with an auto transmission.For example a sri will provide a gain in acceleration on the low to mid range but its also sucking in heat from the engine once it warms up so the gains are moot then, while a cai will suck in cold air (duh!) but you will only see gains on the top end so its pretty much useless unless you're revving over 4k all the time.

In my opinion the best bang-for-buck mod is a nitrous kit, but that depends on how often you use it.
No question, the parts need to be thought thru and matched up.
For instance on my 83 mustang 302HO, the edlebrock manifold & intake were partnered units and so were the lowering springs I ordered BUT the edlebrock stuff took an easy 50lb off the motor so it sat high 1/2 inch in the front.

I should have gotten the front springs one increment lower to compensate.

Nitrous is a huge boost but the owner needs to truly understand it, or wreck the motor

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 06-03-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #539
ugabuga
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96365
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 ugabuga Good Standing Member
I think massive modding is a waste of time and money.
By that I mean attempts to make your car into something it is not. I did that with my 1992 Toyota Tercel and made it into a 200whp beast from the original 75hp and it was fun but cost me a lot of time and money. Then I got a 1999 miata and loved it in STOCK form. My 2004 Mazda Rx8 is great too and cost less than the money I spent modding the car.

IMHO small tweaks are worth it, like a bit of suspnsion work, a bit of brake work, a few other small things but generally I will never do "total transformation" type of project.

Not to mention you don't recover any of your money that you spent on mods, when you sell the car. Total money pit.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #540
FriskyDingo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145578
What I Drive: 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 FriskyDingo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabuga View Post
I think massive modding is a waste of time and money.
By that I mean attempts to make your car into something it is not. I did that with my 1992 Toyota Tercel and made it into a 200whp beast from the original 75hp and it was fun but cost me a lot of time and money. Then I got a 1999 miata and loved it in STOCK form. My 2004 Mazda Rx8 is great too and cost less than the money I spent modding the car.

IMHO small tweaks are worth it, like a bit of suspnsion work, a bit of brake work, a few other small things but generally I will never do "total transformation" type of project.

Not to mention you don't recover any of your money that you spent on mods, when you sell the car. Total money pit.
Was that 200whp n/a or boosted? Na is a waste of money unless you're just doing it to prove it can be done.

Bookmarks & Social Networks