anyone using premium gas ? - Page 146 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #1451
W13FOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147546
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 W13FOCUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the prem that i used was 91 octane... i get 340-350+ miles per tank with mid grade 88 octane... when i used the 91 octane i got 320. so IMO not worth it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #1452
Charlie66
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117982
What I Drive: 2012 white focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 Charlie66 Good Standing Member
Regular

Last Sunday I ran down from Raleigh NC, set cruise control at 65 mph. I took a little of 7 hours to my house in GA. I then went to work in Jacksonville the next morning and managed to get to 502.2 miles before I really needed to fill up. I can usually wait till there is a little daylight between the needle and the red on empty. I am amazed at how far I got on one tank of fuel. Previous to this my best was 462.7. The average fuel economy on this trip was 42.2 mpg
Worst I have seen is 31 mpg.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #1453
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
It is good, fuel economy, when you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #1454
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
I will have to see about actual fuel economy but the drive-ability is absolutely improved on my stock car... far less hesitation and as transmission loves to shift early for fuel economy, it's able to maintain the higher gear without hunting for a lower gear for sufficient power. Where I live 92 octane is the standard for premium and at only 20 cents more a gallon I am never going back! Also, with premium fuels clearly being advertised as having more detergents/additives, it only makes sense to run premium in a car with direct injection that is prone to carbon buildup.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #1455
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Does anybody have a dynpo run showing the diff in power from different octanes? I can't imagine it being an appreciable diff without mods. It also shouldn't have a big affect on MPGs either since that is more about the driver.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #1456
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
Does anybody have a dynpo run showing the diff in power from different octanes? I can't imagine it being an appreciable diff without mods. It also shouldn't have a big affect on MPGs either since that is more about the driver.
If you only drive where it's flat then you won't notice much difference in MPG's but my car is able to hold small hills now when it used to have to shift down... Also less driveline strain with the DCT makes for better drive-ablility too... I'm sure the difference is no more than 5 HP max.. BUT, I'm 100% convinced Ford doesn't recommend Premium in this because of the sales backlash it would create from people who don't want to know that they have to buy premium to have their car running the best.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #1457
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
BUT, I'm 100% convinced Ford doesn't recommend Premium in this because of the sales backlash it would create from people who don't want to know that they have to buy premium to have their car running the best.
Sales backlash...really! I'm guessing that most people who are choosing to buy this chassis aren't concerning themselves with paying for premium gas. These engines have been shown to work well on low grade fuels.... and better on premium for those who wish to pay the price... Should be no backlash from anyone who actually reads the dealer sales sticker/owners manual before they purchase the car.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #1458
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

But... the Focus's market isn't that way, not where I live... I've actually seen more 40-60 age women drive them where I live than any other demo... A lot of their market just wants to buy a good looking American car with good mileage... Imagine when word got out that you have to run premium at a time when gas prices are going back up... they would quickly get a bad rep from a key demo...

This is all because of the DCT, how popular it is, and how premium/higher octane actually helps smooth out some of the inherent driveabilty issues DCT can cause when babied/stuck in traffic... You literally feel almost every octane better with how sensitive the DCT is.

This has just mine, of many, experience on here that it is absolutely worth it in how much better it runs.... Even slight mileage gains aside as well, it's worth $.20/gallon more in driveability alone.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #1459
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTribute View Post
Should be no backlash from anyone who actually reads the dealer sales sticker/owners manual before they purchase the car.
A. Who reads the manual before buying a car? You read reviews, not manuals anymore...

B. Then why did they remove the phrase "Premium fuel will result in better performance" from the owners manual after 2012? Because some older folks buying American freaked and were confused about seeing premium and were worried (for good reason) that premium really was needed to run best.

You know that Ford knows their market... no one can really argue that much... So don't underestimate the power of corporate paranoia, they didn't want to scare part of that market away and just simplified things on their economy compact car. They simply aren't targeting enthusiasts much.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #1460
evilO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118681
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 evilO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
This is the only thing that I have seen... but it is an ST

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

After watching this... I would at least LIKE to think different octane would make a difference LOL

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->