5sp manual perfection! - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #91
Eminaga
Banned

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHolly View Post
What?! My 2014 has barely 500 miles on it and there is SO much pedal travel, it drives me nuts. Is this adjustable in any way? I'm so used to driving cars with little pedal travel and this car engages when your foot is almost completely lifted
Dont feel bad mine is the same way, I dont mind it tho as I only have to push the clutch in about an inch to change gears and its nice when I am just cruising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #92
SaraHolly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 155810
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 SaraHolly Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
Dont feel bad mine is the same way, I dont mind it tho as I only have to push the clutch in about an inch to change gears and its nice when I am just cruising.
The only reason I mind so much is that I'm 5'9" and especially being a girl who wears heels, it gets VERY difficult and uncomfortable at times.

Even with the seat somewhat back it's hard to comfortable get my knees in the right spot without banging the steering wheel or dash.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #93
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHolly View Post
The only reason I mind so much is that I'm 5'9" and especially being a girl who wears heels, it gets VERY difficult and uncomfortable at times. ...
My wife used to solve that problem by keeping a pair of "driving shoes" (actually an old pair of house slippers) in the car. She wears comfortable shoes now more often than heels so it's not as big a problem anymore.

EDIT:
I don't know whether the clutch engagement point is adjustable, but the only other manual trans Focus I've driven was also a 2014 SE sedan (without the Sport Pkg) and it was just like mine. There is a lot of travel, it's just that the clutch begins engaging quickly and is done halfway up. The last half of the pedal travel is kinda' wasted motion.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 04-21-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #94
SaraHolly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 155810
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 SaraHolly Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
My wife used to solve that problem by keeping a pair of "driving shoes" (actually an old pair of house slippers) in the car. She wears comfortable shoes now more often than heels so it's not as big a problem anymore.

EDIT:
I don't know whether the clutch engagement point is adjustable, but the only other manual trans Focus I've driven was also a 2014 SE sedan (without the Sport Pkg) and it was just like mine. There is a lot of travel, it's just that the clutch begins engaging quickly and is done halfway up. The last half of the pedal travel is kinda' wasted motion.
Ah, I hear ya. I have no problem driving in heels, there's something empowering about it haha. However with being taller it does cause some challenges. Thanks for addressing this though, glad to hear I'm not alone in this.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #95
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Mine engages pretty much right off the floor which I like. I don't know how there could be that much difference in the same cars.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #96
leavingmarks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139145
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 leavingmarks Good Standing Member
Mine engages about mid way.. ha so much variation
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #97
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
Seriously? Every car ive driven with a clutch is jerky - if you dont outright stall - if you don't slip the clutch. 95 BMW 540i, 01 Audi A4, 99 Ferrari F355, 04 Evo, 01 WRX (with the vague shifting), 07 MAZDA3, 01 M5, and 12 Ford Focus. That list includes V8's, turbo 4s and NA Fords. Maybe ive been doing it wrong all these years...?

We're used to different vehicles. The trucks and Jeeps I am used to have granny gears. So 1st gear is really only used if you have a heavy load and need to get moving while pointed up a hill.

I equate 1st gear in the Focus to 2nd gear in the vehicles I am used to driving.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #98
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I am not a huge fan of the MTX-75. Hate it, actually. When I get rid of my Focus, if Ford is still using the MTX-75 ... I will not consider a Focus as a replacement.

1st gear is too tall - I should NOT have to slip the clutch to take off. I guess I am used to trucks with granny gears. 1st gear is just for getting the vehicle rolling. I have driven a bunch of vehicles that are (Spark, Mazda CX-5, Jeep Wrangler, Mirage, Versa) and I could just let the clutch out and start rolling.

5th gear is too short. My focus gets excellent mileage on the highway (low 40s is easy), but I would like it to be around 2000RPM at 65MPH or so.

Heel/toe is pretty easy on these! The pedals are super small and really close together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
We're used to different vehicles. The trucks and Jeeps I am used to have granny gears. So 1st gear is really only used if you have a heavy load and need to get moving while pointed up a hill.

I equate 1st gear in the Focus to 2nd gear in the vehicles I am used to driving.
Well you said you hate the transmission and I wanted to be clear that for the reasons you stated, you will ALWAYS be unhappy. If you meant you are hating the adjustment to the different type of tranny, that's one thing. But I have a hard time believing that you can consistently drive the cars you mentioned smoothly without slipping the clutch. That would be magical :thumbup:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #99
electricbeach
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113132
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 electricbeach Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I find that my 12 SE will need roughly 1200-1500 to be smooth at take off. On flat surfaces, I can get away with 1k. I can take off with no gas pedal involvement, but that is too slow. With the A/C on, you need to be careful, and I turn it off for hill starts, haha.

I have made a custom clutch stop on mine, roughly an inch tall and that helped the clutch engagement point, making it closer to the "bottom" of the travel.

This car seems a little under powered if you ask me. It is fun to drive though, I wish 2nd was a little shorter though.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #100
Junk_Poet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120101
What I Drive: 2013 5dr Blue Focus Ti 5 Sp

FF Reputation: 1 Junk_Poet Good Standing Member
^^^^ Can't agree more. I wish it had 15 more hp to the wheels. Currently I am saving for an ST or an affordable turbo that is reliable but most likely it will be the ST.

Thank you also for pointing out that with the AC on it dramatically changes the way I engage the clutch. I need to rev way higher or else my car will almost bog down and shut off but then it magically comes back. Still its something I rather not happen at all. It has been 100 degrees here is San Diego so AC has been a must.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->