Will a dealer service my focus with mods? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
ProdigyRacingLA
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86736
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SE

Posts: 30
FF Reputation: 1 ProdigyRacingLA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I think you'll find that a Turbo Kit is listed "for off road use only", and a Dealer isn't too likely to service anything associated with that.
Good point! Thanks a lot
ProdigyRacingLA is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
sailor
"Elder"
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 11,638
FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not that you couldn't get other work done at a Dealer, but they won't have info. or parts for anything associated with the Turbo Kit.
__________________
"Rubber Side Down"

S.R. #275

sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
rambleon84
So mote be it
 
rambleon84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Fan#: 51521
Location: columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Posts: 5,151
FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
If you are trying to get warranty stuff done and covered by Ford, they can with in reason deny you. Like if something went wrong with your motor and you have a turbo slapped on to the exhaust manifold and you re-flashed the cpu, they could say those caused the problem and you wouldnt be covered.

I really dont anticipate a dealer saying they wont change or your oil or other fluids, stuff like that. They should still gladly work on your suspension other things too...they like your money
rambleon84 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn
 
crazy_urn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Fan#: 1986
Location: Uncharted Waters, CO
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

Posts: 5,485
FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
If you are trying to get warranty stuff done and covered by Ford, they can with in reason deny you. Like if something went wrong with your motor and you have a turbo slapped on to the exhaust manifold and you re-flashed the cpu, they could say those caused the problem and you wouldnt be covered.

I really dont anticipate a dealer saying they wont change or your oil or other fluids, stuff like that. They should still gladly work on your suspension other things too...they like your money
Good advice, but I doubt warranty will be the primary concern on a 6 year old focus...

My question for the OP is why he insists on getting maintenance done at the stealership? Around here, dealer is 2-3 times more expensive on standard maintenance than local shops. I understand the model specific experience argument, but you really don't need that much experience to change the oil. any idiot with a wrench can do it.
__________________
Defending the reputation of the red-headed step-child of the focus world for far too long.
crazy_urn is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
ProdigyRacingLA
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86736
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SE

Posts: 30
FF Reputation: 1 ProdigyRacingLA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
Good advice, but I doubt warranty will be the primary concern on a 6 year old focus...

My question for the OP is why he insists on getting maintenance done at the stealership? Around here, dealer is 2-3 times more expensive on standard maintenance than local shops. I understand the model specific experience argument, but you really don't need that much experience to change the oil. any idiot with a wrench can do it.
Its more than just oil changes. The fact of the matter is, I'm not concerned with saving the extra 12 dollars it takes to change my own oil. Besides, during my oil change I get an 30 point inspection of my vehicle, tires topped off and rotated with a car wash. All of that for $40 and under 40 minutes. Is it really worth bragging about that you can change your own oil? No.
ProdigyRacingLA is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
ProdigyRacingLA
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86736
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SE

Posts: 30
FF Reputation: 1 ProdigyRacingLA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Update: I called and asked my main service center, along with a couple of others. I told them I have a CAI installed and a full exhaust system and they said it was not a problem. Several of the head service managers did not oppose to doing work because of those small modifications. Thanks for all your input everyone and hopefully this thread can answer someone elses questions in the future.
CLOSED.

PRLA
ProdigyRacingLA is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,883
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyRacingLA View Post
Its more than just oil changes. The fact of the matter is, I'm not concerned with saving the extra 12 dollars it takes to change my own oil. Besides, during my oil change I get an 30 point inspection of my vehicle, tires topped off and rotated with a car wash. All of that for $40 and under 40 minutes. Is it really worth bragging about that you can change your own oil? No.
For many people, the important thing is that the work is done right.
The money part of the equation is secondary.
__________________
I am Kabigon and I approve this message.
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn
 
crazy_urn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Fan#: 1986
Location: Uncharted Waters, CO
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

Posts: 5,485
FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyRacingLA View Post
Its more than just oil changes. The fact of the matter is, I'm not concerned with saving the extra 12 dollars it takes to change my own oil. Besides, during my oil change I get an 30 point inspection of my vehicle, tires topped off and rotated with a car wash. All of that for $40 and under 40 minutes. Is it really worth bragging about that you can change your own oil? No.
The reason a lot of people change their own oil is not normally cost savings, it is because they trust themselves more than a wrench monkey. I did my own oil changes for years, but don't anymore because of time and the inspection that you mentioned.

But I can get the same inspection, tire rotation, brake check, alignment if I want/need it (bought the lifetime alignment deal 10 years ago...) at my local service center for half the price. I don't get the car wash, but everything else is exactly the same or better.

Now, I won't tell you how to spend your money. If you want to spend twice as much on the same service because there is a ford emblem on the sign, be my guest. I just want everyone to know that dealership service is a rip off.
__________________
Defending the reputation of the red-headed step-child of the focus world for far too long.
crazy_urn is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.