What MPG does your DURATEC Ti-VCT get on the HIGHWAY ONLY ? - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #261
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #262
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
^^^ Absolutely.

This info. used to be right on the tire pressure sticker on the car as well as in the manual.

With the largest issue being inflation BELOW suggested levels, I'm assuming this has been left off now to reduce possible confusion over proper inflation.

(What's Hwy. use? When should I use more? Should it be less in town? Some even thought the recommended pressure was the Hwy. number & REDUCED it for normal driving!)

S.R. #275
Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #263
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
The thing with running too much pressure is that 1) it rides harsher and 2) the center tread wears faster.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #264
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
75000 miles OEM tires at 40psi city and highway 4/32 across whole tread.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #265
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Will try!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #266
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
Ok, not highway but extended driving without stops.......in other words, driving on country roads at 45 - 55 mph I got 42-43 mpg on pretty flat terrain.

Steve
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #267
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Ok...did a bit more testing now that the weather has warmed up a bit. Made a number of runs on my commute with 87 and 93 gas and recorded the mpg by just reseting the trip computer - yes..I realize this can be off but it *should* be good for relative comparison. Also, these data aren't intended to start a battle on premium vs. regular; I did it with both just to see what the data looked like on my commute (100% highway) b/c..well...I was collecting data anyway. Finally, I know that I committed a sin by making a few changes mid-way on my last round by filling up with a different gas/from a different station as well as getting my oil changed/tires rotated but it is what it is and doesn't look to have had much of an effect (as would be expected).

The conditions were the same as last time (but in warmer weather), but for those that don't want to go back and look, here they are:

All highway cruising w/cruise control on to the extent possible; only one slow down to ~45 at a merge.

Speed limit.

No hyper-miling.

Same gas station/fuel (Sunoco).

My car is a 2013 SE HB 5-speed w/~30K miles, Motorcraft 5w20 oil, K&N drop-in filter w/snorkel delete mod. OEM Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires at 35 psi. Yakima bike racks w/fairing (not the aero set-up, the regular round bars and standard towers).

Tried to minimize use of accessories; any use of the A/C was noted. Windows were always up and sunroof closed.

Any deviation was noted.

My conclusions are that my car gets and average of ~36 mpg highway-only and that is outstanding for a car with roof racks. The colder weather knocks off about 3 mpg. The difference between 87 and 93 on my commuter/all steady-state highway is within the margin of error and there is no difference to the mpg. Edit. Going over 70 or cruising at 70 for this distance would have yielded less mpg - it really likes the 60-65 mph range and that equates to ~2500K rpm....needs a sixth gear for max. fuel mileage! I think this was a solid look at real-world highway mileage in varying conditions b/c I could control most of the variables in the experiment. Doing this with city mileage would be v. challenging..how would you do this and keep the conditions constant such as hitting a certain stop light or driving in stop/go? I have thought about recording my trips to/from home and my boy's baseball games b/c I drive the same route and it has plenty of stop/go etc. I will vary my fuel type and see if the premium truly helps out in these conditions where you are accelerating more.

Edit. I forgot to include that the speed on this commute varies between 55 and 70 with the 70mph portion being 15-20 miles in length. I also failed to mention that each day I would reset the trip computer at the same location (when I got on the highway either coming/going from work) and recorded the data the same stopping point. The only deviation from this is that sometimes I get off at a different exit depending on what office I work at so the commute varies at times by 2 miles). Finally, my morning commute is early, typically from 6:30-7:30am and my afternoon commute is typically from 5-6pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Focus_mpg.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	44162  

Last edited by Tigeo; 05-01-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #268
yoshi1015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115360
What I Drive: 2013 Black Ford Focus Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 1 yoshi1015 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeo View Post
Ok...did a bit more testing now that the weather has warmed up a bit. Made a number of runs on my commute with 87 and 93 gas and recorded the mpg by just reseting the trip computer - yes..I realize this can be off but it *should* be good for relative comparison. Also, these data aren't intended to start a battle on premium vs. regular; I did it with both just to see what the data looked like on my commute (100% highway) b/c..well...I was collecting data anyway. Finally, I know that I committed a sin by making a few changes mid-way on my last round by filling up with a different gas/from a different station as well as getting my oil changed/tires rotated but it is what it is and doesn't look to have had much of an effect (as would be expected).

The conditions were the same as last time (but in warmer weather), but for those that don't want to go back and look, here they are:

All highway cruising w/cruise control on to the extent possible; only one slow down to ~45 at a merge.

Speed limit.

No hyper-miling.

Same gas station/fuel (Sunoco).

My car is a 2013 SE HB 5-speed w/~30K miles, Motorcraft 5w20 oil, K&N drop-in filter w/snorkel delete mod. OEM Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires at 35 psi. Yakima bike racks w/fairing (not the aero set-up, the regular round bars and standard towers).

Tried to minimize use of accessories; any use of the A/C was noted. Windows were always up and sunroof closed.

Any deviation was noted.

My conclusions are that my car gets and average of ~36 mpg highway-only and that is outstanding for a car with roof racks. The colder weather knocks off about 3 mpg. The difference between 87 and 93 on my commuter/all steady-state highway is within the margin of error and there is no difference to the mpg.
great job recording this... This looks very much like my mileage log as well.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #269
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Funny enough, this morning was an "epic" commute in terms of mpg for me...I grabbed a 39.1 mpg on the same commute listed in my table..highest ever! 87 octane, low-60s, no wind (must be the reason).
Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #270
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If someone has time on their hands, I have an idea. Someone could track MPG for 2012's, 2013's, and 2014's separately by writing down the average MPG from fuelly.com every week or month (preferably only got the gas engine since if diesel sales go up or down, that would affect the numbers and make the effort useless). I surmise that the average will go up over time for each model year as they are broken-in.

I noticed on fuelly.com that older versions of "current models" get better MPG (mostly I was checking the grand caravan, which I think has had the same engine and tranny since 2011). Makes sense that 2 year old cars would have higher MPG since they are broken in.

Would be interesting if someone at fuelly.com would compare MPG for a model with under 10k miles, and 10-20k miles; etc to see the progression...and eventually see the numbers fall as the average car in that model year ages.

Bookmarks & Social Networks