New member, need some help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
McBike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 157354
What I Drive: 2007, Grey, ses 5 door

Points 34, Level 1
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 McBike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New member, need some help

Hello everyone, my 2007 Focus SES hatchback with 145,000 miles on it needs a new alternator. Problem is that online there are a lot of different part numbers listed. My model is a Massachusetts pzev, automatic, I also have the winter package. I see different amperages listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,905, Level 69
Points: 10,905, Level: 69 Points: 10,905, Level: 69 Points: 10,905, Level: 69
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 74 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to FF!

Moved this to General Tech. Chat for you.

S.R. #275
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,528, Level 22
Points: 1,528, Level: 22 Points: 1,528, Level: 22 Points: 1,528, Level: 22
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
Hi. Yep. Lots of brands and types to choose from. New and rebuilt Alts are often a gamble. Always hurts to replace one and later find out the new one is bad. Some peeps here encourage you to have your old one REBUILT at a local alt shop. Other peeps encourage you to stay away from the LIFETIME guaranty ones available at car parts stores like Auto Zone and similar places. Other peeps like the local lifetime guaranty ones for the sake of convenience,

Motorcraft (OEM) brand is often the best gamble but is often the most expensive. This online store is a good place to shop->

http://www.rockauto.com

Call rockauto and ask them.

2007 Focus
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ma...FOCUS,vtype,US

Enter in your engine type (2.0 or 2.3)

Then choose brand/cost you desire & is PZEV & Auto trans

Also call Ford dealer Parts dept and ask for cost and part number. They do not like handing out part numbers, so ask nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAuto View Post
5% Discount Code: 62A7D5A58F5404
Expires: 06/13/2014

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Please note that orders using discount codes must be placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

RockAuto.com is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com ships thousands of auto parts from over 200 manufacturers to customers worldwide.

The www.RockAuto.com catalog includes a full line of mechanical parts, from small items like filters and wiper blades to complete remanufactured transmissions and engine long blocks. The RockAuto catalog also contains a growing number of body parts: door handles, mirrors, sheet metal, bumper covers, even carpets! The www.RockAuto.com catalog includes vehicles from 1945 to today, making it easy to find parts no matter what you drive.

RockAuto.com prices are low every day! Order online at www.RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Have parts questions that must be answered accurately? RockAuto.com has excellent customer service agents ready to help you get the parts you need. E-mail service@rockauto.com or call 1-608-661-1376. (Mon - Thur 6 to 10 / Fri 6 to 9 / Sat 7 to 6 / Sun 8 to 4 Central Standard Time).
These guys are also good and offer great prices->
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
McBike
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks for the feedback. I assume that I have an evap system because it is PZEV. And it's an automatic. The main issue is that I have the winter package, so is it 110 or 120 amps. I'll see if I can get some info out of the dealer. The original was replaced 20k ago. I am sticking with motocraft. Rock auto carries them. Put a cheap one in and now paying the price.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Marde
Focus Addict

Points 1,528, Level 22
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
I looked around and still am a little confused myself.

About Alts used in PZEV verses non-PZEV cars:
If your engine is a 2.0 you have Alt options for PZEV verses non-PZEV. So you must ensure to get the proper Alt.
If your engine is a 2.3 you do not have Alt options for PZEV verses non-PZEV. The Alts available for the 2.3 are same part number shown for the 2.0 PZEV.

Also note that "PZEV" is part of the description of REMY and ACDELCO Alts -and yet- Motorcraft Alt part descriptions make NO references to PZEV verses non-PZEV.

About Alts that have "w/o Evaporative Emissions" verses "w/ Evaporative Emissions:
This method of description is used by MotorCraft (Alts) and I believe it breaks down like this;
w/o Evaporative Emissions = meets Federal emission standards
w/ Evaporative Emissions = meets California (CARB) emissions standards

The Motorcraft part description seems to fail to identify a unique Alt for PZEV cars.

Your PZEV is (at a minimum) a "w/ Evaporative Emissions" car.

Yes, other questions linger... Clear as mud right.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
McBike
Focus Rookie

Points 34, Level 1
Level Up 68% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Called the parts counter at the dealer where I purchased the vehicle. Gave him the info and said I think it's a GL659. He said that I was correct. I can get the genuine Motocraft much less online, than at the dealer. The after market one that I installed 2 years ago charges fine but is draining the battery overnight. Looks like an internal short due to a bad diode.

Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Marde
Focus Addict

Points 1,528, Level 22
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Cool. GL659 (120A) on a 2007 2.0 engine with winter package, while others might normally be a 110A version. Nice call on getting the motorcraft brand.

I am spoiled bc you can usually find what you need based on MAKE, MODEL, YEAR, TRIM, ENGINE and XSMN.

The rockauto (and other databases) makes it hard to find your/my Alt online because of "not enuf data" or "conflicting/different product descriptions" and a lack of an additional filter to select things like PZEV or non-PZEV.

The GL660 for the 2.0 engine is for the Standard Transmission; then for the 2.3 engine, all of the Motorcraft Alt's have no transmission ID at all, to include the GL660. <you big whiner>.

I'm still a little confused. Been that way for many years tho.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.