Need help!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
phibbs87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81057
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 phibbs87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
A face palm is more appropriate lol

✋😧 very well

Project MK2 ST has commenced! (SVT + MK3 ST= GOAL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
phibbs87
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Moved to the Technical Chat area

Your belt tensioner is probably bad so it's not keeping the belt tight enough or one of the idler pulleys is worn out and not turning as freely as it should. With the belt off spin the pulleys, they should spin freely without any grittiness to them.

As for that plastic piece above the radiator as been known to crack. Probably cracked from the over heating or it cracked and cause the over heating you didn't say which came first.

Also don't ever let the motor get that hot you can seriously damage it, mainly the head gasket or warp the head. Also don't put cold water in it til after it cools down, you can crack the block.
How do I tell if the tensioner is bad? It appears to have some side to side movement

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
150mphzetec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77175
What I Drive: 00 yellow zetec

FF Reputation: 2 150mphzetec Good Standing Member
the only time I have had to replace the tensioner on a zetec is when the body of it was cracking. With the crack, it skewed it so that the pulley was not lined up straight. I had to remove it to visually inspect it and that is when I noticed the crack
Old 04-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
5speedRuby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119198
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red 5 Speed Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 5speedRuby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phibbs87 View Post
Wow please excuse me while I punch my face
lol spin all the pulleys, all of them but the crankshaft, the large one on the bottom that's not gonna spin lol they sholdnt wobble or make a horrendous noise actually really shouldn't make that much noise at all. also grab the pulleys and pull them in and out, they shouldn't have any free play just spins smoothly and straight. and another thing. don't buy a damn $25 belt. its a waste, as you can tell, its an important part of your engine, as you have seen, spare no expense for the important parts!
Hatch Nation #94
Instagram - amu_chodie follow me!
16.8 seconds at 88.9 mph 3rd gear
Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
phibbs87
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedRuby View Post
lol spin all the pulleys, all of them but the crankshaft, the large one on the bottom that's not gonna spin lol they sholdnt wobble or make a horrendous noise actually really shouldn't make that much noise at all. also grab the pulleys and pull them in and out, they shouldn't have any free play just spins smoothly and straight. and another thing. don't buy a damn $25 belt. its a waste, as you can tell, its an important part of your engine, as you have seen, spare no expense for the important parts!
So I returned the crappy belt and bought a good one. My coolant log came in today. What coolant should I use? Green was the color spewing out through the crack in the coolant log. I bought an extra belt tensioner because it had a little side to side play but I'm not convinced it's bad. I really need to get her running by Saturday so I can attend FFF14

Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
5speedRuby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119198
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red 5 Speed Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 5speedRuby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phibbs87 View Post
So I returned the crappy belt and bought a good one. My coolant log came in today. What coolant should I use? Green was the color spewing out through the crack in the coolant log. I bought an extra belt tensioner because it had a little side to side play but I'm not convinced it's bad. I really need to get her running by Saturday so I can attend FFF14
a good belt, and a new tensioner could be all you need, faulty parts come all the time not everything new is good, im a mechanic and iv had to cut brake pads and return faulty water pumps already it happens. and any coolant will do but make sure you look at the mix. if its straight coolant you MUST mix it 50/50 coolant and water, bad things will happen if you don't, you can buy pre mixed coolant but make sure that you know for sure if its straight or pre mixed. green is just the color not the kind of coolant lol. than fill the radiator and run it and let the air burp out of it, top off the coolant again in the radiator and then fill the overflow tank to the approved fill line on the side of the tank.
Hatch Nation #94
Instagram - amu_chodie follow me!
16.8 seconds at 88.9 mph 3rd gear
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
phibbs87
Focus Enthusiast

Ok so I swapped out the coolant log and filled the coolant up. Replaced the belt and tensioner. Don't think the tensioner needed it because I discovered it was moveable because the 2 13mm bolts were loose as hell but swapped out the tensioner anyways and tightened them down. Up and running again but still idling a little rough.

Bookmarks & Social Networks