P0411 SEcondary Air 2005 Focus 2.0 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
jmkma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100627
What I Drive: 2005 silver zx4

FF Reputation: 1 jmkma Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P0411 SEcondary Air 2005 Focus 2.0

I've got the P0411 code on my Focus. I saw a thread that mentioned likel;y causes:

Hose from AIR pump leak
AIR bypass solenoid leak/blocked
Hose from AIR pump blocked
AIR bypass solenoid stuck open/closed
In order to test the AIR pump, it must be capable of driving the HO2S lean.

However I can not find an AIR valve or solenoid in any online parts stores. I do see an Idle Air Control valve which I have already replaced (it would rapidly click for several minutes after shutting off car).

I see an air bypass valve gasket at rock auto - but no air bypass valve. Is it the EGR valve? I'd love to quickly replace, but have no idea what I am looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
You appear to have a PZEV car. That's a PZEV secondary air fault code. It could be covered by the emissions warranty.......why not check with a dealer?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
jmkma
Focus Rookie

I've got about 115K on it and assume it's out of warrantee. If it's a quick and easy replacement, I'd just as soon do it myself. It's a pain getting to the dealership and on my last visit they overfilled oil on oilchange. Not a fan.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Yup, you are over the mileage even for the emissions warranty coverage. After reading the emissions warranty info it wouldn't have covered your issue anyway, I don't believe. Have a look here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=Focus#Search I selected the 2.3 engine in error......you can change it to the 2.0.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OK, so you checked all the expensive stuff, did you check the air pump line?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
jmkma
Focus Rookie

Not yet. Pressed for time and can;t get under the hood until weekend. Kind of thought I'd hear something if it was bad hose.

Figured I'd order the solenoid/valve if it was only 20 bucks and replace on weekend as it seems like most likely culprit. Very strange that it is so hard to find information on the secondary air system - not to mention find listings for the parts. I could not find the valve/solenoid in the Ford parts link above.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Most of what you'd hear from an air pump would be whirring, and you might not hear it unless you were right on top of it. The hose could be cracked. I always try to check the cheap stuff first. You don't have much of a choice since you can't find the parts. I bet the local dealer will have the parts- at least, if you go there get the parts numbers from them so you can search that online.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Dtown
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155218
What I Drive: 2005, tan, ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Dtown Good Standing Member
Smile

[QUOTE=jmkma;4232001]I've got the P0411 code on my Focus. I saw a thread that mentioned likel;y causes:

Hose from AIR pump leak
AIR bypass solenoid leak/blocked
Hose from AIR pump blocked
AIR bypass solenoid stuck open/closed
In order to test the AIR pump, it must be capable of driving the HO2S lean.

However I can not find an AIR valve or solenoid in any online parts stores. I do see an Idle Air Control valve which I have already replaced (it would rapidly click for several minutes after shutting off car).

I see an air bypass valve gasket at rock auto - but no air bypass valve. Is it the EGR valve? I'd love to quickly replace, but have no idea what I am looking for.[/QUOO2 sensor my friend.... I went through this exact same situation with my vehicle 2005 focus zx4 ses. Cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the IAC valve, replaced the secondary intake soleniod, removed the intake manifold to clean the pcv valve and hose, cleaned the intake manifold, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the throttle body gasket, tested the coil packs, by passed the EGR valve, checked, rechecked, and rerechecked vacuum lines for ware or breaks. All of this just to not replace my 02 sensor when I finally conceded to replacing it I was very angry. Upon inspection of the sensor I notice a large dent on one side of the sensor. Once I replaced it my idle starts high but returns to normal. Slight surge at 35 mph to 36 then back to 35 but far FARRRRRRR better than the extreme surging prior to the replacement. I'm sorry this solution didn't come to you sooner. My vehicle has thrown the CEL after reseting the comp however, I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the upstream insufficient airflow code I replaved the O2 sensor for. P0411 After all of this it was my O2 sensor

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.