Engine Replacement-Not A Swap - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
sassygrrl32
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 151530
What I Drive: 2007 ford focus red

FF Reputation: 1 sassygrrl32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine Replacement-Not A Swap

Hi, want to get some opinions.
My 2001 ford focus SPI engine blew(valve seat broke) a yr ago and now after 1 yr and 2 shops the warranty co is finally agreeing to replace engine with used one or I can go with new ford engine. But too much money right now.
There's a good chance a used engine will end up with same valve issue. THe warranty co is insisting on them getting engine which will be from LKQ. Does anyone have experience with them.

Also I have the option of getting one of their rebuilt engines(3 yr unlimited miles) which will cost me less than going with a ford engine. I've been told ford doesn't have a great track record with warranties on their engines and to go with jasper if I go that route but Ford doesn't use anyone but Ford of course.
I've already got over 7k into it with only 15k miles since it was bought so in no mood to sink another 2k extra if I can get out of it.

The guy said when they get the old crappy core back they send them out to Texas to be rebuilt.
Do u know anything about their engines and does their rebuilt engines take care of the valve seat breakage issue or do u know? Sorry, I know I probably sound like a complete dummy but I've never replaced an engine....Thanks in advance....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,948, Level 71
Points: 11,948, Level: 71 Points: 11,948, Level: 71 Points: 11,948, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Rebuilt should have a re-done head or a replacement one, better chance with that than with a used engine (which are in short supply).

Check prices on used vs. rebuilt yourself, just to avoid paying too much for that option.

I'll ask that this be moved to the SPI performance section where there may be more info. from members on these options (repair/replacement is the main subject there currently).

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

Points 73,243, Level 100
Points: 73,243, Level: 100 Points: 73,243, Level: 100 Points: 73,243, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to SPI Performance (2000-2004).
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
As sailor said, a remanufactured head prevents the valve seat problem. So as long as the head is replaced with a quality reman, a used motor would be fine. There have been several threads recently recommending options for a new head.

Also, depending on the amount of damage, they may be able to save your engine. A lot of people on here are doing that if it is just one valve that has been damaged. You might want to ask your mechanic about that.

But regardless of what you do, make sure you have a remanned head. After that the little SPI is practically bulletproof.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
sassygrrl32
Focus Rookie

Made decision

HI, thanks for the replies. The shop said when the valve seat broke it basically chopped the piston off and something else(probably the cylinder wall was damaged). The warranty co after a yr has agreed to replace and I'm not arguing considering just got a call from Ford and they are trying to demand a new current registration for the car. The engine went right before it was due to be inspected 04-2013 in March of last yr. We've been around and around with this trying to explain to them that the car can't get a registration w/o being inspected(emissions) and it can't be inspected if it doesn't run.

Anyway, hubby and I talked about it and we decided with current finances(got repairs to a rental that have to be done) that we can't afford the reman engine(and Ford doesn't want to do anything but Ford and I can't take it to another shop, if I do the process will start all over again with a new inspector because this is the way the warranty co does things. It's been a yr, I'm not putting another yr into this car and the warranty co's crap.

We've decided to off the car as soon as the repairs are done if the warranty co doesn't keep fighting it(this is after finally approving it). It wouldn't matter if the engine was repairable which the current shop and last mechanic said it wasn't(of course they both want to sell new engines costing upwards of $5000). I have zero say in the matter. It's up to the warranty co.

My hubby loved that little car but he's driving my 2007 hatchback focus now(drove my taurus 4 a long time but didn't like gas mileage) and this has left me with such a bitter taste for Ford and I'm a ford fanatic. I ended up buying a chevy.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. I wanted to go with a reman but with finances , then the warranty co gives me grief and for me that was it. I want rid of that car and as much as I love my little hatch I'll never again look at a 4 cyl anything. I like the other Fords and in the end it will depend on how my hatch focus lasts.

THe funny thing is, it's my own fault, I wanted a DOHC like my hatch(more power) and I didn't look 2 see what engine it had. Sorry 4 the long post and thanks again....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
sassygrrl32
Focus Rookie

I checked the prices and what the warranty co said on the price they found was in line with what LKQ said. This is such a difficult warranty co to deal with....With what the warranty is allowing 4 a used engine I'll pay only deductible of $100....When I called the warranty co to tell them I was considering a reman(from LKQ) they started giving me grief.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,948, Level 71
Points: 11,948, Level: 71 Points: 11,948, Level: 71 Points: 11,948, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
At least you're getting something.

Aftermarket warranty companies can be very bad or nonexistent by the time you have a claim, investigate closely before spending anything on a warranty other than extended ones offered by the manufacturer.

At least your '07 has a good track record for durability, the SPI was the only engine in a Focus with durability concerns.

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 34,099, Level 100
Points: 34,099, Level: 100 Points: 34,099, Level: 100 Points: 34,099, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I don't mean to be the elephant in the room, but I'm curious about the new Ford engine? These engines were discontinued in 05 I think? I know I keep seeing new zetecs for sale but not from Ford.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97162
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SPI, 1978 Lotus Esprit

FF Reputation: 1 rnewscates Good Standing Member
I would avoid a rebuilt SPI head, I bought one on eBay for about $260 and it lasted less that 1,000 miles before I had #4 intake seat start coming out - fortunately I stopped driving it before worse happened like breaking a piston etc. I ended up buying a new casting through my machinist, so now I have a great SPI engine - new pistons, rings, crank bearings, crank and cam seals, timing belt, idler pulley, water pump, gaskets etc (about $800 total). I now have over 2,000 trouble free miles, ready for timing belt retensioning and oil change. Good Luck! Bob Scates Springfield, VA

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.