CAI & warranty question - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #21
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
CAI & warranty question

First off your warranty can not be voided for making a modification, a claim for a specific repair could be denied if the modification caused the failure. So bringing it in because of window motor issue is not going to be an issue because you have a CAI.

Second the life blood of a dealership service department is doing warranty repairs so they are not motivated to see any claim denied but yes Ford Motor Company approves all claims. A catastrophic engine failure will result in the local Ford field rep coming out before the claim is approved. This is when you may have an issue but even then for the most part the field reps are enthusiasts too and are not going to be motivated to deny a claim.

My son was the service manager for a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership and he had some discretionary leeway to perform work under warranty that technically wasn't covered under a customer satisfaction umbrella. Can't imagine Ford not having a similar policy.

That all being said I have been a hot rodder since my teens and have modified every vehicle I have ever owned and I have never had a catastrophic failure to test what the dealer would do. Since 85 I have owned turbo Dodges continuously and have accumulated about 700k miles on them. They all have had intakes, exhausts and tunes, never had any kind of turbo or drive train failure, 240k miles was the highest single car mileage. I wouldn't worry about putting a CAI on your car.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #22
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

Points 437, Level 8
Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Let's be honest guys, car modding is not synonymous with warranty-covered cars.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
The truth!.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
BeepBeep2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119597
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

Points 157, Level 3
Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 BeepBeep2 Good Standing Member
When it comes to the Focus, it seems Ford will try and do anything to get out of fixing it.

I installed a GREEN drop in air-filter, and Ford wouldn't service my car for what I suspect (...know) are transmission issues.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #24
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,989, Level 100
Points: 50,989, Level: 100 Points: 50,989, Level: 100 Points: 50,989, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
First off your warranty can not be voided for making a modification, a claim for a specific repair could be denied if the modification caused the failure. So bringing it in because of window motor issue is not going to be an issue because you have a CAI.

Second the life blood of a dealership service department is doing warranty repairs so they are not motivated to see any claim denied but yes Ford Motor Company approves all claims. A catastrophic engine failure will result in the local Ford field rep coming out before the claim is approved. This is when you may have an issue but even then for the most part the field reps are enthusiasts too and are not going to be motivated to deny a claim.
Please read the post above this one and I have seen this a lot

100% your warranty can be voided for ANY modification , the "law" stated that Ford has to prove that the mod caused the damage but in fact when they say your filter voided some part of your warranty its YOU that has to prove that the mod didnt cause the damage and good luck with that , a filter having an effect on a window part no I couldnt see that

Ford dealerships have a limited number of warranties they can do before a red flag comes up and they get a reprimand fro Ford , I know this for a fact so they cannot just do what ever they want with warranties even tho thats how they make a lot of there money

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #25
BeepBeep2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119597
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

Points 157, Level 3
Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3 Points: 157, Level: 3
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 BeepBeep2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Please read the post above this one and I have seen this a lot

100% your warranty can be voided for ANY modification , the "law" stated that Ford has to prove that the mod caused the damage but in fact when they say your filter voided some part of your warranty its YOU that has to prove that the mod didnt cause the damage and good luck with that , a filter having an effect on a window part no I couldnt see that

Ford dealerships have a limited number of warranties they can do before a red flag comes up and they get a reprimand fro Ford , I know this for a fact so they cannot just do what ever they want with warranties even tho thats how they make a lot of there money

Tom
Right.

Basically, if I get +5 HP out of my drop in filter, they feel that is enough to void the powertrain warranty. Well, in this case, not exactly void it, but be quick to say that maybe the air filter is causing whatever mystical problems they act like I'm making up. Since we were having issues reproducing the transmission problem on our little 5 minute test drives, they emailed the big guys who basically told them not to service the vehicle unless I could clearly define to them a major transmission fault.

As it's gotten warmer, the issue has gone away completely. I'm actually hypothesizing the car has an issue with fuel delivery at cold temperatures too. The HPFP was ticking really bad in odd/changing frequencies on top of transmission woes and I noticed my idle was kind of rough (80 RPM deviation up/down @ idle). Smooth as butter now...
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #26
longboarder81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113699
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 longboarder81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
As many have said, and I can attest to, what Ford don't know won't hurt 'em!

I just sold my Focus and forgot to put the snorkel back in. Ha! Thankfully I remembered to take the K&N CAI out...

Last edited by longboarder81; 04-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.