Focus ST vs Mustang V6 - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Id debate that handling thing. The new mustangs all have split rear-ends now, and they are making .96 lateral G according to most reviewers. In terms of handling, im willing to bet the ST and the mustang are near-identical.

Im a bit of a mustang hater, but even I am admitting that the new stang has some serious performance these days.
I was unaware of that. Still, in winter, fwd will be better than rwd.
I think the Focus would make a better daily driver, with the increased storage space, rear leg room (although even the Focus is lacking here) and better gas milage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #32
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Id debate that handling thing. The new mustangs all have split rear-ends now, and they are making .96 lateral G according to most reviewers. In terms of handling, im willing to bet the ST and the mustang are near-identical.

Im a bit of a mustang hater, but even I am admitting that the new stang has some serious performance these days.
You are thinking of the forthcoming 2014 Mustang. It is rumored to have independent rear suspension, but obviously no confirmed details yet. The 2011 & 2012 Mustangs are all live axles.

Even the Boss has a live axle:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...302/index.html

Ford has done a pretty darn good job with suspension tuning to get the Mustangs to handle as well as they do, but they have not gone to IRS yet.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
I was unaware of that. Still, in winter, fwd will be better than rwd.
I think the Focus would make a better daily driver, with the increased storage space, rear leg room (although even the Focus is lacking here) and better gas milage.
My buddy's 2008 Mustang GT with snows was as good or better than my Focus with snows on it in the winter. And we have compared many many times while playing in the snow/drifting after snow storms. RWD, with an LSD and good snows can be great in the winter, go talk to some bimmer guys.

The Focus is a much more practical car, than the Mustang. Bigger back seat, 4 doors, and a hatch that can haul stuff.

The mustang has RWD which is better, and has more Horsepower, but will require the handling pack to be able to handle as well as the Focus ST should. That puts it over 25k and makes it even more of a toss up. That's still not on a premium, so no leather and fewer options. I would bet a similarly optioned Mustang will cost more than the ST. (Premium package, heated seats, etc.)

So basically it comes down to do you prefer RWD, or the added functionality of the hatch?

This is the debate I have been going thru.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #34
co1458
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106720
What I Drive: 2003,silver,SVT focus

FF Reputation: 1 co1458 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3st0rm View Post
I daily drive the focus also. But I love my Stang!!

That's exactly what I did. I got the base v6 model with 6 speed mtx. The only thing I added from the factory was the performance package, which gives you 3.31 gears, GT and Shelby suspension components, GT exhaust, performance tune and special 19 inch wheels. Added sirius satellite myself. Funnest car I've ever owned.
Planning to do something similar once the new model comes out. (granted it stays under 25k)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #35
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
My buddy's 2008 Mustang GT with snows was as good or better than my Focus with snows on it in the winter. And we have compared many many times while playing in the snow/drifting after snow storms. RWD, with an LSD and good snows can be great in the winter, go talk to some bimmer guys.

The Focus is a much more practical car, than the Mustang. Bigger back seat, 4 doors, and a hatch that can haul stuff.

The mustang has RWD which is better, and has more Horsepower, but will require the handling pack to be able to handle as well as the Focus ST should. That puts it over 25k and makes it even more of a toss up. That's still not on a premium, so no leather and fewer options. I would bet a similarly optioned Mustang will cost more than the ST. (Premium package, heated seats, etc.)

So basically it comes down to do you prefer RWD, or the added functionality of the hatch?

This is the debate I have been going thru.
I've seen quite a few guys get the PP (Performance package) V6 Mustangs for under $22k. I bought my base V6 for $18,500 brand new. Sticker price doesn't mean a damn thing with Fords.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #36
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #37
KarlW25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135817
What I Drive: '14 Performance Blue ST1

FF Reputation: 2 KarlW25 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!
I agree! Since the ST has been out for a while now, I wonder what the consensus between the two would be now?

I've got a '14 ST1 and had considered a V6 Stang prior to it because RWD, 2-doors and those taillights! Soo Cool! I'm 18 and while I shouldn't have considered practicality, I did, and went with the ST.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #38
TDubya1842
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 140369
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 TDubya1842 Good Standing Member
I went up against a '11 Mustang GT in Autocross and got a faster time in my ST. Don't know how the new Mustangs are doing, but if they are anywhere close to previous models, it is not my thing. I've learned that I don't wanna just go fast in a straight line anymore. I wanna go fast turning, too.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #39
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDubya1842 View Post
I went up against a '11 Mustang GT in Autocross and got a faster time in my ST. Don't know how the new Mustangs are doing, but if they are anywhere close to previous models, it is not my thing. I've learned that I don't wanna just go fast in a straight line anymore. I wanna go fast turning, too.
It basically boils down to the driver. slow driver in a fast car or fast driver in slow car.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #40
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
This is actually a good thread to resurrect considering the 2015 Mustang will be coming out. I plan on getting a new ride next spring, and now that the new Mustang has an IRS it'll be a tough choice between the ST and the Mustang. As a Mustang fan for my entire life, it'll be a tough choice, but I'm wary of going rwd because of the winters and road damage that is caused up here in NY. I'll be interested to see how the 2.3l ecoboost Mustang performs vs the ST.

Bookmarks & Social Networks