180* T-Stat Question - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #61
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It was a 94 camaro z28. They usually put down 230-240rwhp stock, which was ground breaking back in the day lol. The more you can cool that air inlet temperature the better, which is why guys were putting down the 5-8rwhp by eliminating 200f coolant running through the throttle body. Cooler air means denser air, which turns into mooo powa! Haha I agree with what you're saying though it won't be comparable to a tune, intake, or exhaust modification. Also, from what I recall swapping the t-stat in the mk3 isn't a 5 minute job by any means. You could wait until the scheduled interval change but that's 100,000 miles. If the juice is worth the squeeze I suppose (pun intended).
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #62
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Adding the 180 deg thermostat isnt for racing , In my opinion its for anyone adding a tune and almost any mod to there engine

This started out as a serious questions , It was " questioned " and opinions were made not to use it now those are making lite of it and in my opinion it isnt funny , I answered all the questions and BS with good straight answers and from some one that has actually installed many and tested them vs all the others that have never even installed and tested a 180 thermostat in a Focus

I dont say things and answer things just to be typing things and to keep things stirred up , If you feel the need to " question " things thats great I invite it, there is questioning things then there is making comments like you actually know what your talking about yet you have never even installed a 180 deg thermostat and tested it , and you make comments turning others away from doing it by your opinions and " questioning " and it is clear you have no clue what your talking about

If your adding a tune and modding your car there is only upsides to adding a 180 deg thermostat, There is 5 pages of unsupported opinions and BS and one that has actually had a 180 deg thermostat and installed dozens of them and tuned many more , It works !

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Yes, emissions is a large part of it as well. Don't forget to mention the increased warm-up times in the winter which leads to increased engine wear and increased times for the interior to reach a comfortable temperature. A large portion of wear on an engine throughout its life comes from pre-warmup driving.

As stated above, the main benefit for this is people that live in higher-temperature states to help keep the ECU from retarding timing; this results in a better overall fuel burn.
My first response, which questions nothing and literally agrees with and is posted directly after one of your posts.

Quote:
Increased warm up time ? The 180 doesnt take any longer to get up to temps then the 192 does if thats what you mean, Interior temps will warm up the same time

The 180 deg thermostat will still run in the 190-200 range which is MORE then enough to keep you toasty in side , In my opinion ALL states will benifit from the 180 and there would be no down side to it , for those in the Northern states the Fans can be set for a winter tune where they dont come on so soon if needed

Tom
The person questioning/arguing.

Feel free to show me where I told people to not do it. Try to discredit me as you want I really don't care, but if you actually read what I type instead of trying to argue for literally no reason then you will see that I've stated multiple times that it will benefit some, though more than others.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #63
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Alright you two, back to your corners. Does the coolant system have a bleeding valve or what would the process be for removing air in the system?
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq

Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #64
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Feel free to show me where I told people to not do it. Try to discredit me as you want I really don't care, but if you actually read what I type instead of trying to argue for literally no reason then you will see that I've stated multiple times that it will benefit some, though more than others.
You never came right out and said NOT to use it but your postings do say just that
Quote:
Don't forget to mention the increased warm-up times in the winter which leads to increased engine wear
False
There is no longer warm up time , ECU warm up time is set to 145-165 in the ECU and water warm up time is set by the Thermostat which is 180 so you actually have less warm up time with a 180 ,

Quote:
increased times for the interior to reach a comfortable temperature
False , A 180 deg will warm the cabin just as quick it isnt that difference between 180 deg and 196 deg that warms the cabin

Quote:
the main benefit for this is people that live in higher-temperature states to help keep the ECU from retarding timing;
False , the 180 deg thermostat is for 99% of all Focus from Mexico to Canada , even people in cooler areas will fully benefit from a 180 deg thermostat from its safety and added performance with no downside

Quote:
in the winter, you accept that the heater will take longer to get warmer because your coolant is flowing and fans are already on, all while it's cold outside
Who said the Fans were on , your assumption that the fans come on at 180 deg was just that your assumption and it was incorrect , again I say the 180 deg thermostat still runs the engine temps between 190-200 deg ans sometimes higher

Quote:
It's not unbearable, it just takes longer to warm the cabin.
False

Quote:
Carbon won't burn off as well, which is pertinent to those that drive DI powerplants
False , the big issues with carbon on the DI engines is in the intake runner where a cooler thermostat has no effect , this comes more from sucking in the hot oily air from the PCV and the Valve cover , stop this and you stop 95% of the carbon build up

If your comments above does not sound like your saying not to use the 180 deg thermostat then I dont know what does , because you dont come right out and say it doesnt mean it isnt what your saying

I am in no way trying to discredit you in any way jut to answer you concerns you posted so others can see that a 180 thermostat with tune and mods will benefit everyone if anything you are discrediting everything I am saying by posting questions , I answer then you move on and give no credit to my testing and experiences by either agreeing or posting your testing and experiences by actually trying it and posting what you found

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #65
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicedz View Post
Alright you two, back to your corners. Does the coolant system have a bleeding valve or what would the process be for removing air in the system?
The Focus is self bleeding just make sure you idle it till your fans come on watching the water reservoir , it goes down some when the thermostat opens , do a short drive and recheck water level to be sure

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #66
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
You never came right out and said NOT to use it but your postings do say just that
False
There is no longer warm up time , ECU warm up time is set to 145-165 in the ECU and water warm up time is set by the Thermostat which is 180 so you actually have less warm up time with a 180 ,

False , A 180 deg will warm the cabin just as quick it isnt that difference between 180 deg and 196 deg that warms the cabin

False , the 180 deg thermostat is for 99% of all Focus from Mexico to Canada , even people in cooler areas will fully benefit from a 180 deg thermostat from its safety and added performance with no downside

Who said the Fans were on , your assumption that the fans come on at 180 deg was just that your assumption and it was incorrect , again I say the 180 deg thermostat still runs the engine temps between 190-200 deg ans sometimes higher

False

False , the big issues with carbon on the DI engines is in the intake runner where a cooler thermostat has no effect , this comes more from sucking in the hot oily air from the PCV and the Valve cover , stop this and you stop 95% of the carbon build up

If your comments above does not sound like your saying not to use the 180 deg thermostat then I dont know what does , because you dont come right out and say it doesnt mean it isnt what your saying

I am in no way trying to discredit you in any way jut to answer you concerns you posted so others can see that a 180 thermostat with tune and mods will benefit everyone if anything you are discrediting everything I am saying by posting questions , I answer then you move on and give no credit to my testing and experiences by either agreeing or posting your testing and experiences by actually trying it as to what you found

Tom
This is exactly my point-you are the one arguing. My posts do not say to not use them and I have repeatedly stated that in an effort to hopefully get you to understand. You are implying it and trying to make me the anti-thermostat-changer-guy.

The fact of the matter is that when you change a part, there will always be a trade-off from OEM design and operation. Those that think otherwise are delusional. You cant lower your car without changing comfort/handling characteristics, you can't modify your intake without changing power/economy characteristics, you can't change your thermostat without changing heating/cooling (engine and interior) characteristics.

Give it a rest and sell your tune, geez. Like I said in my first post in this thread, you can run a tune with or without the 180 thermostat.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #67
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a feeling my focus will benefit from this mod after a tune to srt the fans to come on a bit earlier. It started warming up around here and I can already feel that the heath is effecting my focus a lot more then it did my mustang. After the car is fully warmed up a d cruising you can tell the heath is taki g power away big time. Actually I would say it seems to be effecting it more then any other car I had. I hope the termostat+tune can keep my car cooler and running the same like when its 50* weather outside unlike yesterday at 70*+. I believe when tom tells that it benefits our cars.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #68
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Quote:
This is exactly my point-you are the one arguing. My posts do not say to not use them and I have repeatedly stated that in an effort to hopefully get you to understand. You are implying it and trying to make me the anti-thermostat-changer-guy.

The fact of the matter is that when you change a part, there will always be a trade-off from OEM design and operation. Those that think otherwise are delusional. You cant lower your car without changing comfort/handling characteristics, you can't modify your intake without changing power/economy characteristics, you can't change your thermostat without changing heating/cooling (engine and interior) characteristics.

Give it a rest and sell your tune, geez. Like I said in my first post in this thread, you can run a tune with or without the 180 thermostat.
Its not that you are telling people not to do a thermostat mod dude, its the fact that you are arguing against it so much yet the difference in heating cooling is very very litle plus the benefits could be great.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #69
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
Its not that you are telling people not to do a thermostat mod dude, its the fact that you are arguing against it so much yet the difference in heating cooling is very very litle plus the benefits could be great.
So you have a problem with me mentioning the trade-offs off deviating from OEM design?

It's like this-when I bought my V-Maxx coilovers there were members that already knew they didn't fit the Mk3. I was pissed at the fact that none of them would choose to say anything online where people could be informed before making the decision to use them. It's a problem that is rampant within the Mk3 community, which is further compounded by the fact that some members don't want to believe anything other than a perfect-world scenario and will argue vehemently just to not be wrong.

This is part of why the Mk3 community is the laughing-stock of the Focus community. Even the ST members are mature enough to be able to receive and handle information in order to make a decision. The majority engage in critical-thinking daily and encourage sharing of information-both positive and negative-in order to figure out what products best fit their lifestyle. They already know that what works well for person A will not work well for person B.

Buy the thermostat, use Tom's tune, all you will see is a benefit with absolutely zero trade-offs for everyone everywhere. It's exactly what the engineers designed but someone along the line slipped up and changed the part on accident. This has nothing to do with selling product it's simply what is the best decision for all Mk3 owners everywhere.

There, I said what you want to hear (though you'll add a sarcastic tone when you read it and blame me for it). It's all rainbows and unicorns (sarcasm).

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #70
Eminaga
Focus Addict

I apreciate you are trying to help the mk3 community and you have been doing it way longer then I have been on this forum. I think I am done with this thread.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks