Wash > clay > polish > carnauba > synthetic - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've owned mainly dark colored vehicles, a few black, a dark green, dark red, and this Sangria red, I have used the cheap shit always, living in Florida and have never had an issue with paint, no oxidation, no swirls, no fading. I'm not ready to spend 20$ on a small bottle of wax, then a buffer, clays bars and more.

I beat the ever living shit out of this truck, first truck I owned, back when I was 15

Then when I was 20

I remember when I sold it the guy asked me what I was using and almost shit a twinkie when I told him just been using turtle wax or whatever is cheapest for the past 6 years. It always looked in top shape. Sad thing is, my cars and trucks have never been garaged.

I honestly don't believe a expensive wax is really needed.

Focus with Turtle Wax:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, my car is 2.5 years old. It has chips and scratches everywhere and is swirl city, so I don't know what to tell you...?

The swirls are probably from the times the dealer washed it for free. Oh well...
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
I have no idea, the only thing I do that may not be as spec to a lazy washer is use FRESHLY washed or new mircrofiber towels, and let it air dry everytime and let the wax remove the water spots. Other than that I really am not that into detailing, I may apply a coat of wax every few weeks but it doesn't take me over a hour or two for the complete car to be done, I just rub it on and off.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #24
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Collinite 845 is well reviewed so that's what I'm using. It's very thick. You have to warm it up before using it - stick it in hot water, and then it is thin. So far it's holding up and water ebads nicely, making it easier to clean with my hose and carwash brush (the kind that connects to a garden hose) - no soap needed. It's only been on 2-3 months.

I can imagine a wax being "deeper", but it's more touted for longevity than having the deepest shine. People top it with traditional carnauba wax, but I haven't yet bothered to.

I first washed and clay'd my car but it seemed worthless, perhaps since it's a new car (but sat on the dealer's lot for 6 months).

I then used the "Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish" by hand. I (mostly) removed a fairly deep scratch, but it took a lot of effort. I didn't want to do any harm (to paint that looked good) is why I used such a fine polish...just wanted to remove any developing oxidation and any fine swirls. A slightly more aggressive grit would have been better for hand application.

Bookmarks & Social Networks