Performance Upgrades Help! - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #41
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Performance Upgrades Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown1992 View Post
He used the example of "the MAF measures air in a parameter that the pcm is calibrated to measure in.. so lets say the MAF is programmed to measure in a 1-10, and say your cold air intake changed the air flow so now the MAF is reading 12-13.. the computer can only handle up to 10 and it doesnt know how tohandle the extra 2-3, so your engine will run lean because it cannot compute how to adjust for that much of change."
The next part is "of course you can reflash the pcm to allow the MAF to handle up to say 15, but then if I checked it for smog it would fail guaranteed."
This guy who told you this doesn't know jack*.

-face palm-

Glad you got it fixed. And yeah pzev means you must live in one of those CARB states. So very limited ways to go about without failing emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #42
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Any chance any of the folks here with the Roush intake post some pics or a quick underhood vidi?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #43
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown1992 View Post
Another thing I feel I should post here.. if you drive a non-ST Focus that is a PZEV emission model.. the ROUSH cat back is NOT for you.. turns out PZEV has a 2nd Cat and the kit requires it to be cut out.
Yes. Its a cat delete system. So is the fswerks stealth system. Don't know about the roush system but the stealth puts a resonator in place of the second cat. It shouldnt hinder anything unless your state is crazy about emissions. I just passed state inspection in VA with no problems and I no longer have my second cat.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #44
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
I'm curious, do you have a flex-fuel capable car?

If you do, then lean conditions can be masked by the FF_INF pid (flex-fuel inferred). The MAF sensors on the new Fords are very sensitive to contamination and can give all kinds of driveability grief. The traditional way to look at a lean or rich condition would be to monitor your long and short fuel trims. The problem with the flex-fuel equipped vehicles is if you have fuelled up around the time that you were experiencing issues, the PCM can mistake a lean condition for you switching fuel types to a higher ethanol blend and the FF_INF pid will make the corrections instead of short/long fuel trims. I have seen this strategy make adjustments even if the owner hasn't fuelled up recently so it is definitely something to consider. If you get a shop that is behind the times and doesn't know what the heck they are doing, they might look at the fuel trims and see they are normal and kick you out the door.

The reason why I am mentioning this, is I work in oilfield country. I see trucks that get beat up in the fields all day long, and are often serviced at quick lubes where the little oil change monkeys get all kinds of dirt, bug parts, grass, and other debris into the air intake. I frequently see contaminated MAF sensors cause issues like the one you are experiencing, and the flex fuel equipped vehicles often do not set any codes. The fuel trims look normal yet the FF_INF pid will be pegged right out (upwards of 75-80% corrections) because it thinks the owner has switched fuel types rather than having a lean condition being present. The debris on the MAF will cause an erroneous reading on how much air is actually entering your engine. I often find it will over-report at some RPMs and under-report the air at other RPM ranges. I even sometimes see contaminated MAF sensors read that airflow is present even when the engine is off.

Since it sounds like your dealership is staffed by a group of morons, led by an even dumber shop foreman, I suggest you take your MAF sensor out and examine it closely. Look for a blanket of fine dust on the sensing elements, or any dirt/grass/bug parts that may be trapped in the cavities of the sensor. If you find you have a contaminated MAF, try cleaning it with a MAF sensor safe cleaner. I personally use "SensorKleen" from CRC, but you may have to find something else down in the states. Do not use intake cleaners or carb cleaners as they are too harsh on the plastics of the MAF sensor.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->