Intelligent Access Key ID numbers - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
bkspero
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150362
What I Drive: 2014 Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 bkspero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intelligent Access Key ID numbers

There are 3 numbers on my IA keys and I am trying to sort out their relevance because I am getting shifting stories from my dealer. Originally the dealer told me that a new key had to have the same FCC ID (M3N5WY8609) and the same IC number (7812A-5WY8609) as my original key, and if I purchased one like that online they would program it for me no-charge (part of the purchase negotiation).

I got one, but after 1 1/2 hrs of trying, the dealer told me that there is a 3rd number on the key and they also have to match (the 3rd number on the new key is BT4T 15K601 Dx, and the old key has different first 4 digits, and ends with 15K601 Hx). The dealer claimed that the different 3rd numbers meant that the fobs use different frequencies....but when I got home I checked the tags that were attached to both the old and new keys, and all 3 are labeled 315 MHz...presumably the same frequency for each.

I suspect that the dealer's tech just made up the story about the wrong 3rd number when he couldn't program the new key. If it was critical, why did he struggle for 90 minutes before checking the 3rd number. And why didn't they tell me about the critical 3rd number when they originally told me only to match the first two numbers. And why did they tell me that different numbers represented different frequencies when the tags clearly indicate that the keys have the same frequencies. Because they needed an excuse to get rid of me other than saying that they didn't know how to program the key.

By the way, in a few other threads here the consensus seems to be that 2014 Focus IA keys must be programmed on a computer and not in the car (the published car method is inconsistent with the interior features of our cars). The tech took my car into the shop to do the programming...my guess is because he was trying to program the key using the car and not a computer.

So, which is right, must all three numbers on an IA key match for a given car, or is it only the FCC ID and the IC number that need to match?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
All KES(keyless entry systems) automobile wise would use somewhere in the 315mhz range. Idk about the FCC ID, I just figured that was a way for the FCC to identify a item, id think it remains the same for all specific IAs.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
bkspero
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshin352 View Post
All KES(keyless entry systems) automobile wise would use somewhere in the 315mhz range. Idk about the FCC ID, I just figured that was a way for the FCC to identify a item, id think it remains the same for all specific IAs.
The FCC ID seems relatively constant. There were at least 2 different IC numbers that I saw routinely for this FCC number. But little mention and no discussion of the 3rd number. Thats why the question.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

I'm at a loss for the third number, Maybe suss knows.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
bkspero
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshin352 View Post
I'm at a loss for the third number, Maybe suss knows.
Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for responding.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

[IMG][/IMG]

im unsure if this would help, but i figured i might post it since it contained RF.

EDIT: OP confirmed my key tag matches yours. though your BT4T 15K601 Dx is different at the end. Mine is DC.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
bkspero
Focus Rookie

A new key fob is coming

The eBay seller who sold me the original fob the the 3rd set of numbers beginning BT4T is exchanging it for another fob with the same 3rd set of numbers as mine (beginning CJ5T). Optimistic that it will work.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Btravelen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106375
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium 5 dr. Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Btravelen Good Standing Member
I bought a spare fob from an online Ford dealer. The difference in price was ridiculous compared to buying at my dealer. I like to have a spare (3rd). I gave them my VIN and they sent the apparently identical fob. I should have negotiated a spare upon purchasing my Focus but I didn't.

I went to have the oil changed and asked that they program the new fob. The tech spent quite awhile attempting to program it. He then came over and asked where I got it. He said it was defective. I didn't believe it and was annoyed with the inconvenience of having to go to them to program it in the first place. They hadn't programmed a fob and I suspect something in the process was awry.

They did work with me to get a replacement and warrant the 'bad' unit. The second try was successful and works well.

I get the anti theft benefit of these new keys/fobs but I believe it's a bit of a racket as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks