Bike Rack - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbenz View Post
Regarding the issue with paint using a clip-on rack. The Thule rep that worked with me selecting the correct rack for me suggested that before each use, make sure to have the contact points clean and apply a wax coating. This way, the dirt that is on the paint won't be there to damage the paint when using the clip-on rack. I have been doing this for a year now without any issues to my paint.
I always put a soft cloth under the hooks
Its the potential of the bike contacting the car that I worry about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
I've been using this on my '09 for the last year or so and I've been happy with it. Just have to put a sock or something over the inner pedal so it doesn't scratch the paint. It folds nicely and doesn't take up much more space than a couple text books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got this in case i need to carry my wife's bike.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both for under $60 and they work great. They also make a double model so you can carry 2 bikes (I think that one is like $80)...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
With my Thule, the rubberized covered bars contact the rear window and the bottom of the license plate with the top of the bumper. With the hatch, Thule reminds you NOT TO USE your rear wiper blade with the rack on. You will damage the rear wiper if a clip-on rack is used. Also, the clips do attach on the lip of the spoiler and the hatch. At first I thought the spoiler couldn't hold the weight of three bikes but I believe the two top clips are actually grabbing onto the frame of the hatch and not just the spoiler. Once I had the Thule installed, I used my own weight to determine the Thule is solidly attached. Now, I don't worry about it anymore. I have taken my bikes from the San Francisco Bay Area to Tahoe last summer without any issues. And this Thule has a built-in lock for the rack to the car and another for the bikes to add additional security and piece of mind for me.

I have had a Thule roof rack in the past for a wagon and SUV. It was a hassle for the SUV where I almost felt I needed a step ladder to load my mountain bikes up on top. Like others will tell you, once you load several bikes on top with a roof rack, expect a sizable drop in gas mileage and increased noise. I don't see much, if any, drop in gas mileage nor do I hear additional noise with my Thule clip-on rack. An added bonus is the ease of loading the bikes onto the clip-on rack let alone the mud is not on top or in the vehicle with the mountain bikes.
Thanks for all the tips. I was going to get one that holds 3 bikes, but I think I'm just going to go with one that holds 2. Once I get it, I'll post some pics. It may be awhile though. Been busy lately and it's not looking to be nice enough to use anyways.

Feel free to post pics or tips if anyone has them. Been looking for a good picture of a hatch rack on a focus without much success.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 03-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #34
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybigrc View Post
No bike rack needed. I load two road bikes with the front wheels off in the back of my ST. I made a bike holder for them. See link for image
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=8ae680155a
What did you use for the holder? I am interested in doing something like that for my mountain bike.
Injected Tune!
More to come!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
tmtex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110584
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE - 2005 F150 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 tmtex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a Trek EX 7 mountain. I bought a cheap (50+/-) from dicks sporting goods. I have a hatch and just hook it to the trunk and take it off when done. Very easy HOWEVER if going fast its looks like its about to fly off the rack. I do strap it down.

Anyway I also aren't into the roof racks
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #36
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
I took the fork mounts off of the interior bike rack that I bought for my Saturn View. But I have seen similair ones on Amazon and at the local bike shop.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #37
Marine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105885
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Marine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Regarding the issue with paint using a clip-on rack. The Thule rep that worked with me selecting the correct rack for me suggested that before each use, make sure to have the contact points clean and apply a wax coating. This way, the dirt that is on the paint won't be there to damage the paint when using the clip-on rack. I have been doing this for a year now without any issues to my paint.
Howdy, what model is your thule and I was thinking of the 9003 platform or 9001xt Have pics?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #38
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Well since this was brought back, just a quick update. It took awhile because I had to have some emergency surgery and i'm just now getting back up and around. I just ordered the Saris Bones bike rack. It seemed to be the best rack available without spending $200. It was free shipping, so it won't be here for a bit, but I'll post pics when I get it on.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #39
GrantYoung
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 156578
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 GrantYoung Good Standing Member
I use the Thule aero bars and they are perfect. No paint issues, no slipping issues, nothing. Perfect rack.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
falcompsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108012
What I Drive: 2013 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 falcompsx Good Standing Member
I just throw my bike in the back with the seats down. if you need to carry more than one, i'd go with nothing less than a hitch mount. Anything else risks damaging the paint on your car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks