HOW-TO Install Shift Knob/Boot on ATX - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
HOW-TO Install Shift Knob/Boot on ATX

How-to Install a Shift Knob/Boot on your ATX

Ok, want to get rid of that ugly T-handle shift knob the Auto Focus came equipped with? It's not too hard, here we go:

1. Remove your stock console. This mod should work for a console out of an atx or mtx car, they appear identical.Removing the console involves a screw under each front cupholder, and one under a rear cupholder for most models. Pull the e-brake all the way up, and put the car into 2, as it helps to wiggle the console out. If you have an armrest, that needs removing too, it attaches with 2 bolts hidden under a plastic panel at the rear, you can pop it off from the backseat.

2. Once the console is out, you should see something like this:

3. Remove the stock shift knob by removing one Torx/hex screw, under your O/D button. I can't remember the size, but it's Metric... maybe 13mm?

(NOTE- Knob can also be removed before the console, it makes no difference)

4. Once the knob's screw is out, simply pull up on the piece to get it off the shift rod, the O/D wires will pull out with it, they're attached with a tiny plug:

Now you have this, the shift stalk with a smaller rod coming out of it. When you push the center rod down, it lets you move the gear selector so any aftermarket knob must have a part to push down once installed:

5. For me, the console wouldn't go back on with a shift boot in place while leaving the gear selector "plate" in place, so I removed it. It is attached with a couple clips that release if you tug up on the plate. There are also 2 wires going to the plate, that backlight the gears when your lights are on (you can't see these with the boot on). It's possible you could do some Dremeling to this plate to let the shift boot ring set in far enough to screw the console back into place, but I didn't try:

~Here you see the driver side clip, in front of the plate, and the red & black wires I snipped.

With the plate removed, your car's center now looks like this:

6. If your knob doens't have an OD button integrated (most don't) you can relocate it, or don't since your car is automatically in OD... without a new button you just wouldn't be able to go down to Drive. I haven't yet relocated my OD switch, but this picture is trying to show you where the wires are. At the right side of the shot is the shifter stalk, if you lean your head over the shift area and look down you see a small white plastic rectangle with (I think) 2 wires running to it. The rectangle looks exactly like the plug-end attached to your stock knob:

7. Now you want to pop a shift boot into the console before reinstalling it. This one shown was bought off an SVT, so the leather boot was already stapled to the plastic "ring" structure that lets it snap into the console. A regular MTX Focus will have a vinyl boot with its ring. Notice the 2 plastic tabs on the left side of the ring, and the one tab in the center of the right end, those are securing it to the bottom of the console:

NOTE- this can be done without the plastic ring if you buy a universal boot (NAPA, AutoZone...) and tuck it around the stock gear selector plate (so don't remove that piece if you do it this way!)

8. Now reinstall your console, you don't have to screw it in, but make sure it settles back into place so that you could tighten it down. Here's the look so far:

9. Now you will install whatever knob you purchased for the task. My knob was made by MOMO, it's their only Automatic model. I bought it here Oh, right now it's on Sale if you like it! It claimed that it can't be installed on ATXs with "side button" function, but clearly that's untrue. Make sure your knob is made for an auto, as the MTX ones won't fit correctly. Mine came with several rubber "cylinders" with different diameters to be placed in the knob so it fit somewhat snugly on the shift stalk, and then the knob, 3 screws and a silver twist-on bottom portion:

And the end result! (Your results may vary on account of knob choice)

~This mod was done to a 2003 Focus, it should work for all years (counting 2005) as all the parts appear to have been conserved.

Last edited by Lil PZEV; 06-05-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
04zx3premium
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10142
FF Reputation: 1 04zx3premium Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
o thanks pzev lol... now why couldnt you have posted this a week ago lol. ill be posting any day now with my next few mods, theyre acutally kinda cool.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
jbibbs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20710
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Ti 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 jbibbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Awesome, Thank You.... I may be doing this to mine this weekend. I found a red leather shift boot that matches the red painted vents perfectly
Old 06-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
lol...it looks so.....tall....compared to my manual short-throw.

That shift boot is standing at full attention, that's for sure!

Looks good, and nice write up!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
paulhaskew
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22729
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 3 paulhaskew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
sweet, and thanks for the write up, much better than any other I have seen...!
Motive Racing - [> = my friend!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
robs01se
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21959
What I Drive: 2001 Black SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 robs01se Good Standing Member
Thanks so much for the how-to PZEV, now I can get to work on getting it done.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
valthun
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21928
What I Drive: 2007 BRG Mini Cooper

FF Reputation: 1 valthun Good Standing Member
That is a great how-to, even for just replacing the shift knob. Definately letting my ATX co-worker see this one.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Amanda, I think the pic makes it looks especially tall, but it's certainly up higher than any STS!

If you wanted it shorter, I imagine you could just cut the outer stalk and the inner push-down rod, cut the same amount off each and it should retain the exact same function, just a little lower.

Valthun, jsut replacing the knob would be a cinch, once you found one you liked, like 2 screws and you'd be done really!
Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
jbibbs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20710
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Ti 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 jbibbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hey Amanda,

I wanted to thank you again for the write up, I installed my shift boot and shift knob over the weekend (as well as a few other things) and it looks awesome. I did discover that if you are unable to find a Focus shift boot at your local junk yard or online, you can go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and pick up one of the shift boots and the one I found works perfectly on my car without removing the gear selector plate. I actually used that plate to secure my shift boot, I just wrapped the elastic portion of the boot around that. I'll have some pics of mine up tomorrow.

Last edited by jbibbs; 06-05-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Hadn't thought of that John, good point. I added an edit to the how-to with that note, for those who want to keep the plate.

Can't wait to see your pics

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->