Simple Focus Mk3 audio upgrade - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #61
walleballr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 137969
What I Drive: 2014 tangerine scream ST

FF Reputation: 1 walleballr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks doogie just wanted to make sure seeing the wire colors are different on the factory harness and the plug was gonna fit. Might have missed it all in the previous 6 pages lol. Just read right past it I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #62
fenway1912
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116879
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 fenway1912 Good Standing Member
Awesome! Thank you very much DoogieB for the write up and compilation of reference posts.

I'm going to start with just the amp, hopefully that would clean up the muddled sound a bit.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #63
walleballr
Focus Rookie

Thanks Doogie the installation went extremely well with your info. Im gonna use the unused power/ground leads for my Sirius unit. once again thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #64
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127930
What I Drive: 2014 Dark Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 Metalcrack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusFantastic View Post
Anything to do with electronics can be considered a potential hazard, but there isn't any increased danger from an amp. Most people put the amp in the trunk, if you want some extra protection, double fuse it, one in the rear and and one in the front.
Yup. The fuse you install in the power wire is...TO PROTECT YOUR BATTERY/ELECTRONICS. Most amps have onboard fuses and protections built in. If your power wire shorts to ground THAT is the fire hazard.

You leave no ventilation for the amp....shuts off due to thermal protection.

Too low final load (ohms on a channel).....shuts off due to impedance protection.

Battery wire shorts out.....blows a fuse. This is why it's super important to keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #65
walleballr
Focus Rookie

here is the result
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #66
Brad52693
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108986
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Brad52693 Good Standing Member
So I'm doing my audio system for the first time. I was wondering if anyone could dumb it down and explain the whole set up. How the harness and amp hook up to the main system of the car and how the speakers hook up to the amp.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #67
vampirefish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80519
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus SE HB 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 vampirefish Good Standing Member
Thought I'd add that a friend and I (ok- mainly him as I helped :) installed the Polk DB6501's today and they are awesome! My next upgrade (if at all) will be the rears. We installed the speakers using the old speaker frame (just as this thread suggested). The one thing that proved challenging was mounting the tweeters as they didn't fit into the factory mounts. We had to McGyver it but made it work. What an IMPROVEMENT! Both the factory speakers and tweeter sounded so terrible and you could see why when we took them out- total crap quality. But on a positive note- they actually sounded good for the quality- ha ha! If that makes any sense! Thanks all- this thread was very helpful.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #68
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
Thought...
We had to McGyver it but made it work.....
very helpful.
Hahaha that's so 80s! Is that guy still alive? Is he playing at all?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #69
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've seen a few short-depth subwoofers on amazon that I hope will fit in the spare tire area/well (of the hatch version)...has anyone fund one that fits?

Or I could build a box which fits perfectly. Efficiency will be lower than a large box, but that's easy to fix - turn up the bass more!

Who really needs a spare tire nowadays. The only times I've had flats in 30 years, I've been at home, or it was a slow leak, or I was close enough to a shop that I could quickly fill the tire and get there. I also keep fix-a-flat in my car...and w/o a spare, I'd also keep an air pump in the car.

Or I suppose I could keep the spare tire in my car except when I know I need every bit of room in the trunck/hatch, back seat, and floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlexiss View Post
If there was a good spot of wasted space for a stealthbox like my Firebird has in the rear corner, I'd think about putting one in. But I love the total-stock look of this upgrade path, and I need to keep all the hatch cargo space.[/LIST]
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #70
forthetide
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 148026
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 forthetide Good Standing Member
Did you replace the factory tweeters? If you did, how well did the Polks fit?
And does anyone know if the setup is the same on 2014 model 6 speaker system with Sync and Sat. radio? Geeksquad guy told me not to mess with the factory unit in these cars because it screws Sync up. I can't see that being a problem with this setup if the harness is plug and play and you never cut any factory wires. That's got me wondering if the 2014 setup may be different. Thanks for any help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks