1.8 Focus Turbo kit help! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
03_focus_lx_1.8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145730
What I Drive: 2002 Red Ford Focus LX 1.8

FF Reputation: 1 03_focus_lx_1.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile 1.8 Focus Turbo kit help!

Hey all.
So just to let you all know I am a complete air brain when it comes to do with turbo's or any other type of forced induction... I apologize in advance if I say something completely stupid...

So I have a Manual 2003 Ford Focus LS sedan with the 1.8l 16V Zetec-E engine in it (Australia) and I am looking at putting a turbo in it.
I have looked on eBay and found a Turbo kit that I am interested in but it says it's for a 2.0l, I cant really find one for the 1.8l as The only turbo kits I could find are in the US and they did not get the 1.8l.
Basically I am just wanting to know if you guys think it will work. The manifold gasket is the same through out the Zetec-E range (1.8, 2.0, 2.3) so I think the manifold would fit fine just not sure about the rest.
Also is there anything I will have to do to the car to insure it will not brake down or cause any damage to the drive line or internal components of the engine. I am not wanting to add huge power and make the car into a drag car or anything, I just want it to have a bit more power and I love the feeling of a turbo kicking in. If anyone on the forum is in Adelaide is there someone who you can recommend with the installation.

This is the link to the turbo kit I found on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171145051...84.m1438.l2649

I was also looking at getting this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121164104...84.m1438.l2649

I have had many questions into why I am doing this and the answer is simple! Cause I want to.
Truth be told I actually did not really want to buy this car but I did because of the cheap price and low K's. I have had it for a few months now and every time the idea of me selling it comes up I just cant part with it. Every time I drive it I smile, this is a feeling I have not has since I have my first car (1985 Ford Meteor/Laser) and I have had many nice cars including an E55AMG, G6E Turbo, X5 4.8is... None of these cars give me the feeling of the focus, its smooth and comfortable but yet it handles so well and feels so solid. So this is why I want to spend some money on it making it a little bit different to the rest!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Forced Induction". Usually when people associate turbo systems and Ebay, it generally spells bad news. Most of the turbo kits sold on Ebay are cheap junk which is the reason they can be had for such low prices. Remember, you pay for what you get. If it's cheap, more than likely it's going to be cheap feeling or not work that well. As for turbo kits available for the 1.8L...you would probably have to look towards a manufacture in the UK or Europe. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
photn02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116617
What I Drive: Silver

FF Reputation: 1 photn02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey Mate,

To answer your questions:

Ebay Kits are very dangerous because the bits and pieces in them are of unknown origin and generally a poor make.

My Recomendation would be to speak with Turbo Tom from Focus Power, he offers a DIY kit that so many people on here have bought and used. I myself an looking into purchasing this kit soon.
You will get no better tune than from Tom. He is the best in the US for remote tuning and he is FAR better than any place you will find in australia.

here is his Thread for the Turbo Kit

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226552

Secondly, Dont buy that garbage exhaust off ebay. i know ebay can seem attractive cause the prices are cheap, but that normally means that the parts are made cheaply as well. What you will need is a 2.5" cat back exhaust from your local exhaust, you can use Redback Mufflers these are great or if you really want to you can get a Milltek Mk1 RS exhaust from the UK and it will make is sound perfect, (exactly what im doing). The Milltek will mount up no issues at all.

And the Exhaust

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230728543...84.m1423.l2649

My only other recomendation would be to replace the 1.8 with a 2.0. It is literally a straight swap as the 1.8 and 2.0 are straight forward swaps. pick one up from the wrecker for about 400-500 bucks and everything will just swap right over. I would also recomend getting a Clutch and flywheel package. i would recomend the Fidanza flywheel and the Exceedy Clutch. On a stock engine the AUS 2.0 black top can handle about 9-10 psi of boost. thats about 200-215HP with a good tune or 130FWKW. Thats as much as a MK1 Focus RS btw. Anymore than that you will need other supporting mods.

If you need any further help feel free to PM me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks