2013 Ford Focus Stereo Upgrade - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
partimepunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144753
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 partimepunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Ford Focus Stereo Upgrade

Hi there. Ive recently bought a 2013 Focus titanium (UK Model), and was really disappointed with the overall sound of the stereo. Ive been researching upgrades and mods for a few weeks but am no further forward. I'm away to take the sub (Front of the car on top of the dash) out, as there are reports of a clearer sound-stage. I want to replace the speakers and tweeters and have bought a sub to go in the back.

I was hoping someone can help me with these things -

1. What depth of speakers will fit in my car, are they 6.5 diameter? What make and power output are the stock speakers?

2. Does the center sub have its own output from the head unit that I can use for a rear sub?

Does anyone know where I could get a schematic of the Sony head-unit?

Also, any recommendations to speakers and amps would be appreciated. Have bought an Alpine SWD-3000 active sub for the boot.

Picture of my head unit below.

Thanks very much,
Mark.

Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
JoeyK
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 74299
What I Drive: 07, Metalic Grey, ZX5 SES

Points 247, Level 4
Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JoeyK Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Your speakers are 6.5" in diameter. You do not have to worry about depth, window will not get in the way. Power rating for the stock is around 35 watts and made by Sony stamped by Ford

You would use the factory sub only for a Line Out converter to provide signal to an aftermarket amp/sub.

I love and run all Alpine Type-R equipment with Alpine PDX amps
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
partimepunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144753
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 partimepunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyK View Post
Your speakers are 6.5" in diameter. You do not have to worry about depth, window will not get in the way. Power rating for the stock is around 35 watts and made by Sony stamped by Ford

You would use the factory sub only for a Line Out converter to provide signal to an aftermarket amp/sub.

I love and run all Alpine Type-R equipment with Alpine PDX amps
Thanks for that Joey K. The cable that was connected to the front sub, is that a dedicated out on the head unit?

I removed the front sub tonight, definatley better stereo definition but the trade off is that the speakers are distorting at high levels. The output of the head unit and the power rating of the speakers are not high enough.

Going to install my sub at the weekend. I'm hoping that I can roll the bass off the stock speakers and let the sub kick it out from the back. I don't know if that will be possible as there's no dedicated sub control on the head unit.

Will I need a speaker to RCA convertor, or can I extend the cable with phonos on the end (that kind of relates to the dedicated sub output question)?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
JoeyK
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 74299
What I Drive: 07, Metalic Grey, ZX5 SES

Points 247, Level 4
Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JoeyK Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yeah, a sub woofer will make unwanted noise disappear. So of course removing one will increase that noise. As for that factory sub, I doubt it is running off the radio. There should be a small amp powering it.

No factory output wattage is ever high enough, lol.
Use a speaker to RCA convertor= line out converter LOC. The wires for this will be spliced onto the sub "+" & "-" wires at the sub up front, then run your RCA's to the amp.
Im not familar with the stock radio, but the adjustments will be limited to "bass" at least. Since it is the Sony package will factory sub, it may have a sub control in the menu..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.