Intake Mani - Tumble Flaps Help plox - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Fangren
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100337
What I Drive: 2003 Black Centennial ZTS 2.3l MTX

Points 295, Level 5
Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Fangren Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I swapped out a IM with 90k~ on it, in good condition no rust/outer wear and clean on insides.

Replaced gaskets and PCV hose/valve. Seems like car runs better now but will find out after fill up etc for mileage. Need to do system clean air/fuel/exhaust since i did a new exhaust just beforehand. Had to use old IAC though, new(er) one had issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 9,496, Level 65
Points: 9,496, Level: 65 Points: 9,496, Level: 65 Points: 9,496, Level: 65
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 56 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangren View Post
I swapped out a IM with 90k~ on it, in good condition no rust/outer wear and clean on insides.

Replaced gaskets and PCV hose/valve. Seems like car runs better now but will find out after fill up etc for mileage. Need to do system clean air/fuel/exhaust since i did a new exhaust just beforehand. Had to use old IAC though, new(er) one had issues.
Hey that sounds great.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Fangren
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100337
What I Drive: 2003 Black Centennial ZTS 2.3l MTX

Points 295, Level 5
Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Fangren Good Standing Member
After careful consideration I think im going to check all the components of my air intake air box system make sure its sealed. that could be why im having an issue, if its not sealed especially before MAF
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Black05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 123169
What I Drive: 2005 Black St

Points 317, Level 6
Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6 Points: 317, Level: 6
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Black05 Good Standing Member
Any one have a how to for removing the tuble flaps on my 05 st? Its starting to be noticable and gas milage has went down over the last 6 months
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
There is a VERY long thread on tumble flap delete in the duratec performance section, you can find alot of useful information in that thread but it is not a direct "how to" instructions for it. I just replaced my manifold because of the tumble flaps falling apart, I went with a knockoff cosi for multiple reasons but if you don't have a big power build in mind just deleting the tumble flaps isn't a bad idea, you will still need a tune though. I may take my old manifold and delete the tumble flaps on it just to do a write up on how to do it. You could also try to find an intake manifold off of a ford escape with the duratec engine, it is the same as the focus manifold except doesn't have the tumble flaps so you could just bolt that manifold right on and be done.

And @fangren, its more important to make sure everything is sealed up AFTER the MAF. If you have a leak AFTER the MAF then that will allow unaccounted for air into the engine that the MAF sensor never saw a.k.a. a vacuum leak. If you have a leak BEFORE the MAF it won't cause much of an issue because all that air still passes by the MAF and is accounted for by the ECU.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

There is a VERY long thread on tumble flap delete in the duratec performance section, you can find alot of useful information in that thread but it is not a direct "how to" instructions for it. I just replaced my manifold because of the tumble flaps falling apart, I went with a knockoff cosi for multiple reasons but if you don't have a big power build in mind just deleting the tumble flaps isn't a bad idea, you will still need a tune though. I may take my old manifold and delete the tumble flaps on it just to do a write up on how to do it. You could also try to find an intake manifold off of a ford escape with the duratec engine, it is the same as the focus manifold except doesn't have the tumble flaps so you could just bolt that manifold right on and be done.

And @fangren, its more important to make sure everything is sealed up AFTER the MAF. If you have a leak AFTER the MAF then that will allow unaccounted for air into the engine that the MAF sensor never saw a.k.a. a vacuum leak. If you have a leak BEFORE the MAF it won't cause much of an issue because all that air still passes by the MAF and is accounted for by the ECU.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 9,496, Level 65
Points: 9,496, Level: 65 Points: 9,496, Level: 65 Points: 9,496, Level: 65
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 56 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05 View Post
Any one have a how to for removing the tuble flaps on my 05 st? Its starting to be noticable and gas milage has went down over the last 6 months
[QUOTE=Phestezio;5503521]You could also try to find an intake manifold off of a ford escape with the duratec engine, it is the same as the focus manifold except doesn't have the tumble flaps so you could just bolt that manifold right on and be done.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats what I'm going to do soon= escape23 i/m, pcv hose & massive's egr delete plate.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

@Felix, I know the escape manifold is the same as ours without the tumbler flaps but its still plastic like ours correct? The escape doesn't have an aluminum IM does it?

Bookmarks & Social Networks