Couple of Car Issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
NixNox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 142233
What I Drive: 1999, Green, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 NixNox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Couple of Car Issues

Just recently bought my first car. Really wanted a focus, and got it for reasonable price. Had to change some stuff(oil, filters etc.), but nothing much, just the things you change when buying new car.

It's a 1999 Focus Universal.

So It's been already two months, and there are some small, but for me, really annoying faults to it.

Firstly - It's now winter and my car just won't close/open when i press my key buttons. Sometimes it closes, sometimes not. So I've been even standing in snow for about 3-5 minutes trying to unlock/lock it. I read some things here in forum about this problem, but there are so many solutions how to fix, that I don't know what to try. Maybe some specific solution in mind, anyone?

Ok, second problem - My drivers door speaker. When I'm driving, it's just silent. It was playing before, then crackled and now it's dead silence.
I thought - ok. Maybe speaker was dead. I'll change speakers when I have time and money. Then I noticed two things. When I brake - speaker turns on.
Hmm.. weird. So, maybe it's electronics fault. Then week later, I noticed one more thing - When drivers door is open, it's playing how it should be.

Third - I have heated both rear and front windshield. Rear works just fine, front seems like it's dead. Only unfreezing i can get on that window - hot air stream.

If someone has solutions for these faults, please help. Also I don't want to go to repair shop, if I can fix myself. It's my first car and I don't want to waste much money on it, if possible.

Sorry for my bad english, and
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Couple suggestions for the problems.

Door latches on older cars often went without lubrication, try some penetrating spray lubricant first - followed by the regular maintenance of penetrating spray grease later. Cold weather & dry, sticky lock mechanism doubles up on this "simple" problem.

Driver side speaker could be a wiring fault where the wire flex leading to the door. Before digging into wiring, look for a plug-in joint where the cables lead to the body (inside the opening between door & body). Just unplugging there, checking for corrosion & plugging back in securely may solve the problem (did on mine).

We don't have the electric front defrost, like the rear checking fuse & looking at wire connector the the windshield would be first checks. Careful with the connection to the Windshield - hold window side when touching the connector so it doesn't pull off the window!!

S.R. #275
Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
If your getting steam, it sounds like it could be your heater core. Is there any fluid coming out into the interior passenger foot well?
HATCH NATION #139 | 2013 ST "P5" | Sponsored By: Borla, Wilwood, Vortech, & Mothers Polish

2005 ZXW "P7" | Flowmaster Exhaust | XXR 521 | Vogtland Springs | SAP Front Bumper | Roush skirts
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
NixNox
Focus Rookie

Not steam, but stReam. I just put my vents on the window and feet, to defrost windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Door latches on older cars often went without lubrication, try some penetrating spray lubricant first - followed by the regular maintenance of penetrating spray grease later. Cold weather & dry, sticky lock mechanism doubles up on this "simple" problem.
What to lubricate?

And I hope that you understand correctly. When i press my key to lock car - when it works, salon light shuts down and my hazard lights flash one time. I don't have frozen locks or doors. It should be something electrical, not mechanical.

Quote:
Driver side speaker could be a wiring fault where the wire flex leading to the door. Before digging into wiring, look for a plug-in joint where the cables lead to the body (inside the opening between door & body). Just unplugging there, checking for corrosion & plugging back in securely may solve the problem (did on mine).
So I shold just check between body and door, for some connector? Or it's somewhere inside the door or body, but I can get to it from the space between car/body, when I open door?

Quote:
We don't have the electric front defrost, like the rear checking fuse & looking at wire connector the the windshield would be first checks. Careful with the connection to the Windshield - hold window side when touching the connector so it doesn't pull off the window!!
what do you mean pull off the window?

Again, sorry about my english.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixNox View Post
Not steam, but stReam. I just put my vents on the window and feet, to defrost windshield.

Understood.

What to lubricate?

**Door latches themselves, the part that clamps to the body to hold the door closed.

And I hope that you understand correctly. When i press my key to lock car - when it works, salon light shuts down and my hazard lights flash one time. I don't have frozen locks or doors. It should be something electrical, not mechanical.

**This is a first, easiest, "fix". If latches are "sticky" they may not close completely. Not fully closed, electric switch is not tripped. Does not work right if electronics think the door is open.

**Many longer threads on the electrical switching exist, this was a quick fix for mine when the trunk latch was sticky.

So I shold just check between body and door, for some connector? Or it's somewhere inside the door or body, but I can get to it from the space between car/body, when I open door?

**Wires between body & door, mine has a connector at the body where the wires pass through the door frame. Space between when door is open.

what do you mean pull off the window?

**Window wiring has a tab for wire connection. It is part of the window & can come off easily. If connector is pulled off to check for voltage or ground, care is needed to avoid pulling this off the window. These connections can come loose from the window, another common cause of your problem.

Again, sorry about my english.
Do not worry, we will try to understand.

I edited to ** my responses, they printed in your quote.

S.R. #275

Last edited by sailor; 02-15-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Starred responses
Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Dokuzon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128626
What I Drive: 2002, Grey, ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 Dokuzon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixNox View Post
Just recently bought my first car. Really wanted a focus, and got it for reasonable price. Had to change some stuff(oil, filters etc.), but nothing much, just the things you change when buying new car.

It's a 1999 Focus Universal.

So It's been already two months, and there are some small, but for me, really annoying faults to it.

Firstly - It's now winter and my car just won't close/open when i press my key buttons. Sometimes it closes, sometimes not. So I've been even standing in snow for about 3-5 minutes trying to unlock/lock it. I read some things here in forum about this problem, but there are so many solutions how to fix, that I don't know what to try. Maybe some specific solution in mind, anyone?

Ok, second problem - My drivers door speaker. When I'm driving, it's just silent. It was playing before, then crackled and now it's dead silence.
I thought - ok. Maybe speaker was dead. I'll change speakers when I have time and money. Then I noticed two things. When I brake - speaker turns on.
Hmm.. weird. So, maybe it's electronics fault. Then week later, I noticed one more thing - When drivers door is open, it's playing how it should be.

Third - I have heated both rear and front windshield. Rear works just fine, front seems like it's dead. Only unfreezing i can get on that window - hot air stream.

If someone has solutions for these faults, please help. Also I don't want to go to repair shop, if I can fix myself. It's my first car and I don't want to waste much money on it, if possible.

Sorry for my bad english, and
Thanks in advance.
For the first one (assuming you are talking about the remote), did you replace the remote battery? Given the age of the car its not unlky that the battery could just be worn down. (Due to you standing in the snow for 5 minutes, it seems it was assumed the key didn't work ether).

Second, i agree with sailor, the part being referred to is the area cables run between the body of the car and the door similar to the one in the image. As the wires flex when the door opens and closes, over time they can be damaged.

Third, in terms of heated window do you mean the defroster funtion isnt working, from what i understand the front window heating is done though the climate control and involves air, it is not electric on most cars.

Hope i understood you correctly
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
NixNox
Focus Rookie

Well, fixed speakers. Now only have to fix window heating and remote.

Batteries are switched. But each time I bought a new battery It worked fine for about two days. I don't think it's the battery fault. Maybe it was just a coinsidence, but maybe it was dry then. Could it just be the signal reciever in the car, that is not recieving a signal from the key?

In my front windshield there are like wavy lines troughout the window, but When i press the button on my dashboard, it doesn't defrost until there is no air stream on the window.
But I can live with that. Firstly I need to fix my remote key issues..
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
suzukisam967m
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 138929
What I Drive: 2003 french blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 suzukisam967m Good Standing Member
most US cars don't have the winter package. My land rovers have it though. typically if your heated wind screen isn't working it's the relay. not sure where it would be on a focus. also make sure your wind shield doesn't have any cracks. One little crack will break the current. On my rover there are two feeds one on either side of the windshield. I have a crack and only my passenger side will work. but at $700 for a windshield I'm not replacing it right now. my wifes has been replaced with a non heated but it still has all the controls
Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
NixNox
Focus Rookie

Was thinking of fixing my key problems today, but it's raining. Will try to fix it when it's dry. Hopefully I'll fix it..

Also, does anyone know where in the car is the key reciever situated?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
If you search Google for "2003_5_Focus_WD.pdf" you will find a manual that covers the Euro Focus for 2003. It is not the manual for your model year, but it may be helpful.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->