fine swirls in tuxedo black - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119488
Location: Franklin County, MO
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Posts: 411
FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just 'as an add', just because you don't see the swirls from the dealer doesn't mean they aren't there. Waxes, glazes and fillers are often added by the guys who clean the cars at the dealership. Over a couple of months, these break down and wash away and the scratches and swirls appear. Personally, I ask them not to wash the car; let me do all that!
__________________
2014 Ford Focus SE, Tuxedo Black (Sport pkg, 5spd manual)
2002 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Frost (Wifes Car)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Thunder Blue / Graphite Two-Tone
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Romans5.8 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
2014SESPORT
Focus Enthusiast
 
2014SESPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 121361
Location: Southeastern Ohio, OH
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus SE Sport

Posts: 95
FF Reputation: 1 2014SESPORT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just 'as an add', just because you don't see the swirls from the dealer doesn't mean they aren't there. Waxes, glazes and fillers are often added by the guys who clean the cars at the dealership. Over a couple of months, these break down and wash away and the scratches and swirls appear. Personally, I ask them not to wash the car; let me do all that!
As a dealer employee, I can vouch for this 100%. Most dealers do not hire detailers; they hire lot guys and call them detailers, our store included. My sales guy already knew not to even have them clean my car for delivery last week.

They will throw a fast wax on like Malco's Flash Wax which is actually a nice wet look wax but after one wash it is gone. Some of the bulk detail supplies these outfits sell are terrible. I have seen everything from the tire shine from some of these vendors actually discoloring bumpers,etc. I cringe just looking at some of the stuff in our detail dept. Those snow removers should not even be allowed into a dealership. Those do nothing but damage paint.
__________________
2014 Focus SE w/sport package - Oxford White
1988 Chevy Beretta GTU - 1 of 138 with only 17k - Mint
2013 Honda CBR 250 R w/ABS - Red
Wife - 2013 Focus SE - Ruby Red
2014SESPORT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119488
Location: Franklin County, MO
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Posts: 411
FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SESPORT View Post
As a dealer employee, I can vouch for this 100%. Most dealers do not hire detailers; they hire lot guys and call them detailers, our store included. My sales guy already knew not to even have them clean my car for delivery last week.

They will throw a fast wax on like Malco's Flash Wax which is actually a nice wet look wax but after one wash it is gone. Some of the bulk detail supplies these outfits sell are terrible. I have seen everything from the tire shine from some of these vendors actually discoloring bumpers,etc. I cringe just looking at some of the stuff in our detail dept. Those snow removers should not even be allowed into a dealership. Those do nothing but damage paint.
All about the benjamins!

Look at the time it takes for a dealer to detail a new car. A brand new car detail from a professional will run several hours. These dealers will knock it out with a quick rotary buffer and cheap wax, cheap wash and greasy tire and interior dressings in under an hour.

My dealer has been instructed not to detail my car either!

If car owners were better educated when it came to paint care, then it would be unacceptable. But every time you see someone use a paper towel from the gas station to wipe bird droppings off of their paint; you realize they have NO idea how paint works (or how soft and easy to scratch it is!). To most people a 'scratch' is a deep scratch that goes through clear and base coat down to primer or metal; without realizing that you can (EAASSSILLLYY) scratch just the clearcoat, which can sometimes be difficult to see until it accumulates! ONE run through an automatic car wash with brushes will instill thousands of tiny clearcoat scratches!
__________________
2014 Ford Focus SE, Tuxedo Black (Sport pkg, 5spd manual)
2002 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Frost (Wifes Car)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Thunder Blue / Graphite Two-Tone
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Romans5.8 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
2014SESPORT
Focus Enthusiast
 
2014SESPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 121361
Location: Southeastern Ohio, OH
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus SE Sport

Posts: 95
FF Reputation: 1 2014SESPORT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
All about the benjamins!

Look at the time it takes for a dealer to detail a new car. A brand new car detail from a professional will run several hours. These dealers will knock it out with a quick rotary buffer and cheap wax, cheap wash and greasy tire and interior dressings in under an hour.

My dealer has been instructed not to detail my car either!

If car owners were better educated when it came to paint care, then it would be unacceptable. But every time you see someone use a paper towel from the gas station to wipe bird droppings off of their paint; you realize they have NO idea how paint works (or how soft and easy to scratch it is!). To most people a 'scratch' is a deep scratch that goes through clear and base coat down to primer or metal; without realizing that you can (EAASSSILLLYY) scratch just the clearcoat, which can sometimes be difficult to see until it accumulates! ONE run through an automatic car wash with brushes will instill thousands of tiny clearcoat scratches!
Amen brother! The local BP station just built a car wash with the brushes. I instructed my wife to NEVER take her car through it. Well, I told my entire family and friends for that matter! Haha!

As for the dealerships, you're spot on. People think a scratch is something that goes through the paint. They have no clue. Every so often they will sell to someone who has a clue. Last week they sold an Ingot Silver SE hatch to a guy. The paper towels they use are terrible, so when they cleaned his windows the goof balls went right over the appliques on the doors and put all kinds of swirls on them. The owner did not accept it and wanted new appliques. I would have done the same, employee or not.

What makes me mad is none of these "detail" guys take any pride in their work; I am not saying every person who works in clean up in a dealer is like this as we had a guy who could detail but as I said in another thread the guy wanted more money and they would not accommodate him so he left and there are guys/girls out there who do know their stuff.

It just frustrates me when I see the sun shine in the right direction on the used car lot and see all of the swirls. I do not even know why I care; I suppose being a car guy plays into it.
__________________
2014 Focus SE w/sport package - Oxford White
1988 Chevy Beretta GTU - 1 of 138 with only 17k - Mint
2013 Honda CBR 250 R w/ABS - Red
Wife - 2013 Focus SE - Ruby Red
2014SESPORT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,034
FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SESPORT View Post
As a dealer employee, I can vouch for this 100%. Most dealers do not hire detailers; they hire lot guys and call them detailers, our store included. My sales guy already knew not to even have them clean my car for delivery last week.

They will throw a fast wax on like Malco's Flash Wax which is actually a nice wet look wax but after one wash it is gone. Some of the bulk detail supplies these outfits sell are terrible. I have seen everything from the tire shine from some of these vendors actually discoloring bumpers,etc. I cringe just looking at some of the stuff in our detail dept. Those snow removers should not even be allowed into a dealership. Those do nothing but damage paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SESPORT View Post
Amen brother! The local BP station just built a car wash with the brushes. I instructed my wife to NEVER take her car through it. Well, I told my entire family and friends for that matter! Haha!

As for the dealerships, you're spot on. People think a scratch is something that goes through the paint. They have no clue. Every so often they will sell to someone who has a clue. Last week they sold an Ingot Silver SE hatch to a guy. The paper towels they use are terrible, so when they cleaned his windows the goof balls went right over the appliques on the doors and put all kinds of swirls on them. The owner did not accept it and wanted new appliques. I would have done the same, employee or not.

What makes me mad is none of these "detail" guys take any pride in their work; I am not saying every person who works in clean up in a dealer is like this as we had a guy who could detail but as I said in another thread the guy wanted more money and they would not accommodate him so he left and there are guys/girls out there who do know their stuff.

It just frustrates me when I see the sun shine in the right direction on the used car lot and see all of the swirls. I do not even know why I care; I suppose being a car guy plays into it.
My store included= it boils down to the oh mighty dallar= dealer profits vs pro's & the products. I've had to do many cars when I worked in the dealers b/s for over 10yrs & then the sales dept gets charged for for the work & they bitch. What do they expect?
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.