Another Blasted Problem! Crankshaft Removal - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
4zfed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62273
What I Drive: 2000 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 4zfed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another Blasted Problem! Crankshaft Removal

So, I'm still wrestling with this @#%! car. It dropped the valve seat in #4. I pulled the head, replaced the piston and rod, put on a rebuilt head, and reassembled. Went to set the crank gear to the mark to install the timing belt and the bolt for the harmonic balancer that I was using to turn the crank, sheared off!

Now I'm trying to remove the crankshaft so I can bring it to a machine shop to have the stud drilled out and am finding that the plate on the gear end is holding things up. Is it possible to drop the crankshaft with the engine in the car or am I just beating my head against a wall?

I removed 5 small bolts from that plate, but the front portion seems to still be holding fast. Is there a sixth bolt?

Once I loosen that plate I'm assuming it will drop out now that I have taken all the rod and main bearings off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Bit confused by the description.

Are you trying to remove the crank with the transmission still attached to the engine?

If the small bolts mentioned are for the torque converter (automatic trans) attachment to the geared plate, there still is a central "boss" that sticks into the crank from the center of the torque converter. Separating trans from engine is the only way to release that.

Does sound like a bit of head banging....

luck

S.R. #275

Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
4zfed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62273
What I Drive: 2000 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 4zfed Good Standing Member
After actually thinking about this, I believe it is impossible with the transmission (manual) still attached (input shaft connection, DUH!). I will have to either pull the engine/transmission assembly together or reassemble, bite the bullet and have it towed to a shop.

Thanks though.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Oh yeah, for sure the manual has the same issue with crank removal. Trans. input shaft sticks into pilot hole in crank just as the boss in the center of a torque converter does.

Harbor Freight has an engine support bar that spans the engine bay to hold up engine when replacing mounts, pulling trans., etc.. I think it's about $50, maybe less. Just put main cap back on loose so the crank doesn't try to come out with the trans! Might be easier than putting the engine back together & removing the whole assembly.

Luck

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks