2003 focus TDCI pulling my hair out problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
steve24rdg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118711
What I Drive: 2003 silver Focus 1.8 TDCI

FF Reputation: 1 steve24rdg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 focus TDCI pulling my hair out problem

Hi there, I hope (if you dont mind) somebody here can give me some guidance in troubleshooting the most bizarre problem I have ever come across with a car.
I am a senior technician for a heavy equipment, so I do know my way around common rail injection systems.
It is a 2003 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI, I pulled the engine out for complete rebuild after a small end failure. The turbo was rebuilt with a new cassette, the injectors were stripped, cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and re assembled following guidelines from Delphi.
The engine went back in and was running fine in my workshop throughout the whole rev range.
Took the car for a run around the block all was well until I pulled back into my workshop and it stalled. Then it would re start, run for maybe 5 seconds (sometimes a bit more) then cut out again, same thing over and over with it becoming more difficult to re start. once started if you rev the engine it will run for as long as you keep the revs up, it is a bit rough though. (no MIL light flashes at any time)
I thought that it must be a fuel pressure or injector problem, so I put it on the IDS and it shows that fuel pressure is fine. during crank I had well over 150 bar, at idle, if I remember, was ell over 250.
disconnecting the injectors and the fuel fuel modulating valve on the pump showed that the pressures are all good. the crank test showed pressure rises from 250 bar to 1500 in 5 seconds. at stop cranking dropping off to about 500 over the next 5 seconds. IDS says these results are good.
Injector leak off test shows that all injectors are within limits.
I re did all of the above tests using a separate fuel source held above the engine, with the same results..
Error codes show that there are a couple of recurring events but never at the same time. I have had P0234 turbo over pressure (checked out turbo, works fine) checked map sensor, unplugged the sensor harness reads 5v power 2.5v at signal and earth are all fine.
IDS test on map fails due to "communication error"
But as I have the correct readings on the map plug I assume that the PCM is generating the correct voltages for the map. I cant find a wiring diagram to test continuity between the MAP sensor and the PCM.
Datalogging on IDS shows that the MAP pressure at adle is 985mBar, engine off 1bar, engine accelerated 1.5bar ish.
Other errors during self test shows communication fail of PCM, but it if I delete error codes re crank engine and re check error codes, more often than not the PCM will have passed its test.
So after all this I thought maybe there was a software glitch in the PCM and tried to re program it. Unfortunately this failed to complete due to error code 11 -0x0 851082.
IDS said that it I must perform a IPM to fix this error.
I tried this and this failed also. with a code that appeared Task Man error 12 56 1114687.
I have no idea what these error codes relate to.
I thought that there maybe a wiring fault between the obd11 connector pin 13 (flash reprogram volt). Testing this pin showed no voltage or earth. Tracing the wire to a connector in the passenger foot-well showed that I had continuity from the obd11 pin and the connector. Looking at the other side of the connector showed that there is NO WIRE INSTALLED??? I would have thought that if you are to re program the PCM this wire needs to go to the PCM???
This has left the car unable to crank due to the immobilizer stopping this.
Can somebody please help me here?
How can I re program the PCM? I followed information I found on the net which you can manually enter the vehicle type to carry out PCM re programming, but this fails too.
I cant find a wiring diagram to the PCM, any information on the 2 error codes during PCM programming or anyone else who has had similar problems.
any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Not sure about French Foci (or diesels...though I sure wish we had those here), but my understanding of programming PCMs is that you can't. At least not without modification, anyway. The lack of a wire from the flash pin would seem to indicate that too.
You can buy programmables or, if this is a one-off, get the dealer to flash it. Might be worth a shot at this point.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
steve24rdg
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply.
Not sure I want to take it to Fords, I have lost confidence in our dealer. Several times they have failed to repair faults and have happily ripped me off in the process.

Anyone else have any ideas? does anyone have a pinout diagram for this PCM?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Doesn't have to be a dealer, btw. Again, not sure who you could try there, but here the bigger auto parts places do this also. Internet too, if you can live without your module for a few weeks.

This might be blindingly obvious, but are you using the right key? The passive anti-theft system might be locking you out if the key transponder is not matched. Not trying to insult your intelligence, I just know sometimes for me the answer is far simpler than all the complicated stuff I've been doing.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
steve24rdg
Focus Rookie

Definately the right key. It would start before I tried re progrmming the damn pcm.
I'll see if I can find someone else who can do it.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Torquepen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128538
What I Drive: 2004, Grey Focus Mk1 Diesel

FF Reputation: 1 Torquepen Good Standing Member
Hi. Hope this helps some. I have just brought a TDCI engine back to life after it snapped a timing belt. It had stood idle for six months & wouldn't run until I stripped & cleaned all four Delphi injectors.
The point is they still give me trouble & word on the street is that the tolerances are too tight on the needles. My car still suffers almost every day from 'the judders' especially now the fuel is colder & thicker.
I think it's a purely mechanical problem with these injectors.

Stuart
Old 12-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I was going to look for a better fuel filter but there's too many options.
Generally though, the better the fuel filter, the better the car will run.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
steve24rdg
Focus Rookie

I was thinking maybe injectors too. But another strange thing that may also be partially or wholly to blame is a strange barometric pressure reading of 47inHg constant with key on engine off and engine running.
Map pressure reading varies from 32ish at idle to 38 max rpm.
so the car would seem to think, I believe, that it is Below see level.
Some people say that the baro sensor is inside the PCM, which i think may be true for pre 2002 models. Mine is later.
Others say that the baro pressure is taken by the map sensor before engine start and held in the keep alive memory.
I cant find a definitive answer, or how to go about fixing this.
I have already swapped the PCM for another with the same results.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve24rdg View Post
Error codes show that there are a couple of recurring events but never at the same time. I have had P0234 turbo over pressure (checked out turbo, works fine) checked map sensor, unplugged the sensor harness reads 5v power 2.5v at signal and earth are all fine.

IDS test on map fails due to "communication error"

But as I have the correct readings on the map plug I assume that the PCM is generating the correct voltages for the map. I cant find a wiring diagram to test continuity between the MAP sensor and the PCM.
Datalogging on IDS shows that the MAP pressure at adle is 985mBar, engine off 1bar, engine accelerated 1.5bar ish.

Other errors during self test shows communication fail of PCM, but it if I delete error codes re crank engine and re check error codes, more often than not the PCM will have passed its test.

steve

That is a problem. The MAP should read the same KOEO and KOER. As you know a diesel does not make vacuum.
So if the sensor says you are, there's a problem. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak. But if you have a communication error (but you're getting results which I'm confused on) I'd go with the sensor or wiring to being the main issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve24rdg View Post
I was thinking maybe injectors too. But another strange thing that may also be partially or wholly to blame is a strange barometric pressure reading of 47inHg constant with key on engine off and engine running.

Map pressure reading varies from 32ish at idle to 38 max rpm.
so the car would seem to think, I believe, that it is Below see level.
Some people say that the baro sensor is inside the PCM, which i think may be true for pre 2002 models. Mine is later.
Others say that the baro pressure is taken by the map sensor before engine start and held in the keep alive memory.

I cant find a definitive answer, or how to go about fixing this.
I have already swapped the PCM for another with the same results.

Now being you've replaced the PCM and have the same results with the MAP, that says very loudly that the MAP is a problem.

You only want to test the MAP with it plugged in.
You should have 5v on the power side (+/- 0.3v). The Sig Rtn is the wire the PCM reads as a measured Baro Pressure and I'm not sure on what it should be other than KOEO and KOER should be equal or KOER might read higher Baro. The ground should read the remainder of Power minus Sig Rtn; so always less then 5v.

I used to have a copy of the Euro Ford Service Manual, but I'm not sure what I did with it. So i can't give you anything specific unfortunately. And the US stuff I do have does not have anything for the small Ford diesels, trucks only.

Possibly, and I looked but was unable to find a Euro version, you may be able to find a Ford site similar to --> https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vd...&menuIndex1=10
It is good material for helping to understand how the systems work together and sometimes will give reference values.

I did find something about when changing injectors that they need to be coded into the PCM. I'm not sure if that applies to rebuilding stock injectors also or not. I wouldn't think so because I'd imagine that code has to do with orifice size, internal resistance and basically how the injector functions electronically.

On your loosing signal to the OBDII connector, that is generally a fuse on the underhood fuse box. I can't recall the # but it should be in an owners manual. And if in doubt, check them all. I believe it was a small Amp fuse, 5 or 10 amp.

I'm not sure if I can be more help or not. But I'll keep an eye out and help as much as I can.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Torquepen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128538
What I Drive: 2004, Grey Focus Mk1 Diesel

FF Reputation: 1 Torquepen Good Standing Member
Just to say that my thinking the Delphi injectors were to blame for the juddering performance I was getting was incorrect. I was directed to look for a common crack which occurs on the pipe elbow coming from the airbox. It cracks on the underside where people pull up the airbox cover to change the filter. It's the wrong side of the airflow sensor & sends it, and the engine, haywire (judders) on revving.
I found a two inch crack & RTV'd it up. Problem vanished in an instant.

Bookmarks & Social Networks