Central lock issue - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107906
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 simonfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Central lock issue

Greetings focusfanatics,
I have since the cold weather started noticed the central lock is not working as it used to. After I open the driver's door the rest of the doors remain locked and have to manually open them. After a few minutes I can hear the noise of the central lock (as it used to whenever I opened the driver door), it seems as if the cold temperature has an impact on its function and I was wondering if there is anything to do in order to bring it back to its normal position where it opens all the doors when I use the key.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
truk14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82965
What I Drive: 2003 red Focus SE wagon 5spd Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 truk14 Good Standing Member
Does it work correctly after the car has warmed up? I know in my car the central locking module in the passenger kick area has two relays on it, one for drivers door, and one for the rest. I had to piggyback my drivers door onto the other relay (or replace the relay, but I have them all open at once anyway.) Any chance the cold could be causing the relay to fail?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107906
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 simonfocus Good Standing Member
Yes it works correctly after the the car has been warmed up which is from few minutes up to 10-15 minutes where I can hear the noise of the lock system. I am suspecting the cold weather to be causing it as I noticed it since we received the cold weather this winter, but it could also be that parts of the system is getting old, like the relays, which needs to be replaced/cleaned, but I am not sure at all.
Recently I was out shopping with my wife, after we came back in the car the lock system was not working again, even though the engine was warm enough, and it got activated again while I was driving back home. Thats why I feel the cold temperature/moisture could be the culprit.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
truk14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82965
What I Drive: 2003 red Focus SE wagon 5spd Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 truk14 Good Standing Member
Best bet to be sure is to open it enough to get access to the relay. Do it when it's cold and doesn't work. Unlock the door, and then tap on the relay. If it fires, that's probably your issue. If not, I'd check the voltage across the sides of the relay. That's assuming you have a meter and know-how to do that though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->