current values of salvaged title SVTF? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
thedubsack85
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43068
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 thedubsack85 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
current values of salvaged title SVTF?

Hello all, Long lime lurker... Loved the SVTF since i was a youngin at UTI Here in socal in 2003-2004, Making a change from a truck to a car which brings me here! I was not even trying to look for an SVTF but a few have turned up and both are similar due to salvage title. But asking prices are far apart..

The details...
02 with 134K, salvage title but clean smog and listed as having alot of new parts recently installed to the tune of about 1,500. Asking just under 3k flat black exterior, Red black interior.

03 with 84K and a salvage title with a CEL and recent dealer plates. Blue with blue black interior and recent dealer plates asking 3800 OBO.
^ id offer like 3300 MAX For the record..

Thoughts? Opinions? I mean i know if i buy a salvage title that it wont be worth anything down the road but im not concerned about that as id be keeping it for the long haul as a DD! Seeing as the worst i get for winter is rain and sub fifty degree temps.. I love socal!

I posted a thread cause the only ones i found while searching were old!

Last edited by thedubsack85; 01-14-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,826, Level 25
Points: 1,826, Level: 25 Points: 1,826, Level: 25 Points: 1,826, Level: 25
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
to FF, dubsack! Both are over priced for non re-saleable vehicles. If you haven't already, read the threads found here: http://forums.focaljet.com/forum215/
and here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174747
If you can't get a documented service/repair history, plan on spending $600/$1000 for a new timing belt assembly, at the very least. It's possible that an improperly done T-belt replacement could be the cause of the CEL on the '04.
While an SVT can be a very satisfying DD, it can be frustrating too, as evidenced by numerous threads posted here, and on FJ. If you have the tools, and are able to do your own service work, you will be much better off for it. Even better if you have a garage where you can do your wrenching. Bear in mind, that these are at least ten year old cars, and some parts are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.
My own preference, given the mileage of each car, would be the '04, but sight unseen, I couldn't recommend either one. Check SVTs for sale here, and on FJ, they are often a better choice than a used car dealer's offering?
Again, a documented service history is key. Good luck, I hope you get a good one, be it one of the two mentioned, or another that may come along later on.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
thedubsack85
Focus Rookie

Im more than able to do all my own work and if i cant do it ive got a family friend with a shop and a wholesale hook up at ford! I Have done all the work on all of my car's! And i made alittle bit of a typo, Both are similar years and the one with 84K is asking 3800 not 4800. Still of course before buying either id have a lengthy road test and run check for codes/ask for service history! Could be something simple! Id love to buy a member's ride but most are in the 4.5+K range and that's just out side my budget! (some even salvage title for that much!) AS i would offer 3K for the one asking more, And like 2600 to the one with documents and higher miles. Just wondering what a vaule would be as KBB is of no help! Id only buy one if it came up with the right deal and price! cause im in socal everything is very expensive! except insurance! Lol go figure! Ill do some more searching thank you!

My original plan was if either checked out enough to buy i could pick one up and have about 1K in emergency repair funds if anything really hit the fan! I know it's a gamble buying salvage title but if it's straight and runs okay why the hell not! RE-edited O.P.

The one with higher miles states documents of atleast current service of clutch, water pump and thermostat housing, Tune up, a recent clean smog... The only reason i would even consider it! i will report back! I joined FJ and all they have is cars that are across the country!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
nvmaddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68677
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 nvmaddog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
to FF, dubsack! Both are over priced for non re-saleable vehicles. If you haven't already, read the threads found here: http://forums.focaljet.com/forum215/
and here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174747
If you can't get a documented service/repair history, plan on spending $600/$1000 for a new timing belt assembly, at the very least. It's possible that an improperly done T-belt replacement could be the cause of the CEL on the '04.
While an SVT can be a very satisfying DD, it can be frustrating too, as evidenced by numerous threads posted here, and on FJ. If you have the tools, and are able to do your own service work, you will be much better off for it. Even better if you have a garage where you can do your wrenching. Bear in mind, that these are at least ten year old cars, and some parts are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.
My own preference, given the mileage of each car, would be the '04, but sight unseen, I couldn't recommend either one. Check SVTs for sale here, and on FJ, they are often a better choice than a used car dealer's offering?
Again, a documented service history is key. Good luck, I hope you get a good one, be it one of the two mentioned, or another that may come along later on.
^^^This is fantastic advice.

Just note that cars are generally worth at least 35-40% less with a salvage title or more depending what happened to them.
2002 Red 3 Door SVTF #2458
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

Points 605, Level 12
Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12 Points: 605, Level: 12
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
Honestly I wouldn't bother with a Salvaged title, those are probably cars that should have been parts cars in all likely hood. I'm guessing front end damage and insurance totaled it out.

The first one, might be be worth it for say 25-28 hundred. Flat black is probably to cover the damage that was fixed. $1500 parts is a lot, figure was was maintenance (which is good) and what was replace because it was broken. If theres no codes on and everything feels good, its an ok buy.

The second one, you should not touch. If the dealership wont deal with a code they don't need to sell it. Not to mention with that kind of title its just not worth the price when you can find working SVT for less than 4k in that kind of condition (actually better when you consider that you get a clean title)

Last; a FF or FJ member probably will sell you a good working car that the extra 1k is totally worth it. There was an ST (other side of the country from you) that was being sold for about 6k, clean SAP package, lowered, HIDs, Intake exhaust, SVT rims/tires, premium leather interior (looked stock, not swapped). Now for anyone looking for a focus that was THE one to buy, worth the cost of a ticket and cab fair. I know your not looking to spend that much right now, but if your total budget is 5k there has to be someone in socal willing to let you have their well cared for SVTF for less that, and it probably wouldn't need so much as an oil change.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
thedubsack85
Focus Rookie

The one with a CEL im going to stay far away from... If it looks straight, Feels good and drives well id consider it after speaking to the guy's mechanic who he bought it from a few years back (just what he said have not looked at it yet) I know that if the story does not add up and the car does not feel good just walk! Which i would have no problem doing! Then id most likely get a base zx3 and do some work to her! Lol i want something i can work on that's fun to drive and get's good mpgs!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
FullthrottleSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104762
What I Drive: 02 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue

Points 208, Level 4
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FullthrottleSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
for 5k you can get a clean title, clean car, maybe that just needs a timing belt and tune up. Maybe around 80-110k miles.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
seraniko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121529
What I Drive: svtf svtf civic tacoma valkyrie

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 seraniko Good Standing Member
tops 500.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,480, Level 30
Points: 2,480, Level: 30 Points: 2,480, Level: 30 Points: 2,480, Level: 30
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For $5k you can get a clean 07 zx3 with 40k miles and a manual trans, I wouldn't give $1k for any of the salvaged svtf's I see for sale in socal.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,747, Level 73
Points: 12,747, Level: 73 Points: 12,747, Level: 73 Points: 12,747, Level: 73
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat".

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.