Another new ST2 owner - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another new ST2 owner

So I guess I just joined the relatively small club of ST owners. Mine is an ST2 Tangerine Scream with the matching yellow recaro seats with Navigation and moonroof. I traded in my titanium Hatch 5spd for it during black friday since the deal offered to me was too good to pass up. We still have our 2012 Focus SE Sport with the DCT (and don't plan on getting rid of that car) so this is not an issue of getting rid of the Focus because of the DCT. The SE Sport has been such a competent vehicle for us (plus the wifey doesn't do stick). That being said, I find myself giggling like a school kid every time I take the ST for a spin. The car is that good!

Because I had gotten used to some of the amenities of the Ti Hatch, I had to make sure the ST I purchased was an ST2 or above. I eventually settled on the ST2 since most of the extras you get with an ST3 were not a priority to me, even though the car I did get does have Navigation and it also includes a moon roof.

In the week or so since I've had it, here are some of my observations between the ST, SE Sport and the Ti Hatch that I traded in:

1. Although the ST and Ti Hatch have similarities in terms of amenities and suspension, the ecoboost engine and the 6spd manual contained in the ST make that car feel completely different when I drive. I especially like the feeling when the extra power kicks in 2nd gear...it pushes me back into the recaro seats. Speaking of recaros...

2. I personally like the recaro seats. They fit me fine (I am not a big dude) and they really do hold you in place. If you are not on the slim side, I can imagine the recaros may not be comfortable for you. That being said, I think the SE sport seats are the best "universal" option. I would say they are even slightly better than the leather seats that were in my Ti Hatch...but just barely. (that is a testament to how good the SE sports seats are).

3. The suspension on the ST is firm just like the ones that were in my Ti Hatch. However, I am still surprised how well the SE Sport suspension handles. It is definitely not as firm as the ST, but its firm enough to give the SE Sport a "well planted" feel on the road. I feel lucky to have purchased that car when I did, since they stop selling an SE Sport equivalent in 2013 (although my understanding is that they are back for 2014). Anyone interested in getting an SE Focus should consider getting the Sport option if it still exists.

4. Never had a problem with MyFord Touch and the latest OS 3.6.2 is pretty stable. My SE has only MyFord but not with the App Link option that some later model users have. I think Ford made a mistake saying that SE owners could upgrade their sync systems to include app link then to essentially backtrack. The sony system is the best stock system I've ever owned in a car.

5. Didn't have navigation before I got the ST. I think I could live without it (especially if you have a smart phone with google maps or warz). That being said, the navigation works well and when coupled with Sirius Traffic Link, its pretty comprehensive, meaning that it tells you on the display if there are traffic delays and stuff like that. Again, you get all that info with google maps so its not like folks who don't have navigation can't get that stuff by other means.

6. The moon roof is an option that I didn't think I wanted but its nice to have. I only open the moon roof at night. Its pretty much hot year round in South Florida so opening the moonroof at night brings a nice breeze into the car without turning on the AC.

7. If you are accustomed to getting high MPG out of your car, prepare to take a hit if you get the ST (although the hit is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be). With the SE Sport, I can easily get close to 40 MPG on the highway. During my daily commute I would average anywhere between 30 - 32 MPG combined, and that's with mostly city driving (60 city / 40 highway). With the ST, the best I could get with all highway driving is 31.5 MPG (not bad). On my first tank of gas, i averaged 24.7 MPG and halfway through my second tank, I am up to 27.2 MPG. Not bad, but not as good as the SE Sport.

8. The ST brings the fun factor to driving but I am still impressed with the SE Sport's competent DCT. Yeah I know some folks have had issues with theirs, but when it runs properly, it does a good job of emulating some of the responsive characteristics of a manual. I don't get tired of driving that car. The 5spd manual in Ti Hatch has been tested and is a rock solid platform, but the 6spd if just a better gearbox imho. Ford should come out with a 6spd equivalent although I acknowledge that the take rate for a manual transmission might not justify the costs.

Hope this helps. So far, I'm loving the ST and I'll post some pictures soon when I get the chance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
So I guess I just joined the relatively small club of ST owners. Mine is an ST2 Tangerine Scream with the matching yellow recaro seats with Navigation and moonroof. I traded in my titanium Hatch 5spd for it during black friday since the deal offered to me was too good to pass up. We still have our 2012 Focus SE Sport with the DCT (and don't plan on getting rid of that car) so this is not an issue of getting rid of the Focus because of the DCT. The SE Sport has been such a competent vehicle for us (plus the wifey doesn't do stick). That being said, I find myself giggling like a school kid every time I take the ST for a spin. The car is that good!

Because I had gotten used to some of the amenities of the Ti Hatch, I had to make sure the ST I purchased was an ST2 or above. I eventually settled on the ST2 since most of the extras you get with an ST3 were not a priority to me, even though the car I did get does have Navigation and it also includes a moon roof.

In the week or so since I've had it, here are some of my observations between the ST, SE Sport and the Ti Hatch that I traded in:

1. Although the ST and Ti Hatch have similarities in terms of amenities and suspension, the ecoboost engine and the 6spd manual contained in the ST make that car feel completely different when I drive. I especially like the feeling when the extra power kicks in 2nd gear...it pushes me back into the recaro seats. Speaking of recaros...

2. I personally like the recaro seats. They fit me fine (I am not a big dude) and they really do hold you in place. If you are not on the slim side, I can imagine the recaros may not be comfortable for you. That being said, I think the SE sport seats are the best "universal" option. I would say they are even slightly better than the leather seats that were in my Ti Hatch...but just barely. (that is a testament to how good the SE sports seats are).

3. The suspension on the ST is firm just like the ones that were in my Ti Hatch. However, I am still surprised how well the SE Sport suspension handles. It is definitely not as firm as the ST, but its firm enough to give the SE Sport a "well planted" feel on the road. I feel lucky to have purchased that car when I did, since they stop selling an SE Sport equivalent in 2013 (although my understanding is that they are back for 2014). Anyone interested in getting an SE Focus should consider getting the Sport option if it still exists.

4. Never had a problem with MyFord Touch and the latest OS 3.6.2 is pretty stable. My SE has only MyFord but not with the App Link option that some later model users have. I think Ford made a mistake saying that SE owners could upgrade their sync systems to include app link then to essentially backtrack. The sony system is the best stock system I've ever owned in a car.

5. Didn't have navigation before I got the ST. I think I could live without it (especially if you have a smart phone with google maps or warz). That being said, the navigation works well and when coupled with Sirius Traffic Link, its pretty comprehensive, meaning that it tells you on the display if there are traffic delays and stuff like that. Again, you get all that info with google maps so its not like folks who don't have navigation can't get that stuff by other means.

6. The moon roof is an option that I didn't think I wanted but its nice to have. I only open the moon roof at night. Its pretty much hot year round in South Florida so opening the moonroof at night brings a nice breeze into the car without turning on the AC.

7. If you are accustomed to getting high MPG out of your car, prepare to take a hit if you get the ST (although the hit is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be). With the SE Sport, I can easily get close to 40 MPG on the highway. During my daily commute I would average anywhere between 30 - 32 MPG combined, and that's with mostly city driving (60 city / 40 highway). With the ST, the best I could get with all highway driving is 31.5 MPG (not bad). On my first tank of gas, i averaged 24.7 MPG and halfway through my second tank, I am up to 27.2 MPG. Not bad, but not as good as the SE Sport.

8. The ST brings the fun factor to driving but I am still impressed with the SE Sport's competent DCT. Yeah I know some folks have had issues with theirs, but when it runs properly, it does a good job of emulating some of the responsive characteristics of a manual. I don't get tired of driving that car. The 5spd manual in Ti Hatch has been tested and is a rock solid platform, but the 6spd if just a better gearbox imho. Ford should come out with a 6spd equivalent although I acknowledge that the take rate for a manual transmission might not justify the costs.

Hope this helps. So far, I'm loving the ST and I'll post some pictures soon when I get the chance.
nice write-up! thanks for that. i agree with your opinions on the sony stereo and DCT (when it's functioning correctly). i also think the cloth seats are more comfortable than the leather and the cloth seems to be quite robust too. a couple of questions:

1) how many miles do you have on the SE?

2) what kind of deal did you get on your trade-in?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
nice write-up! thanks for that. i agree with your opinions on the sony stereo and DCT (when it's functioning correctly). i also think the cloth seats are more comfortable than the leather and the cloth seems to be quite robust too. a couple of questions:

1) how many miles do you have on the SE?

After 28 months of ownership, we have put 38K miles

2) what kind of deal did you get on your trade-in?
They gave me 16K for the car which was slightly more than I owed but barely.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
They gave me 16K for the car which was slightly more than I owed but barely.
that's very good. was it a 13? what was the price of the ST?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
that's very good. was it a 13? what was the price of the ST?
The ST was a '13. I paid 22.5K for it
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Laminar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81298
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Laminar Good Standing Member
Quote:
What did the '12 Sport have that the '13 SE Appearance package didn't? I have the ST1 seats in leather, 17" wheels, and 4 wheel discs. Has anyone found that the actual suspension components are different?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
The ST was a '13. I paid 22.5K for it
you got a great deal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks