Replace original springs when doing struts/shocks? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks everyone - I've actually found some great prices on OEM stuff and am going full OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've used the Monroe Quick units and hated them...I also like OEM strut mounts and bearings vs. either KYB or Monroe, both of which are IMHO inferior...Nothing worse than doing a strut job then getting a clunk in your front end months later due to a cheap failed strut mount or bearing...My factory springs were totally fine, so I didn't change them out.
fair enough. I've used Monroe/Gabriel parts since the '80s, but with all of the corporate mergers and offshoring to China, all of the old reliable US brands are crapshoots nowadays. Home appliances have also fallen into that hole.

I only recommend Monroe to folks on the forum who are looking for an OEM ride; a 10-year old Ford doesn't need any help in going harsher! And I recommend the QuickStruts to anyone with a 10+ year old Focus because of the known recall issue with the factory coil springs collapsing.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
syncro87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113430
What I Drive: 05 Wagon auto, 01 Wagon 5-spd

FF Reputation: 4 syncro87 Good Standing Member
Agreed. Brand name means little anymore in many cases. You're right about appliances as well, from what I can tell. I bought refrigerator not too long ago. I went to a huge store we have here called Nebraska Furniture Mart that carries a bazillion appliance lines. You can buy a fridge there from $750 to $7,500. I managed to snag a fairly straight up sales guy, miraculously. Anyway, we were talking about quality vs price. I told him I didn't mind paying for higher quality. His response was that in his experience, price had little to nothing to do with how long the fridge would last or how few repairs you'd have. It's all junk to a large extent, he said. I had to laugh. He told me they see as many problems or returns on the cheap or expensive units, no difference. His advice was to buy a fairly inexpensive model because they'd all last about 10 years before they died or became uneconomical to repair. Probably true. So I bought the $900 fridge, not the fancy $2000+ unit. They both keep food cold the same and like he said will probably die around the same time. I actually got a GE made in the USA, which was a surprise to me that you could still get a decent US made unit.

So far, I've noticed that Moog suspension parts still seem to be high quality. Who knows how long that will last, though.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moog started as a side business for Moog Aerospace, basically the owner liked playing with bikes, cars etc., and thought there was room in the market for some quality parts.

Got sold off long ago, lost track of the current corporate ownership - you never know how long they'll stick with the Original philosophy that got them going.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks